June 16, 2019, 05:59:24 AM

Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Packers Zeroing In On LeFleur  (Read 5392 times)

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Packers Zeroing In On LeFleur
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 05:15:20 PM »
I found a very good article about Le Fleur when this process started but unfortunately I misplaced it.   I tried to find it tonight but there are pages about the hire and I don't have  time to search for the article.

What impressed me about Le Fleur was that his offenses were multiple- that he could adapt the offense to the stengths and weaknesses of the players.  This sounded a lot like Pettitine's approach.

Ran across another article tonight- it was a lot of X's & O's talk but the gist was that he placed a premium on route running to get a receiver open, not  just raw physical talent.

I think it is great they made up their mind so quickly- gives them a head start on getting assistants.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 05:17:35 PM »
Wow wow wow.  Didn't expect a decision so very quickly.  Very surprising. 

1.  I like that he's young and ambitious.  Should have lots of energy.
2.  I kinda like that he's still maybe interested in bringing Pettine back. 
3.  INteresting that he's been around a couple of really good offenses (Atlanta, Rams) and now is coming off a season with a really bad one (Titans). 
*Maybe a good lesson that schemes and concepts won't make a passing game if you don't have talent. 
4.  LaFleur has a thing in common with MM:  both were hired off of teams coming off really bad offenses. 
5.  Saw that he was a math teacher early in his career.  Somehow that appeals to me, that the guy liked teaching, that the guy liked math, and that the guy was intelligent enough to choose that rather than PE or some "sport major"!  :)  Hopefully that will reflect that he's logical, is good with saber stuff and data and numbers, and is a good communicator. 
6.  Guessing the Packers were glad Tennessee didn't get into playoffs, so they didn't have to wait on him.
Makes me think that with the early fire of MM, that they'd done a lot of work on this already, so could act fast. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 05:26:11 PM »
Verified account

@DilfersDimes
Follow
Follow @DilfersDimes

More
Matt LaFleur is Mike McCarthy before McCarthy stopped grinding. Both smart, creative offensivey, great pedigrees and strong leadership traits. Most importantly HE WILL COACH AARON HARD!

Interesting that he points out that MM had stopped grinding, something that I have felt and noted a couple of times here. MM just seemed to act like he no longer needed to spend the time to get the younger players coached up. IMO

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 05:29:23 PM »
Rumor has it that the first test that asst. coaches must pass is seeing if they can dodge a wrench.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 05:40:43 PM »

I would think his first call will be to Zac Taylor.  Becoming a coordinator would be a step up for him, so it could be tough for McVay to block him.   Of course, he could be getting his own head coaching job though.

Not sure how likely that is,  but a great move if they can pull it off.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 05:43:33 PM »
His Notre Dame year was the year before St. Brown came, I think?  And with LaFleur being just a one-year come-and-go guy, I can't imagine he would have been very involved in recruiting a wide receiver or anything.... 

Might still have friends with some of the coaches who perhaps bad-mouthed ESB?   

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 06:57:13 PM »
After doing a little more reading, sounds like he's reputed to be kinda smart.  Kind of a sleepy interview, not strikingly impressive as a talker or communicator anything.  (Communicating with a player may be different than with a sport-media guy, obviously.  But doesn't seem that he has a commanding way of speaking or of articulating ideas, or that he'd necessarily be way better about persuading guys to buy into a great idea than MM would have been....) 

Sounds like he's a real run-commitment guy, Titans fans said he ran a lot, even when they were way behind or in games when their running game didn't have much change to work very well. 

So, kind of comes across to me as a relatively conservative guy who's probably going to run it up the middle and set up a lot of 2nd-and-long plays just as MM tended to do. 

Sounds like he's more a Shanahan influence and less so McVay school. 

Hope he works out.  But initial response is that he's not some innovative aggressive guy, probably more in the conservative MM style.  For better or for worse.

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 07:04:41 PM »

So, kind of comes across to me as a relatively conservative guy who's probably going to run it up the middle and set up a lot of 2nd-and-long plays just as MM tended to do. 

How in the world do you know that?
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 07:31:38 PM »
I don't!  Just what the Titans fans said he tended to do in Tennessee.  They had previously been a run-heavy offense (relative to league normal) under Mularkey.  Guy posted some stats showing that LaFleur ran it even more on first down than Mularkey.  Can't remember, maybe tops in the league?   I also listened to an interview he had after getting hired at Tennessee, seemed like a nice and intelligent guy.  But I felt like the only question that he got very excited about was about how important it was to commit to the run.  Obviously his team in Tennessee with Marriota is different from our players with Rodgers and stuff.  So who knows.  But by his own statements entering last year, he's very committed to the run. 

My personal feeling is that the Packers o-line hasn't been real powerful in run-predictable situations, like short-yardage and often first downs.  And Bakhti and Bulaga, while very gifted as pass-blockers, aren't super gifted or powerful as run blockers.  So I've sometimes felt like a lot of first-down-runs tend to be predictable, tend to go for minimal yardage, and tend to set up 2nd-and-long.  But maybe our first-down running game will be very good this year and beyond, and will set up a lot of nice 2nd-and-shorts! 

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 08:00:38 PM »
Bingo!  The Packers News found the article I was trying to find which described his approach to offense.
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2018/08/09/titans-matt-lafleur-qanda-nfl-marcus-mariota-rexrode-packers-preseason/927182002/

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 09:14:29 PM »
Really nice article, manci.  Thanks. 

Seems like a guy who will be easy to like, at the personal level.  Whether he commands a room, or is the best play-caller or whatever, beats me. 

But there seems to be a good consensus that he's smart, and people respect him.  Good qualities. 

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2019, 09:33:19 PM »
McDaniels was one of the names, of course.  Some of his history involves some weird decision-making, and some personality flaws.  I think LaFleur sounds like a really solid, and intelligent, guy.  Reference to "no ego" in that article.  Think that kind of a guy will be nice for players, assistant coaches, Gute, and Murphy to work with. 

Will be interesting how that goes with Rodgers, for whom "no ego" would never be said!  Who knows.  Maybe Rodgers will figure he can overpower and run things and do what he wants.  Or, maybe a guy who doesn't seem like an ego-maniac or power-hungry guy, maybe that will feel non-threatening to Rodgers, and it will be easier to have discussions and to listen?  Who knows. 

While the article alluded to the "no ego" bit, it also seems that several of the ex-players have made reference to "coaching hard".  So perhaps there's a combo of being a hard, competitive, intense, no-nonsense coach, but without a big or confrontational ego?  Who knows. 

One question I've had:  Often when a new coach or system comes in, there is some priority in the draft and procurement to get him some tools that he needs to build success.  Obviously for the last ten years the top of the draft has been all about defense, defense, defense, defense, defense, defense, and defense.  But I wonder if there might be any interest in spending ≥1 high draft pick on an offensive player? 

Not sure, but it seems obviously an OG would help.  Would his guy from Tennessee be a good fit? 
The article said that his pre-Titans experience involved a lot of 21 and 12 sets, and a lot of balls thrown to RB as well as TE.  Wonder if any 21 with BOTH Williams and Jones would work, and if more throws to them might be in the works?  Wonder if Tonyan might emerge as a 2nd TE for 12?  Or if they'd actually like to look for another TE to use, in place of Lewis and Kendricks?  Anyway, just thinking that if you hire a good, smart, creative offensive-minded coach, and if he watches a couple of months of film, that he might have some ideas of player types that he thinks could be useful to add, and you might want to get something for him? 

That said, his comments were really nice about building everything around the guys you've got.  It's the players, and the good coaches adapt their sets to what the players can do.  Hopefully a lot! 

Article talked about more "outside zone" runs.  Not sure how great that would be for Williams.  Or with OT's that run-block like Bakhti and Bulaga.  But it would be fun. 

Also reference to rollout.  Think that's something Rodgers has always liked and been excellent at.  But, recent o-line play it seems has really precluded that.  To roll out you need some space to left or right to roll.  But most calls the last couple of years, it seems like both tackles are curling back around Rodgers and trying to force the pass-rush to circle behind him, that in the process he's enveloped, and can dash through a seam but nor roll well.  Perhaps it's coaching, and B+B could block for more rollout if asked? 

Beats me, what do I know.  But think it will be fun to see perhaps BOTH some new faces on offense procured, AND some different looks.  Hopefully it will be fun and effective!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2019, 09:54:31 PM »
When the inimitable Mrs. ricky was informed the Packers had hired a new head coach, she asked who. Told "Matt LaFleur" she responded with, "That sounds like the name of an actor on 'Friends'." Couldn't disagree. In her defense, I did find this: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0480883/bio
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2019, 10:21:37 PM »
I don't!  Just what the Titans fans said he tended to do in Tennessee.  They had previously been a run-heavy offense (relative to league normal) under Mularkey.  Guy posted some stats showing that LaFleur ran it even more on first down than Mularkey.  Can't remember, maybe tops in the league?   I also listened to an interview he had after getting hired at Tennessee, seemed like a nice and intelligent guy.  But I felt like the only question that he got very excited about was about how important it was to commit to the run.  Obviously his team in Tennessee with Marriota is different from our players with Rodgers and stuff.  So who knows.  But by his own statements entering last year, he's very committed to the run. 

My personal feeling is that the Packers o-line hasn't been real powerful in run-predictable situations, like short-yardage and often first downs.  And Bakhti and Bulaga, while very gifted as pass-blockers, aren't super gifted or powerful as run blockers.  So I've sometimes felt like a lot of first-down-runs tend to be predictable, tend to go for minimal yardage, and tend to set up 2nd-and-long.  But maybe our first-down running game will be very good this year and beyond, and will set up a lot of nice 2nd-and-shorts!

I just hope he’s successful. 
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 02:33:49 AM »
I'm extremely pleased with the hire as he was my #1 choice. I must admit that I'm surprised he was hired though. Murphy comes across to me as a guy who wants to make a big splash and go for the shiny new toy - McDaniels. I must have read Murphy wrong or Lafleur just blew them away in the interview.
Now I'm hoping Zook is gone and Brant Boyer is brought in to run special teams.