May 26, 2019, 05:56:45 AM

Author Topic: Antonio Brown  (Read 2472 times)

Online RT

• HOF Member
Re: Antonio Brown
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2019, 07:59:39 PM »
A whole bunch of people with no idea what they are talking about. The same people continuously talking about the next 'must have' player. Last year it was the endless babble about Bryant, this year it starts with Brown and when he is traded somewhere it will be on to the next 'must have' player. The great thing for them is there will always be that next 'must have' player. Oh and of course it is always for the sake of not wasting Rodgers final years. The Packers football people are too smart to bring that toxic individual into the locker room.

Guys signed by the Packers that re-ignited the franchise: Brett Favre (won a SB); Reggie White (won a SB); Charles Woodson (won a SB); Julius Peppers (should have gotten to the SB, but team choked in Seattle). Did I miss anyone? And, yes, there have been failures. But yes, one guy can make a huge difference. Would the defense have been significantly better with Mack? Would the offense be significantly better with Brown? And, agreed, this move could backfire spectacularly. But I still believe its time to take a chance. Woodson in particular was seen as washed up. He very reluctantly signed with the Packers, had attitude problems early on, then came to embrace the team and the city. This is no where near an exact comparison of situations, but there are some similarities. Winning cures all; as does money.Give Brown the latter, and the team could reap the former.

I see you have a want to debate this and I really see little need to because it just isn't going to happen. And shouldn't. Brown is a narcissistic sociopath who suffers from a personality disorder. He will embrace nothing, he has found his situation to manipulate and has no regard for the trail of destruction he is going to leave behind. The word tonight on why a deal has not happened yet is because he wants a new contract with his new team at 20M a year guaranteed. The Steelers gave him a new 81M deal with a 40M bonus 2 years ago, now he throws a temper tantrum and wants another new deal because OBJ's new contract one up'd his. Regardless of his talent, no team will ever win with that personality in their locker room.

You believe that the Packers need to take a risk and sign a big name, one that you are hoping will push them over the top. Even though I don't believe you are on the right path in searching for the answer to the Packers success, I would at the least suggest picking a player that is not a complete sociopath.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2019, 09:56:36 PM »
Per Rapoport and many other sources:

Antonio Brown to Oakland for a 3rd and a 5th this year.  Brown will become the highest paid WR in the game.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 09:58:13 PM by The GM »

Offline bmaafi

• Second String
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2019, 10:17:51 PM »
3 years 50 mil. 30 guaranteed.

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2019, 07:54:21 AM »
Not a bad deal for Oakland, I would've considered making that trade, but we definitely have higher priorities I'd rather spend that amount of money on.

Can't see Brown being happy in Oakland, don't think he will come close to his usual production with Carr at QB. Unless of course they draft a QB...

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2019, 08:24:01 AM »
Not a bad deal for Oakland, I would've considered making that trade, but we definitely have higher priorities I'd rather spend that amount of money on.

Can't see Brown being happy in Oakland, don't think he will come close to his usual production with Carr at QB. Unless of course they draft a QB...

If the Packers made that deal with Brown, expect Adams and his agent to be on the doorstep tomorrow wanting a new deal or be traded. The first domino to fall. 50M with 30M guaranteed is dangerous territory to go with someone as unstable as Brown.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 08:27:31 AM by RT »

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2019, 09:18:29 AM »
The Steelers gave him a new 81M deal with a 40M bonus 2 years ago, now he throws a temper tantrum and wants another new deal because OBJ's new contract one up'd his. Regardless of his talent, no team will ever win with that personality in their locker room.

You believe that the Packers need to take a risk and sign a big name, one that you are hoping will push them over the top. Even though I don't believe you are on the right path in searching for the answer to the Packers success, I would at the least suggest picking a player that is not a complete sociopath.

Am I the only one that was disturbed that during negotiations with Rodgers on his new contract last year was one option he wanted was to re-visit his contract if it wasn't highest in NFL and have it re-done....

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2019, 09:25:41 AM »

If the Packers made that deal with Brown, expect Adams and his agent to be on the doorstep tomorrow wanting a new deal or be traded. The first domino to fall. 50M with 30M guaranteed is dangerous territory to go with someone as unstable as Brown.

The Raiders got Brown without giving up any of their first round picks. They had plenty of cap space, and especially if the deal is heavily front loaded (which seems likely), the Raiders have effectively made a "team friendly" contract. Now, if the Packers had offered the same and gotten Brown, would Adams be demanding more? Here is Adams contract. Notice the cap hit is going to be considerably higher after this season, so the Packers are likely to want to renegotiate in any case. So, yes, Adams and his agent will be knocking on the Packers door. Or vice versa.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/davante-adams-14463/

Now, the question is, does Oakland know what it is doing? They get rid of their best defensive player, their top WR, give off vibes they want to dump their QB, and now they sign Brown? If Gruden has a plan, this draft better be spectacular, because if they whiff, they could be in the pits for years.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2019, 10:14:21 AM »
The Steelers gave him a new 81M deal with a 40M bonus 2 years ago, now he throws a temper tantrum and wants another new deal because OBJ's new contract one up'd his. Regardless of his talent, no team will ever win with that personality in their locker room.

Am I the only one that was disturbed that during negotiations with Rodgers on his new contract last year was one option he wanted was to re-visit his contract if it wasn't highest in NFL and have it re-done....

Not disturbed at all. It was done up front, all part of negotiating in good faith. Not like Brown getting a 40M bonus and 2 years later wanting more. That deal was a crushing blow for the Steelers.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2019, 10:18:01 AM »

The Raiders got Brown without giving up any of their first round picks. They had plenty of cap space, and especially if the deal is heavily front loaded (which seems likely), the Raiders have effectively made a "team friendly" contract. Now, if the Packers had offered the same and gotten Brown, would Adams be demanding more? Here is Adams contract. Notice the cap hit is going to be considerably higher after this season, so the Packers are likely to want to renegotiate in any case. So, yes, Adams and his agent will be knocking on the Packers door. Or vice versa.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/davante-adams-14463/

Now, the question is, does Oakland know what it is doing? They get rid of their best defensive player, their top WR, give off vibes they want to dump their QB, and now they sign Brown? If Gruden has a plan, this draft better be spectacular, because if they whiff, they could be in the pits for years.

Don't agree with you at all ricky, their is zero reason for either side to re-visit that deal. His deal is at market value or above and will be throughout the contract, in all likelihood that contract is played out as-is.