March 24, 2019, 07:09:16 PM

Author Topic: My plan. What is yours?  (Read 2213 times)

Offline footballdad

• Starter
My plan. What is yours?
« on: December 31, 2018, 09:20:02 AM »
Trying to address things here in a chronilogical order.

#1 - Hire a coach.
HC - Matt LaFleur (Titans)
DC - Mike Pettine
OC - Head coaches choice.
ST - Brant Boyer (Jets)

Free agency - Packer free agents. Re-sign.
UFA - Breeland
RFA - Allison
ERFA - Tonyan, Kumerow, McCray, Patrick, Gilbert, Donnerson.

Cut:
Nick Perry - cap savings 3.6 mil
Brian Bulaga - cap savings 6.75 mil
Jimmy Graham - cap savings 5.3 mil (possible trade potential)
Deshone Kizer - approx 1 mil in cap savings.
These moves would put the packers at about 54 mil in cap space heading into free agency

UFA I would be interested in pursuing. Cannot sign them all but a few would be nice. Best guess at salary.
CB - Breeland - 6 to 6.5 mil
TE - Jared Cook - 7.5 mil
S - Tre Boston - 4 mil
OLB/Edge - Dee Ford - 16 mil
G - Roger Saffold - 7 mil
RT - Bobbie Massie - 7 mil
DT - Sheldon Richardson - 8 to 10 mil.

Draft - depends on free agency - 1st round guys I would be interested in who have a realistic chance of being there at 12 and guessing 30. No particular order.
DT - Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
S - Juan Thornhill - Virginia
Edge - Montez Sweat - Mississippi State
ILB - Devin White - LSU
ILB - Mack Wilson - Alabama
TE - Noah Fant - Iowa

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
Re: My plan. What is yours?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 09:36:47 AM »
A quick turnaround is possible - but it isn't going to be easy.  The Bears and Vikings are ahead of this team in talent and both have solid staffs.  Maybe the Bears can be weakened when the Packers pick Vic Fangio to be the next coach.  And, with next years schedule, it really isn't an easy one.  But, here is my quick turnaround recipe. 

Just playing around here - so don't take like I know everything or more than anyone else. 

Vic Fangio hired as Head Coach
Adam Gase hired as OC
Mike Pettine retained as DC

Cut/Waived/Not re-signed (notable players only):

Randall Cobb
Clay Matthews
Bryan Bulaga
Nick Perry
Marcees Lewis
Muhammad Wilkerson
Byron Bell
Jimmy Graham
Time to cut the fat on the roster and move on from some un-productive veterans that are eating up a lot of salary cap space. 

Players Re-signed:

Reggie Gilbert
Robert Tonyan
Geronimo Allison
Young guys that are more depth guys rather than impact players. 

Free Agents Signed

WR JJ Nelson (Arizona)  Rodgers wants a slot guy - well this guy can fly.  4.28 in he 40.  Ultra quick would be that gadget guy that the top offenses have. 
 S Adrian Phillips (Chargers)  Has improved every year and at 27, is just hitting his prime.  Not afraid to tackle and gets around the ball.  Is a solid defender. 
 G JR Sweezy (Seahawks)  Plays the left side for Seattle, but is a veteran and would move to RG easily. Tough guy and all reports are he is a locker room leader. 
LB  KJ Wright (Seahawks)  Could go inside alongside Martinez if the Packers stay with a 3-4 or slide outside.  Not what he once was, but still a tough guy.   
Edge Ziggy Ansah (Lions)  The Packers will have to pay him big - 3 years - $17 million a year seems to be the value attached to him. 
TE Maxx Williams (Ravens)  Lost in the Ravens depth at TE - but is a good blocker with solid hands.  Young guy yet at 24 could develop into a solid TE. 

Outside of Ansah - none of the others will break the bank and all will be guys that will step in immediately and play. 

Draft

1A - OT Jonah Williams (Alabama) or OT Greg Little (Ole Miss)  Either would plug automatically into the RT spot and be the starter.  Not a splash pick for sure, but a huge need at RT will be filled for years to come. 
1B - TE Noah Fant (Iowa).  A couple TE's will probably be available with this pick.  Fant seems to make plays and can get down the field. 

These guys add immediately to the team and in positions of need.  It is fun to prognosticate and play along. Who knows what will happen, but one thing is for certain, an influx from free agency is needed and not just for depth, but for impact. 

Fill out the draft with another OL - another S - and a couple of DL.  I think the team is ok at RB with Jones and Williams. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 09:45:28 AM by phanatic1 »

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 09:38:48 AM »
I don't have as specific of a plan as you, but I generally agree with what you did, especially on the coaching part. (I'm intrigued by Lafleur but am not completely convinced he's ready to make the jump.)

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 10:29:02 AM »
I need to get my plan organized but here are a few thoughts.

I'd keep Bulaga- sure his body is breaking down but he does well when he is in there.  Not outrageous cap hit.  Can't count on getting a replacment in FA.  Draft is weak at OT but they need to draft his replacement.

Matthews- would retain him in limited role with his salary cut in half

Ansah is older - been hurt

Cook- that ship has sailed- Would get a stop gap guy- someone who can block and take a TE high.

Thanks for the list of free agents from other teams- will need to check them out

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 11:57:04 AM »
I need to get my plan organized but here are a few thoughts.

I'd keep Bulaga- sure his body is breaking down but he does well when he is in there.  Not outrageous cap hit.  Can't count on getting a replacment in FA.  Draft is weak at OT but they need to draft his replacement.

Matthews- would retain him in limited role with his salary cut in half

Ansah is older - been hurt

Cook- that ship has sailed- Would get a stop gap guy- someone who can block and take a TE high.

Thanks for the list of free agents from other teams- will need to check them out

Claiming that Ansah is "older-been hurt", but yet keeping Bulaga and Matthews in spite of them having the same issues is a real head scratcher for me.

I don't want any part of all three of those guys. Taking off my

for this evaluation.

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 12:17:54 PM »
 Need to see who the coaches will be before anything. FA will dry up quite a bit like it does every year, especially the pass rushers. I would just be careful about cutting too many players to clear cap space because its doubtful you will find replacements for all. Bulaga and Graham would have trade value, but I think Graham will be better next year.

I look at free agency like drafting really high in the 1st round, you take the best player available and shape your team around it. Will be an eventful offseason.

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 07:15:54 AM »
In an ideal world the Packers can move on from Bulaga and Matthews but this is not an ideal word.

If they move on from Bulaga their right tackle is Spriggs.  It is all well and good to talk about getting a free agent or top pick to take his place but there is no guarantee you can get a free agent or draft pick that you want

Similarly the Packers starting OLB's next year will be Frackerall and Gilbert.  Again you can try to add help but there is no guarantee you will get it.  Matthews is talking about playing 3-5 more years which ain't gonna happen.  I would offer him a contract that is essentially a series of 1 year deals so the team doesn't get burned.  If he goes elsewhere then you go to plan B.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 07:45:15 AM »
Watching the Lions game, it looked to me like Matthews was just cashing it in. He ended up with 43 tackles and 3.5 sacks on the season. Fackrell had 42 tackles and 10.5 sacks while Gilbert ended with 37 tackles and 2.5 sacks without starting a game.
Big fan of CM3 and love the effort and production he has put in over time, but it is time to move on. Same with Bulaga. They have the dollars. If they decide they want a RT they can get one. As long as he is on the roster, there is not a sense of urgency on managements part because the " maybe he can play next week" is always there.  Then they try to stopgap it instead of fixing it.
I understand your point, just looking at it from a different angle.

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 08:53:37 AM »
In an ideal world the Packers can move on from Bulaga and Matthews but this is not an ideal word.

If they move on from Bulaga their right tackle is Spriggs.  It is all well and good to talk about getting a free agent or top pick to take his place but there is no guarantee you can get a free agent or draft pick that you want

Similarly the Packers starting OLB's next year will be Frackerall and Gilbert.  Again you can try to add help but there is no guarantee you will get it.  Matthews is talking about playing 3-5 more years which ain't gonna happen.  I would offer him a contract that is essentially a series of 1 year deals so the team doesn't get burned.  If he goes elsewhere then you go to plan B.

But that is the chance you always take.  You never know.  I go back to when they let Rivera and Wahle go.  They both had started the downward slide and while everyone was up in arms about it, they were replaced by two guys that became top tier guards.  Bulaga is in the same spot.  His best years are behind him and the injury history is pretty extensive.  He has been a warrior on the OL, but his value no longer meets his performance.  I hate to see him go, but it is in the best interest of the team right now.  For me, I would rather see him retire and go out a Packer. 

As far as Matthews, I am sure he sees his value much more than what it actually is.  He has become a master of being near the ball, but getting himself away from contact.  I could be wrong here, but it seems every rush he has had the past 2 weeks was always wide and outside the tackle and nothing inside where he would see a guard waiting for him.  I don't see him becoming the answer to play alongside Martinez inside.  Fackrell and Gilbert are more productive at this point.  Neither though is the answer and that is why I would like to see Gute pursue Ansah or Dee Ford. 

Finding the right time to move on from a mainstay is tough.  I think letting Jordy Nelson was a mistake last year.  But, I get the rationale for doing it though.  This team needs upgrades all over the place and that begins by letting go aging vets. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 09:51:12 AM »

But that is the chance you always take.  You never know.  I go back to when they let Rivera and Wahle go.  They both had started the downward slide and while everyone was up in arms about it, they were replaced by two guys that became top tier guards.  Bulaga is in the same spot.  His best years are behind him and the injury history is pretty extensive.  He has been a warrior on the OL, but his value no longer meets his performance.  I hate to see him go, but it is in the best interest of the team right now.  For me, I would rather see him retire and go out a Packer. 

As far as Matthews, I am sure he sees his value much more than what it actually is.  He has become a master of being near the ball, but getting himself away from contact.  I could be wrong here, but it seems every rush he has had the past 2 weeks was always wide and outside the tackle and nothing inside where he would see a guard waiting for him.  I don't see him becoming the answer to play alongside Martinez inside.  Fackrell and Gilbert are more productive at this point.  Neither though is the answer and that is why I would like to see Gute pursue Ansah or Dee Ford. 

Finding the right time to move on from a mainstay is tough.  I think letting Jordy Nelson was a mistake last year.  But, I get the rationale for doing it though.  This team needs upgrades all over the place and that begins by letting go aging vets.

thumbsup)   goodpost goodpost   clap)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 09:55:21 AM »
It's a young mans game. If your team is getting older, you are falling behind.

Matthews, Cobb, and Bulaga all fit the profile (aging high dollar vets)

Next year will be Mike Daniels turn as he is in a contract year (2019) and will be on the wrong side of 30. Him being on IR this year is a harbinger of the future.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 10:41:48 AM »
UFA I would be interested in pursuing. Cannot sign them all but a few would be nice. Best guess at salary.
CB - Breeland - 6 to 6.5 mil
TE - Jared Cook - 7.5 mil
S - Tre Boston - 4 mil
OLB/Edge - Dee Ford - 16 mil
G - Roger Saffold - 7 mil
RT - Bobbie Massie - 7 mil

DT - Sheldon Richardson - 8 to 10 mil.

I like the idea of prioritizing some FA cash on o-line.  I'm not a scout, but solidifying the line could make a world of impact. 

Not sure what discretionary $$ the Vikings will have.  But those guys are going to be competing for o-line FA's too, I'd think. If Rodgers feels like he faces a lot of 3rd-down pressure, that's pretty much 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down for Cousins. 

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 11:40:21 AM »
These last two season have shown that without AR we are the Cleveland Browns. Despite what some have posted we need a great O line to protect him and right now ours sucks. Don’t get the ongoing love for Bulaga. Great player but just can’t stay healthy. Got to improve the right side of the O line.
“What’s going on out there”

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 11:56:52 AM »
It seems like I am in a minority on Bulaga- ( I am indifferent on keeping Clay)  I am fine with the thought of moving on from Bulaga but am not as convinced as others are that you can find a replacement given the poor state of OT's in the draft and in free agency.

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Second String
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 12:00:17 PM »
#1 - Hire a coach.
HC - Josh McDaniels (Since Murphy's guy took himself out last night after the Bowl Game)
DC - Mike Pettine
OC - Alex Van Pelt
ST / OLB - Kevin Greene

Free agency - Packer free agents. Re-sign.
UFA - Breeland CM3
RFA - Allison
ERFA - Tonyan, Kumerow, McCray, Patrick, Gilbert, Donnerson.

Cut / Let go:
Perry
Graham
Lewis
Kizer
Kendricks

CB - Breeland
TE - Jared Cook
S - Tre Boston
LB- CM3 as ILB

Draft
Pick 12:
Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan

Pick 32:
Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama
Picked to replace Bulaga eventually

Pick 44:
Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern