June 16, 2019, 05:52:32 AM

Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Packers Zeroing In On LeFleur  (Read 5391 times)

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
BREAKING NEWS: Packers Zeroing In On LeFleur
« on: January 07, 2019, 03:09:14 PM »

Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
Following Following @AdamSchefter
More
Packers are zeroing in on hiring Titans' OC Matt LaFleur as their HC, sources tell @RobDemovsky and me . Packers have begun notifying other HC candidates that they've interviewed that they're out and the team has made its choice.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 03:10:15 PM by The GM »

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Packers zeroing on LeFluer
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 03:10:44 PM »
He must have blown them away in interviews. He was my #1 or #2 pick to coach us.

Offline croquet

• Starter
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Packers Zeroing In On LeFleur
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 03:21:44 PM »
He was my number one too but the Mcdaniels deal just seemed to be done.  Welcome coach LeFleur.  GO PACK GO.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 03:22:31 PM »
Next question, who is the OC, Philbin or someone new??

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 03:31:56 PM »
This from NBC26 in Green Bay:

Titans offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur

This season was LaFleur’s first as a play-caller in the NFL, as injuries ravaged the Titans offense. QB Marcus Mariota dealt with a nagging injury in his throwing arm, and the Titans finished No. 29 in passing but No. 7 in rushing with running back Derrick Henry.

“I think a lot of Titans fans were surprised this week when they heard that Matt LaFleur would be a candidate for the Packers’ head coaching job, simply because he’s only been a play caller in the National Football League for one season, and this fall, the Titans’ offense wasn’t particularly prolific,” said NewsChannel 5 Sports Anchor Steve Layman. “In fact, quarterback Marcus Mariota’s passing numbers went down by about 700 yards from the previous season. Now there are a lot of reasons for that. The Titans were plagued by injuries all season long, including injuries to Marcus Mariota that cost him the final game of the season, so we maybe didn’t see the full repertoire or the full offense from Matt LaFleur this year, but still, if you’re looking for a proven coordinator in this league, I’m not even sure you can call Matt LaFleur that just yet.”

But Layman said LaFleur’s offense “catching its stride” at the season’s end was a big part of Tennessee finishing 4-1 and just missing the playoffs.

Before his time in Tennessee, LaFleur was Sean McVay’s offensive coordinator in LA in 2017, when the Rams were No. 8 on the ground and No. 10 through the air. And even before that, LaFleur worked with Matt Ryan when the Falcons went on to the Super Bowl, Ryan’s MVP season.

“I think he’s an innovative offensive mind, and I think the goal would be that he can open things up for Aaron Rodgers and company. That was certainly the goal here, when Mike Vrabel and general manager Jon Robinson brought him in this last year to try to open up the Titans’ offense for Marcus Mariota… If Green Bay wants Matt LaFleur, that’s what you’re looking for: You’re looking for a guy who’s been tutored by some of the best offensive minds in football and coached some of the best quarterbacks in football. You hope he can bring that to his new job."

Who will be the next OC? Not Philbin. Too much of a possiblity of players "rallying around good old Joe" if they don't like what the HC has to say. Will he retain Pettine? Will he hire Brent Boyer to be ST's coach? Will he be able to persuade Rodgers to buy into the new system? Lots of questions, and the answers will be trickling out in the next few months.

Who made the final call on this? Gutekunst, Murphy, or a collaborative hire?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 03:41:13 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline BartyorBarrySmith

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 03:33:18 PM »

If I was guessing, I'd be guessing that they will now be looking for some experienced steady hands to help with a young and inexperienced head coach. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 03:35:23 PM »
Just read Pettine was on LeFleur's list of DCs when he interviewed.  Good chance of him staying.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 03:39:43 PM »
Hired
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 03:41:43 PM »
I am surprised.  All signs seemed to point to McDaniels, but maybe his past caught up with him.  There are positives and concerns on each side with LaFleur.  His offense this year was less than stellar and seemed to regress.  Yes Derrick Henry caught fire late in the season, but the pass game left a lot to be desired. Injuries and lack of talent may have been the reason.  If the McVay and Shannahan philosophy comes with him, maybe he can bring the offense back to life. 

It is kind of a wait and see for me.  Sounds as if Pettine is going to be retained and that may be a part of the reason for LaFleur getting the job. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 03:51:19 PM »
Interesting that LeFleur worked as a QB coach at Notre Dame in 2014.   He worked with Kizer there. 

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 03:57:47 PM »
NFL Network and others report Matt LaFleur new Packers Head Coach
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 04:12:47 PM »

Gary Kubiak would be the favorite but Denver isn't letting teams interview him.

Anyone's guess is as good as all the others at this point. Stating the obvious would just be cliche, but "someone who knows how to run his offense."

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 04:22:31 PM »

If it is Philbin then he will be learning a new language also as GB moves to Erhardt-Perkins and away from the memory system used by Walsh when he created the West Coast Offense.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 04:39:55 PM »
I don't see Philbin hanging on as the OC.  Just doesn't make a lot of sense to have him learn an entirely new system and then turn the installs over to him to teach.  LaFleur will call plays, so the OC won't be as critical as if he were coming from the defensive side.  LaFleur is young and probably isn't connected like some of the other candidates, so getting a staff in place could be a challenge.   Pettine should stay on and it sounds like that is part of the deal, so that will offer some continuity.  Hopefully LaFleur has watched the special teams and quickly tells Zook he is not coming back. 

I would think his first call will be to Zac Taylor.  Becoming a coordinator would be a step up for him, so it could be tough for McVay to block him.   Of course, he could be getting his own head coaching job though. 

Offline yourout

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 04:53:26 PM »
Please tell me Zook is NOT being retained in any way shape or form.