March 24, 2019, 06:22:51 PM

Author Topic: My plan. What is yours?  (Read 2212 times)

Offline craig

• HOF Member
Re: My plan. What is yours?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2019, 02:58:24 PM »
Since 2014 Bulaga has averaged 761 snaps per year. This season he played 782. Over the same period of time, soon to be UFA RT - Bobbie Massie from the Bears has started 76 of 80 regular season games and has averaged 987 snaps.
GB will have more cap to spend than Chicago. If they really WANT to upgrade they can. Even without cutting Bulaga.

"If they really WANT to upgrade they can."  Agree.  Massey will get a contract better than Bulaga's $5.8/1 deal, though.  If you want improvement at tackle, you'll have to spend and commit, at the expense of other targets.  I'm not arguing against that; I think O-line is a huge, top priority for me.  Just not sure that Gute will want to prioritize limited dollars for a tackle.

Offline BartyorBarrySmith

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2019, 08:40:04 PM »

[/quote]
"If they really WANT to upgrade they can."  Agree.  Massey will get a contract better than Bulaga's $5.8/1 deal, though.  If you want improvement at tackle, you'll have to spend and commit, at the expense of other targets.  I'm not arguing against that; I think O-line is a huge, top priority for me.  Just not sure that Gute will want to prioritize limited dollars for a tackle.
[/quote]

There is an advantage if you can steal a good player from a rival, but even so don't see that this is a place to make a major investment for a FA or to take risk on rookie.  I think they almost have to draft one with plans for development, But it was only a couple years ago the Packers thought they had a solid early draft pick in Spriggs -- imagine if Spriggs had to play as a rookie.  That would have been dangerous. 

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2019, 04:03:15 AM »
Good points on Bulaga by all. But there are three facts to consider.
1) While he is among the best in the game at his position, he has to be on the field.
2) If he is on the field for 12 games, what do you do for the other 4 and the playoffs? Do you even make it to the playoffs if Spriggs is on the field?
3) Whether he is kept or released, he is in the last year of his contract. Do you cross your fingers and hope he has a healthy year? Are you wasting a season of AR if you are forced to play Spriggs?

I really am not against letting him play out his contract, but think it would be a really good idea to sign someone like Massie and draft Lindstrom or Risner at guard. Worst case scenario is Bulaga gets hurt and you have your replacements right there. Best case, you have two quality starters and could slide Massie or Bulaga to right guard while the rookie is learning.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2019, 05:23:16 PM »
Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow
Follow @RobDemovsky

More
Rob Demovsky Retweeted Rob Demovsky
One more note on Bakhtiari: He finished 3rd overall among all tackles in ESPN's new pass blocking win rate. Teammate Bryan Bulaga was 2nd.

As a team, GB was No. 2 overall.

Says a lot about OL coach James Campen, one of the assistants currently in limbo.

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2019, 12:31:31 PM »
Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow
Follow @RobDemovsky

More
Rob Demovsky Retweeted Rob Demovsky
One more note on Bakhtiari: He finished 3rd overall among all tackles in ESPN's new pass blocking win rate. Teammate Bryan Bulaga was 2nd.

As a team, GB was No. 2 overall.

Says a lot about OL coach James Campen, one of the assistants currently in limbo.

I can remember when Camping was a young OL coach he was one of the most popular Coaches fans thought that needed to be replaced

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2019, 03:35:56 PM »
Good points on Bulaga by all. But there are three facts to consider.
1) While he is among the best in the game at his position, he has to be on the field.
2) If he is on the field for 12 games, what do you do for the other 4 and the playoffs? Do you even make it to the playoffs if Spriggs is on the field?
3) Whether he is kept or released, he is in the last year of his contract. Do you cross your fingers and hope he has a healthy year? Are you wasting a season of AR if you are forced to play Spriggs?

I really am not against letting him play out his contract, but think it would be a really good idea to sign someone like Massie and draft Lindstrom or Risner at guard. Worst case scenario is Bulaga gets hurt and you have your replacements right there. Best case, you have two quality starters and could slide Massie or Bulaga to right guard while the rookie is learning.

There is no doubt that there will EITHER be someone added to the roster to replace Bulaga OR someone brought in to develop behind him.  It makes little sense to cut him seeing as he is one of the best (when out there) and the right side is already the issue.  No sense in compounding the problem.  I don't see much opportunity to vastly improve on the GB budget. 

Please remember that Murphy still is on this team.  I definitely see him being given a chance as he has now had some years to bulk up. 

Spriggs will now also have another year bulking up.  Let's hope, maybe pray, that it helps.  I remember posters here saying, right after Spriggs was drafted, that he was immediately the best OL in GB.  Ouch...

Unfortunately, this is not that great a draft at OT.  That being said, I think that shoring up the line must be priority #1.  Pass rush is priority #2.  Safety is priority #3.  Breeland should be re-signed to start off the entire process.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline Redcat

• Rookie
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2019, 10:02:26 PM »
Murphy was released on Dec. 27.  He's on the Rams practice squad now.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2019, 01:58:32 PM »
Murphy was released on Dec. 27.  He's on the Rams practice squad now.

Thank you for the correction.  My point remains that I do not see Bulaga leaving.  Mission #1 is to keep AR upright.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi