October 18, 2019, 04:17:05 AM

Author Topic: Thompson's big mistake  (Read 3931 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Thompson's big mistake
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2019, 06:50:57 PM »
The same thing happened this year with BG as the new GM.

Was it the GM who chose to sit people?

Or was it MM who chose to sit them?

Honest question.

Or it could simply be a team decision. After all, how many people howled with outrage after Jordy hurt his knee during an exhibition game? A chief complainer was also Rodgers. So, play your starters in meaningless games, and taet ke a chance on them getting hurt; or give them enough time to hopefully to get ready for the regular season. Just be aware that either way, you leave yourself open to criticism.

I think it's all part of the "complacency theory".

MM figured he knew his players, and especially his stars, and what they needed to do to work out the kinks in preseason.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2019, 11:05:52 AM »
I think it's hard to believe that MM was "unilaterally" making playing exhibition-season playing-time decisions against MM's will.  Against MM's will being key.  I think those guys talked all the time.  I don't doubt that maybe they talked and MM said, "Hey, that UDFA kid Sam Shields has been looking really good, I wonder if that will carry over into games and if we should keep him on the roster?"  And MM saying, "Yeah, same, we'll try to give some extended minutes in the remaining games to get a better look and better prepare him for the season, assuming he earns a roster spot."  I think they were discussing guys as professionals and colleagues all the time, and balancing the four desires of preparing the team; preparing and protecting the core players whose roster spots are not uncertain; getting looks at the prospects; and preparing the prospects for in-season usage. 

I just totally struggle to envision relatively gentle TT unilaterally forcing strong, stubborn MM how to apportion exhibition minutes contrary to what MM really wanted to do.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2019, 03:28:44 PM »
I think it's hard to believe that MM was "unilaterally" making playing exhibition-season playing-time decisions against MM's will.  Against MM's will being key.  I think those guys talked all the time.  I don't doubt that maybe they talked and MM said, "Hey, that UDFA kid Sam Shields has been looking really good, I wonder if that will carry over into games and if we should keep him on the roster?"  And MM saying, "Yeah, same, we'll try to give some extended minutes in the remaining games to get a better look and better prepare him for the season, assuming he earns a roster spot."  I think they were discussing guys as professionals and colleagues all the time, and balancing the four desires of preparing the team; preparing and protecting the core players whose roster spots are not uncertain; getting looks at the prospects; and preparing the prospects for in-season usage. 

I just totally struggle to envision relatively gentle TT unilaterally forcing strong, stubborn MM how to apportion exhibition minutes contrary to what MM really wanted to do.

I had a hard time imagining it all too.  That is why the info stood out so starkly to me.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi