May 25, 2019, 12:26:14 PM

Author Topic: Antonio Brown  (Read 2466 times)

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
Re: Antonio Brown
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 07:08:19 AM »
On the way into work this morning I was listening to Golec and Wingo.  They played there what if Brown is going to NO or GB.  That's pie in the sky.  Also talked about Indy which I thought was quite interesting.  TY hilton and AB were teammates before in pre-high school competition. 

At this point, the value is bottoming out to about a 6th or 7th rd pick, especially since he balked at the Buffalo deal.  I don't think Chuckie wants him either.  Maybe the Bears will become bottom feeders. They got a guy over their that would slap AB silly (Mack). Problem is not this year's contract, problem will be next year when he demands 30 mil/year! 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 09:21:52 AM »
The current lack of accountability and professionalism with those reporting news is disappointing.

Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
Follow
Follow @RapSheet

More
Sources: The #Steelers are closing in on a deal to send star WR Antonio Brown to the Buffalo #Bills. There it is.

Dianna Russini

Verified account

@diannaESPN
Follow
Follow @diannaESPN

More
It was tough to find teams that were in on Antonio Brown, one of those teams though...the Packers. Green Bay was interested and looking to make moves per sources.

Rob Demovsky

Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow
Follow @RobDemovsky

More
While the Antonio Brown situation rolls on, the Packers won't jump in now and were not involved before. They never had any conversations with the Steelers about the receiver, according to league sources with knowledge of the Packers' actions.

Lots of bad reporting, but I think Rapaport is getting a raw deal.  He said the Bills were "closing in" on a deal for Brown.  He never said it was done. It snowballed from there, as it turned out what he said was true.  But I agree with RT, plenty of blame to go around for the bad reporting during the feeding frenzy.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 09:24:01 AM »
Those with the best local (to GB) contacts never thought this was happening. I remember Nagler laughing at the idea it could happen. This is a player teams with a bad front office chase.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:50:46 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline packlaw

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 09:51:01 AM »
Listened to Shine (sic) on Sirius, his opinion, GB should go after AB, even with the drama...he indicated, presently, GB is the third best team in the North and AB would elevate the team's status to contender...not sure if Adams and AB would be compatible; but our offense on paper would be awesome along with Jones at RB

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 10:02:20 AM »
I practically have no interest in trading for AB just based on the players/draft capital it would take alone.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 11:41:45 AM »
I'd much rather save the draft capital for future long term players that "fit" in GB rather than a 31 yr old prima dona drama queen.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 01:44:53 PM »
Here is an article from CheeseheadTV. Apparently, at least according to this article, Gutekunst is more than willing to pay big for a big name. The Mack deal didn't work (because the Bears were expected to yield a higher draft pick? Speculation!) but they may still be in the market for AB.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/report-packers-were-one-of-few-teams-interested-in-trading-for-wr-antonio-brown-400

To summarize, Gutekunst really wanted Mack, but Chicago snatched him away instead. Now, Gute seems to have his sights set on AB, and since the competition is shrinking, this could increase the chances of AB being in GB, especially if the Steelers become more pliable/desperate.

So, why did the Bills back out? SI has some possible answers, and why a trade for Brown would be problematic for any team:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/08/antonio-brown-steelers-bills-failed-trade-fallout

To summarize the article, there is an issue with draft picks; AB wants to be the highest paid WR in the league, and the guy is a loose cannon/head case. Apparently, when the Bills added up all the costs, the price was simply too high. The question being, will the Packers be willing to pay the cost? Rodgers is 36, and at this point, the team needs to take advantage of the quickly vanishing window for a SB. Time to take a risk, rather than playing it safe and hoping that their present WR's (besides Adams) take a dramatic leap in production. Dangerous? Sure. But go bold or stay home- again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021494/article/buffalo-bills-no-longer-in-antonio-brown-trade-talks

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 02:25:16 PM »
Here is an article from CheeseheadTV. Apparently, at least according to this article, Gutekunst is more than willing to pay big for a big name. The Mack deal didn't work (because the Bears were expected to yield a higher draft pick? Speculation!) but they may still be in the market for AB.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/report-packers-were-one-of-few-teams-interested-in-trading-for-wr-antonio-brown-400

To summarize, Gutekunst really wanted Mack, but Chicago snatched him away instead. Now, Gute seems to have his sights set on AB, and since the competition is shrinking, this could increase the chances of AB being in GB, especially if the Steelers become more pliable/desperate.

So, why did the Bills back out? SI has some possible answers, and why a trade for Brown would be problematic for any team:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/08/antonio-brown-steelers-bills-failed-trade-fallout

To summarize the article, there is an issue with draft picks; AB wants to be the highest paid WR in the league, and the guy is a loose cannon/head case. Apparently, when the Bills added up all the costs, the price was simply too high. The question being, will the Packers be willing to pay the cost? Rodgers is 36, and at this point, the team needs to take advantage of the quickly vanishing window for a SB. Time to take a risk, rather than playing it safe and hoping that their present WR's (besides Adams) take a dramatic leap in production. Dangerous? Sure. But go bold or stay home- again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021494/article/buffalo-bills-no-longer-in-antonio-brown-trade-talks

Agree Ricky,  If Rodgers is 30 years old, Id say No.  Im not sure you can rely on the draft at this point.  You gotta get players through FA, and disappointments like Graham and Wilkerson arent going to get it done.  As for Brown, I'd wait for a price drop and see what he can do contract wise.  The Packer need a way out if it goes South with Brown.  There is also pressure on Brown too,  another trade rejection, and he might find himself in Dez Bryant territory.  Id definitely explore this but it has to work for the Packers in order to do it. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:33:02 PM by The GM »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 02:30:51 PM »

A whole bunch of people with no idea what they are talking about. The same people continuously talking about the next 'must have' player. Last year it was the endless babble about Bryant, this year it starts with Brown and when he is traded somewhere it will be on to the next 'must have' player. The great thing for them is there will always be that next 'must have' player. Oh and of course it is always for the sake of not wasting Rodgers final years. The Packers football people are too smart to bring that toxic individual into the locker room.

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 03:07:50 PM »
If Brown had trouble with Roth calling him out on routes...what makes you think he will be OK with Rodgers calling him out...

Heard Brown didn't/wouldn't go to Buffalo...which doesn't surprise me...

If you want to spend that much money on a diva who wants to be highest pain WR and guaranteed $$$$$$$ who is over 30...….

Is he that much better than Adams who we KNOW is grounded..

Want to spend those big bucks I'd go for his former teammate L Bell who is  27 and just wants pd. I think Bell fits more to what our new HC wants in his Offense

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2019, 03:47:19 PM »
A whole bunch of people with no idea what they are talking about. The same people continuously talking about the next 'must have' player. Last year it was the endless babble about Bryant, this year it starts with Brown and when he is traded somewhere it will be on to the next 'must have' player. The great thing for them is there will always be that next 'must have' player. Oh and of course it is always for the sake of not wasting Rodgers final years. The Packers football people are too smart to bring that toxic individual into the locker room.

So, who would you target in FA? Just curious, and you've probably answered elsewhere, but somewhere along the line, we have to face some facts. Rodgers is on the downside of his career. He's been less productive even in the years he hasn't been injured. And, yes, as noted in the SI article, there are strong red flags with Brown. But, if the Packers could design a contract that would be frontloaded, effectively a two/three year deal that would lessen the impact of releasing him if he became a cancer, would that alleviate your worries? Yes, he can be a pain. Yes, he's a diva. But he's also an ultra talented player who could form a deadly combination with Adams on the other side. And if the Packers had an effective slot receiver, and a decent TE, the offense could be really special. Of course there are risks. But the possible rewards are at least one SB appearance, if not more. Or, we could play it safe, declare AB too toxic, and hope the second year players and/or Allison make a big jump in production. Or, the Packers could sign someone else. Earl Thomas? But again, there is risk, and he could be a head case (he did give his own team "the finger" as he was carted off the field). And he'll be expensive, and he's been hurt two out of three years. So, find someone who can be as good as him, but younger and cheaper. Or hope someone ont he Packers takes a big leap forward. Its time to go big or go home. Playing it safe is no longer an option, IMO. That has led to stagnation and complacency. Time to shake things up, swing for the fences (to mix sports metaphors), and make a bold move. If you disagree, I understand. It is risky. It could cause huge problems. Or it could ignite a stagnant franchise and kick them back into real contention for a SB.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2019, 12:51:10 PM »
Antonio Brown’s end game.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30288/money-game-antonio-brown-working-system-for-new-deal

It’s all about the Benjamin’s and “keeping up with the OBJ’s” of the receiver world.

He’s gaming the system.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 01:20:58 PM »
Antonio Brown’s end game.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30288/money-game-antonio-brown-working-system-for-new-deal

It’s all about the Benjamin’s and “keeping up with the OBJ’s” of the receiver world.

He’s gaming the system.

He's certainly is trying to.  My GUESS is he's having trouble in Oakland (If that's who he is talking to?) getting the contract guarantees he wants.   This all could backfire pretty quickly if Oakland pulls out.  I would have thought they would have had something done last night.  We'll see.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2019, 04:48:41 PM »
I just read (unconfirmed) the Eagles may be entering the Antonio Brown fiasco.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2019, 06:31:54 PM »

Guys signed by the Packers that re-ignited the franchise: Brett Favre (won a SB); Reggie White (won a SB); Charles Woodson (won a SB); Julius Peppers (should have gotten to the SB, but team choked in Seattle). Did I miss anyone? And, yes, there have been failures. But yes, one guy can make a huge difference. Would the defense have been significantly better with Mack? Would the offense be significantly better with Brown? And, agreed, this move could backfire spectacularly. But I still believe its time to take a chance. Woodson in particular was seen as washed up. He very reluctantly signed with the Packers, had attitude problems early on, then came to embrace the team and the city. This is no where near an exact comparison of situations, but there are some similarities. Winning cures all; as does money.Give Brown the latter, and the team could reap the former.