June 17, 2019, 05:34:13 AM

Author Topic: Your Top 3 Coaching Candidates...  (Read 1682 times)

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
Your Top 3 Coaching Candidates...
« on: January 02, 2019, 09:05:54 AM »
Who are your Top 3 Candidates for the Packers? (and "why", if you want)

I'll preface my list by saying I don't feel that there's one "sure fire" obvious guy that's going to be picked. Murphy obviously wants to give Fitzgerald every opportunity to land the job, however, I hope that he'll eventually choose a progressive offensive mind to lead the team in 2019.

1.) Matt Lafleur (OC Titans) - This is partly based on a hunch, but I like his pedigree and the Titans offense was starting to come around in the second half of the season until Mariota was injured.

2.) Josh McDaniels (OC Pats) - I know he's the defacto "favorite". If he can get on the same page with Rodgers, they could be a dangerous duo. However, the Belichick "coaching tree" isn't exactly littered with success stories.

3.) Mike Munchak (OL Steelers) - He has Head Coaching experience, a HOF player pedigree and is generally regarded as one of the top OL coaches in the NFL. His lack of success as a head coach isn't a gigantic concern for me. (He had nothing at QB to work with)

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
Re: Your Top 3 Coaching Candidates...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 12:15:27 PM »
I revise my #3. Packers are looking at Pete Carmichael (OC Saints).

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 04:20:47 PM »
1.  Vic Fangio.  This guy always seems to have a good defense and has did a lot with a little in some cases.  Well respected defensive mind that would weaken the division champion Bears and give the Packers a leg up defending the Bears.  He would have no trouble finding a good staff after the years of being around the league.

2.  Josh McDaniels.  It is hard to argue with his offensive success with the Pats.  He has won with a veteran QB in Brady and did it without great - or even good WR's at times.  His high tempo offense would give Rodgers some freedoms at the line of scrimmage.  The obvious concern is his connection to the Pats and being what most believe to be the heir apparent to Bellichick. 

3.  Todd Monkin.  Yes, that is right.  Bucs OC that has developed to be what most say is the next offensive mind that is on the level with some of the recent hires - Matt Nagy to make a comparison.  Creative offense that uses the weapons the team has.  He would need to add a veteran DC - maybe he carries Pettine over with him. 

Adam Gase is a wildcard, but there is a reason he got fired.  It just doesn't happen without reasons.  It sounds like he had his favorites and catered to them.  That is not what this team needs.  But, he is a solid offensive coach.  The other is Dan Campbell.  He could be the CEO type coach, but will need to hire a pair of good coordinators to help him.  Maybe Joe Lombardi comes home to Green Bay with him.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 05:20:27 PM »
1.  Vic Fangio.  This guy always seems to have a good defense and has did a lot with a little in some cases.  Well respected defensive mind that would weaken the division champion Bears and give the Packers a leg up defending the Bears.  He would have no trouble finding a good staff after the years of being around the league.

2.  Josh McDaniels.  It is hard to argue with his offensive success with the Pats.  He has won with a veteran QB in Brady and did it without great - or even good WR's at times.  His high tempo offense would give Rodgers some freedoms at the line of scrimmage.  The obvious concern is his connection to the Pats and being what most believe to be the heir apparent to Bellichick. 

3.  Todd Monkin.  Yes, that is right.  Bucs OC that has developed to be what most say is the next offensive mind that is on the level with some of the recent hires - Matt Nagy to make a comparison.  Creative offense that uses the weapons the team has.  He would need to add a veteran DC - maybe he carries Pettine over with him. 

Adam Gase is a wildcard, but there is a reason he got fired.  It just doesn't happen without reasons.  It sounds like he had his favorites and catered to them.  That is not what this team needs.  But, he is a solid offensive coach.  The other is Dan Campbell.  He could be the CEO type coach, but will need to hire a pair of good coordinators to help him.  Maybe Joe Lombardi comes home to Green Bay with him.

Good post.  Not sure of the order, but I wouldn't have heartburn with any of those guys.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 06:32:13 PM »
My three are thew three I want on the team together.
Dave Toub as head coach, Adam Gase as OC, Mike Pettine as DC.
Expertise at ST (Toub), offense (Gase) and defense (Pettine). It's as close to a dream team as I can get.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 07:45:43 PM »
My top three would be:

1. Jim Caldwell-Lions should have never dumped him.

2. Jeff Tedford--discovered Aaron Rodgers and made him a great QB at Cal.  He can do it again.

3. Pat Fitzgerald--I like this guy since he wins with little talent really.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 07:46:22 PM by Gregg »

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 02:08:42 AM »
The fact of the matter is that we all have our hunches and opinions, but we don't know.  Much like evaluating players entering the nfl draft. Who has done what? How do they project moving forward? In this coaching search, I feel there are two ways they could go. Look for someone with a history of work who would be a "safe" choice. I would place Caldwell and Pagano in this category. Looking at past history with the talent available to them, both guys fielded competitive teams. Either one would probably get you 9 to 11 wins each year and be contending for the division title. Maybe more.

Next you have the guys I would classify in the "swing hard in case you hit it" category. LaFleur, Bienemy, Charmichael, and McDaniels would be in this one for me for different reasons. LaFleur because he did call plays and had limited success. Not as flashy as others but I feel he was a little limited by available talent. Would he flourish in Green Bay? Maybe. Bienemy? From the Andy Reid tree. Amazing offensive success, but since they have a lot of talent AND he is not the playcaller, how much is due to his ability or is he just along for the ride? Charmichael? History of success over a period of time, but with Payton calling plays.....? We don't know. McDaniels is to me the biggest boom or bust candidate out there. Mangini and Weis were considered masterminds coming from the Belicheck stable. Where are they now? This does not mean McDaniels will not light it up but it has to be considered.

Then in a category by himself, I have Vic Fangio. Cannot argue with his accomplishments on the defensive side of the ball. He may be the best overall candidate who has not been a head coach, but is he the best fit for GB at this time? If it is all about getting the most out of AR, is the best choice a defensive guy? Maybe - maybe not. Would all depend on who he chose for his staff if he gets to choose it himself.

I apologize for my long winded assessment. For me at this moment (all subject to change)....
1) LaFleur
2) Fangio
3) Caldwell

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 08:11:13 AM »
....Look for someone with a history of work who would be a "safe" choice. I would place Caldwell and Pagano in this category. Looking at past history with the talent available to them, both guys fielded competitive teams. Either one would probably get you 9 to 11 wins each year and be contending for the division title. Maybe more.....

I'm more inclined toward a "swing hard" guy, somebody younger and with more "might-be-great, might be genius" impact potential.  Don't think I'll be very excited about a conservative low-impact guy.  I think that's partly a different perspective from yours?  I don't think a low impact, "safe" guy is going to get us to 9-11 wins or more.  I just don't think that's the default-normal anymore, or that we have the talent to expect that.  So, I kind of feel like we need to gain an advantage somehow to catch back up, and perhaps creative more clever-than-your-average-team coaching might be one way to help gain and advantage and catch up. 

Of course, that might come from a brilliant, creative OC, even if the head coach is a good CEO but is not brilliant or creative himself.  But I guess I'm just thinking that as Rodgers and the other couple of good players on the team age, I'm not confident that "safe" will just default us back to 9-11 wins. 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 08:21:54 AM »
Josh McDaniels turned down the request by the Bungles Bengals for an interview. Maybe he has learned since his debacle in Denver, and the incompletion in Indy.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 10:15:37 AM »
McDaniels is looking for "stability". The Packers don't have a mercurial owner and a GM looking to make a desperate, "swing for the fences" hire. If things don't line up for him here, he can always just go back to New England. I'm hoping that Murphy can make a hell of a pitch tomorrow.

Offline pilprin

• Rookie
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 05:00:18 PM »
1. McDaniels - Firery and well versed in using easy routes and multiple formations.
2. Gase - Like his ability as an OC...he has not had a decent QB as a HC...
3. Carmichael - Just like his profile

I keep seeing Caldwell as a legit candidate. What has he won outside of regular season games?

Offline yourout

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 05:46:28 PM »
1. McDaniels - Firery and well versed in using easy routes and multiple formations.
2. Gase - Like his ability as an OC...he has not had a decent QB as a HC...
3. Carmichael - Just like his profile

I keep seeing Caldwell as a legit candidate. What has he won outside of regular season games?

I am very interested in Gase......would like to know more about him.

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 09:13:26 PM »
Scouting reports on Green Bay’s 10 coaching candidates
January 4, 2019

By BOB McGINN

When the Green Bay Packers interview Josh McDaniels in the next day or two they will be talking to an assistant coach that has become something of a pariah around the NFL.

At this point, it appears as if Green Bay is McDaniels’ only suitor among the eight teams looking for a football coach. The Cincinnati Bengals sought to interview McDaniels but he reportedly declined the opportunity.

As offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach of the New England Patriots, McDaniels has a narrow window to do interviews. Because the Patriots have a first-round playoff bye, McDaniels can be interviewed for the first time only through Sunday night and then not until their season ends.

The Packers have interviewed former Detroit coach Jim Caldwell, former Indianapolis coach Chuck Pagano and Joe Philbin, their interim coach for the past month. Over the weekend they are expected to interview McDaniels, New Orleans Saints assistant head coach/tight ends coach Dan Campbell and Matt LaFleur, offensive coordinator of the Tennessee Titans.

Green Bay wanted to interview Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald. However, Fitzgerald has decided not to consider NFL opportunities.

“’Fitz’ will not entertain NFL HC offers,” Bryan Harlan, his agent, said in a statement that was released Thursday night. “There have been multiple inquiries but he’s not going to talk to them.”

There also have been reports that the Packers have sought permission to interview Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak, Saints offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael and Patriots linebackers coach Brian Flores.

For now, at least, the attention will be on McDaniels. According to NFL Network, McDaniels signed a deal with the Patriots in 2018 that made him the league’s highest-paid coordinator by far with a five-year contract that at one point will pay him more than $4 million a year.

On Dec. 3, one day after the Packers fired Mike McCarthy, Bovada released odds on the next coach in Green Bay. McDaniels led at 7-4. Of the 12 others listed, Carmichael and LaFleur tied for fifth at 15-1.

Despite his high profile, McDaniels’ name hasn’t been in circulation to the extent of Kansas City offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, Dallas passing game coordinator/secondary coach Kris Richard and Los Angeles Rams quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor, among others.

How could that be?

Because McDaniels outraged some football people last January by reneging on an agreement to coach the Indianapolis Colts even after the team had rolled out the red carpet while signing three assistant coaches of his choosing to contracts.

“I wouldn’t touch him with a 10-foot pole,” one executive in personnel said. “He takes a job, he hires people. Then he doesn’t have the common decency to call the people that he’s hired and tell them he’s backing out. I wouldn’t have that guy cleaning my toilets.”

“(Bleep) him,” another NFL personnel man said. “I’m offended for everyone that should be a head coach that, one year later, this guy is getting job interviews after what he did.

“If you’re an organization, if you’re a player, if you’re a coach, if you’re the family of a coach … how are you supposed to trust this guy? He basically left the Colts standing at the altar. To me, you just don’t do that.”

After New England lost the Super Bowl to Philadelphia on a Sunday in February, SI.com reported that Colts general manager Chris Ballard and McDaniels talked for more than 90 minutes Monday night regarding his staff. The Colts announced the hiring, and a press conference was set for Wednesday.

On Tuesday, Patriots owner Robert Kraft convinced McDaniels to stay even though there was no written assurance that he would succeed coach Bill Belichick, who is 66.

Almost immediately, agent Bob LaMonte terminated his relationship with McDaniels. A source informed ESPN that LaMonte told McDaniels he was “committing professional suicide.”

Another general manager offered this assessment of McDaniels: “I know him. He’s selfish. It’s all about him.”

It’s uncertain what the Packers’ intentions are regarding McDaniels and just how serious they might be. Executives from two teams with established coaches, however, said they wouldn’t rule out McDaniels because of the Indianapolis situation.

“It wouldn’t scare me,” one personnel director said. “The Denver thing would kind of scare me. And you still hear he wants all the power. That’s concerning.”

McDaniels left New England in 2009 to replace Mike Shanahan in Denver. His chaotic regime ended with his firing 10 games into a second season.

“I’d be cautious but I’d touch him,” another veteran executive said. “I’d make sure my ducks are in a row.

“I put a lot of regard in guys who have failed and then they come back. Just because I think you learn a lot that first time as opposed to that first-time guy coming in. Guys that have never been in that seat, they have no idea what they’re about to go through.”

On Thursday morning, an executive in personnel agreed to discuss and then rank in order of attractiveness the 10 coaches reported as candidates for the Packers. The source included Fitzgerald, who at the time of the interview still hadn’t announced his decision to stay at Northwestern.

Probably the best potential candidate would be John Harbaugh, the Super Bowl-winning coach of the Baltimore Ravens. On Sunday, the fourth-seeded Ravens play the Chargers in an AFC wild-card game.

Although the Ravens on Dec. 22 announced that Harbaugh “will continue as our head coach for the 2019 season,” that didn’t end speculation about his future. Harbaugh could complete the final year of his contract next season, the Ravens could extend his contract or the team might trade him to a team seeking a coach.

“Of this group (the Packers’), if John Harbaugh comes free, he’s the No. 1 candidate,” the executive said. “I mean, you can’t argue with the guy’s track record. The Ravens are good almost every year.

“With Jim (Harbaugh), it’s a little bit more about him. Whereas John, he hasn’t tried to be high profile. He just goes and wins football games.”

In order, here’s how one personnel man viewed the reported candidates to succeed McCarthy in Green Bay:

1. MIKE MUNCHAK

Age/birthplace: 58. Scranton, Pa.

Current position: Offensive line, Pittsburgh Steelers (since 2014).

Head coaching experience: Tennessee Titans, 2011-’13 (22-26).

Years NFL assistant coach: 12.

NFL executive in personnel: “If I’m picking for Green Bay I’d hire Mike Munchak. He’s tough but not an unnecessary hard ass. I mean, he’s a man’s man. He’d have a great personality fit, philosophy fit for that organization. He’s (expletive) awesome. He should be a head coach.” … “The difference he made in the Steelers’ offensive line was tremendous. Guys I’m close with in that building say he not only developed guys as players but as men. I don’t think people in Pittsburgh get near enough credit league-wide. Those guys win every year, and he’s done a great job with what he’s been asked to do there.” … “He’s been a head coach but not for a long time. The Titans had bad talent then. He probably didn’t get a fair enough shake.”

2. JIM CALDWELL

Age/birthplace: 63. Beloit, Wis.

Current position: Unemployed.

Head coaching experience: Wake Forest, 1993-’00 (26-63); Indianapolis Colts, 2009-’11 (28-24); Detroit Lions, 2014-’17 (36-30).

Years NFL assistant coach: Nine.

NFL executive in personnel: “He’s been a successful NFL head coach. He’s a different type of mentor but still a man’s man. He’s proven he can do it and I know what kind of a man he is. Jim is a class act. Great character guy. Players will run through a wall for him. Not because he’s the kind of guy that is riding their ass all the time. He knows how to treat guys like men while at the same time still being almost like a dad-type mentor. Particularly with the amount of black guys that are in the league, to have a role model like that is (big).” … “The Lions made a colossal (mistake). They had no grounds to fire him. He had been the most successful coach they had (in 25 years). That’s the Patriots’ way of life. They’re like xenophobes to the nth degree. Like, ‘We’ve got to get one of our guys in here.’ Whatever. The Lions and (general manager) Bob Quinn have gone backwards. I think Jim would have done more if he had been given a longer opportunity.”

3. DAN CAMPBELL

Age/birthplace: 42. Clifton, Texas.

Current position: Assistant head coach/tight ends, New Orleans Saints (since 2016).

Head coaching experience: Miami Dolphins (interim), 2015 (5-7).

Years NFL assistant coach: Nine.

NFL executive in personnel: “He’s the wild card. He’s young. He doesn’t have head-coaching experience but he was an interim head coach. He’s presided in that role. I think very highly of his intangibles. He’s probably still young enough that he can relate to the players as a player while still being able to be a leader. So if you’re willing to take a shot on a guy that hasn’t been an actual head coach other than the interim role … the Saints are an organization that’s had a lot of success. I’m sure he’s been a key component in that coaching staff.” … “I think he has the potential to be a really good NFL head coach. It’s just the opportunity. He was a player for such a long time, and the type of player he was, I think he’ll be able to relate to Aaron Rodgers, which is key. He’s three on the list, but that’s a strong three.” … “He was a tough guy as a player (tight end, 1999-’09). He was a great team guy. From people that I know that have been around him, that has transferred over into his coaching career. I can see him being a good coach just in terms of the passion, the dedication, the professionalism. Without knowing his coaching knowledge of X’s and O’s, he had it as a player. But, really, when you’re a head coach, you should hire guys that have good X’s and O’s. When you’re a head coach, you’re coaching the coaches and you’re a decision-maker. As far as all the intangible elements, he really checks a lot of boxes.”

4. CHUCK PAGANO

Age/birthplace: 58. Boulder, Colo.

Current position: Consultant, NFL office.

Head coaching experience: Indianapolis Colts, 2012-’17 (56-46).

Years NFL assistant coach: 10.

NFL executive in personnel: “As a scout, we like what you can show to us. I have seen him do it. The back end of his Colts’ career wasn’t as successful as the beginning half.” … “You’re not going to find a better person. He’s an outstanding human being. He’s a guy that cares about his players. He cares about the people that are working underneath him. He cares about the other people in the building. He’s a guy that you want to work hard for. He’s not a guy that’s trying to be a (expletive) celebrity. He’s not trying to make commercials. He doesn’t think he’s bigger than anybody else in the building.” … “He’s not necessarily the fiery guy he was as a player (safety at Wyoming) but embodies toughness and togetherness and standing for the right thing.” … “He overcame cancer (acute promyelocytic leukemia, missed 12 games, 2012) and came back and succeeded. That says a lot about the guy in terms of resilience and mental toughness. That’s got to rub off on your team.” … “By the end there was a new front office. He coached for a year under a new front office (GM Chris Ballard). He left under great circumstances. It wasn’t a bad parting.”

5. PAT FITZGERALD

Age/birthplace: 44. Orland Park, Ill.

Current position: Head coach, Northwestern.

Head coaching experience: Northwestern, 2006-’18 (96-70).

Years NFL assistant coach: None.

NFL executive in personnel: “I’m a little bit spooked by the college-head-coach-to-pro-head-coach thing but I think he’s a really good fit as far as the (Green Bay) culture and the community and the organization as a whole.” … “I remember him as a player (at Northwestern). He was a fun player to watch as far as being smart, tough, balls-out guy.” … “I always have a little bit of concern about guys coming from college to the NFL right as a head coach just because it’s such a different thing. They’re not men in college. You’re dealing with grown men in the pros. That’s not a slight on him. It’s apples and oranges. You’re still coaching football, yeah, but you’re dealing with two different animals. As far as the job he’s done at Northwestern in terms of what you have to work with vs. some of the people you’re competing against, and that guy’s got them in the Big Ten championship (game) and they’ve been to all those bowls, he’s definitely a good coach. There’s no doubt about that.” … “My concern about guys who were really good college coaches, can they adapt to the environment? (Expletive), Nick Saban was a failure (with the Dolphins).”

6. JOE PHILBIN

Age/birthplace: 57. Springfield, Mass.

Current position: Interim head coach, Green Bay Packers (since December).

Head coaching experience: Miami Dolphins, 2012-’15 (24-28); Green Bay (interim), 2018 (2-2).

Years NFL assistant coach: 12.

NFL executive in personnel: “He has experience. Joe’s a really good football coach but I didn’t necessarily see a head coach. To me, he doesn’t really have the demeanor for it. It’s unfortunate, but there’s a lot of (bleep) you have to do other than coach football. I don’t always see that in him. He’s very serious. He’s very professional. He’s a good guy. He’s got a bit of a hard edge to him, I think. He’s kind of a no (bleep) guy.”

7. MATT LaFLEUR

Age/birthplace: 39. Mt. Pleasant, Mich.

Current position: Offensive coordinator, Tennessee Titans (since 2018).

Head coaching experience: None.

Years NFL assistant coach: 10.

NFL executive in personnel: “I think the Rams have done a really good job and he obviously was a key component of it. I think pretty highly of Sean McVay, and this guy has had a chance to work for him. Bright guy, you hear. They’re 25th in total offense. I’m just not sure what he’s got to sell. They’ve been a little bit disappointing. Basically, you’re just going off the LA thing (he was Rams’ offensive coordinator in 2017). He’s in that tree. Other than that, it’s one year calling plays and they’re 25th.”

8. JOSH McDANIELS

Age/birthplace: 42. Canton, Ohio.

Current position: Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks, New England Patriots (since 2012).

Head coaching experience: Denver Broncos, 2009-’10 (11-17).

Years NFL assistant coach: 16.

NFL executive in personnel: “I’m sorry. These Patriot guys have to prove it to me that they can do it without (Bill) Belichick and, specifically, No. 12 (Tom Brady). Because that’s the guy. I can look good coaching him. He’s the greatest quarterback to ever play our sport. There are no debates about it. He’s the best ever. He makes a lot of people look good.” … “It pains me to not to put this guy dead last. He’s proven he can do some things, maybe. But I don’t know how much he’s coaching Tom Brady vs. Tom Brady coaching him.”

9. PETE CARMICHAEL

Age/birthplace: 47. Framingham, Mass.

Current position: Offensive coordinator, New Orleans Saints (since 2009).

Years NFL assistant coach: 19.

NFL executive in personnel: “He’s pretty highly regarded. Sometimes I wonder about his legitimacy. As far as league circles, you hear about him being a pretty bright, good offensive mind. He’s got a pretty good guy (Sean Payton) to make him look good. He has just a little more seasoning than (Brian) Flores.”

10. BRIAN FLORES

Age/birthplace: 37. Brooklyn, N.Y.

Current position: Linebackers (calls defense), New England Patriots (since 2016).

Years NFL assistant coach: 11.

NFL executive in personnel: “To me, these Patriot people have to prove it. Nobody ever does (bleep) out of that building in coaching or scouting. Most of them fail. That’s nothing against him personally.”

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 05:30:06 AM »
Carmicheal, Lombardi, Fitzpatrick  Any of these three!!!!

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 05:41:09 AM »
Carmicheal, Lombardi, Fitzpatrick  Any of these three!!!!

Fitzpatrick isn't leaving NW....

Lombardi would be stupid to take the job....his failure rate is expanded simply because of his name..