March 24, 2019, 06:11:56 PM

Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Packers Zeroing In On LeFleur  (Read 4425 times)

Offline craig

• HOF Member
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Packers Zeroing In On LeFleur
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2019, 06:40:01 PM »
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/playPopup?id=25714795

Nice interview with a Tennessee media guy.  He had a lot of positive things to say.  Sounds like LaFleur has some really positive personal qualities.  (At least, if I was looking for a colleague or boss or son-in-law or friend or whatever.)  Wasn't sure he'd be a great or successful coach, who can say; and didn't see LaFleur as the big dominating alpha male personality you associate with coaches.  But honesty, smart, being able to work with people and with players, all sounded really likeable. 

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Second String
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2019, 06:52:28 PM »
Tonight there was news that they are officially keeping Pettine on as DC.  thumbsup) That is positive because it wouldn't be making a switch in a short amount of time of already making a switch. Plus Pettine has HC experience that could help Lafluer.

Lafluer is bringing in the zone blocking scheme which was slightly dabbled with in the past. We got Aaron Jones at RB that is perfect for the scheme. The thing is that he ran like it was zone blocking last year because the holes that were supposed to be open didn't come so he bounced to the opening to great success. Now if the blocking was designed to do that, he would have had a better year last year.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 06:59:48 PM by Fox_NFLs_GG »

Offline Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2019, 05:55:32 AM »
I think I'm more relieved we didn't hire McDaniels or Caldwell than anything. Cautiously optimistic about LaFleur

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2019, 09:35:46 AM »
Looks like he will be looking for a OC somewhere else and not in-house.  Might keep Philbin for offensive line or TE coach I'm hearing but might just dump him too.  More I hear about him more I like but it is hard to get past a coordinator that has successfully called plays for multiple superbowl appearances for a future HOF quarterback.

Online claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2019, 12:28:17 PM »
Lafluer is bringing in the zone blocking scheme which was slightly dabbled with in the past. We got Aaron Jones at RB that is perfect for the scheme. The thing is that he ran like it was zone blocking last year because the holes that were supposed to be open didn't come so he bounced to the opening to great success. Now if the blocking was designed to do that, he would have had a better year last year.

I'm not sure where you're deriving this theory from but under McCarthy Green Bay's main run scheme was 100% zone blocking. It is a staple of every West Coast or Spread offense in football. 

You might not fully understand the concept and purpose of zone blocking. It forces the defense to react one way while the RB reads the gaps and runs accordingly. The "bounce" or cut back is 100% by design. While that cut back lane might not be open every time you run an outside, creating it is the main objective of the concept. This run action creates the standard "play action" you see in the NFL today, with the offense running one way, QB tucks the ball and throws to the open area the defense vacated.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2019, 01:57:04 PM »
Good point on the BR stream. Packers hurry and hire Lafleur, before doing second interviews with other candidates, even though Lafleur didnt have any other interviews scheduled.

Why wait for him to blow another team away in an interview if he is your guy?
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2019, 06:27:13 PM »
Good point on the BR stream. Packers hurry and hire Lafleur, before doing second interviews with other candidates, even though Lafleur didnt have any other interviews scheduled.

In what other interview? The point was people weren't banging down his door, no need to be the first to raid the fruit stand. Was hoping they would at least give Fangio a call. They are making a huge bet right now that LaFleur is the next McVay. Let's hope they're right.

Also, the first call LaFleur got after his interview was from Rodgers. So, maybe it was Rodgers choice after all. I'm curious to see what he does for OC.

And in other news, no one seems interested in MM. If that holds true, I stand by my assumption (and many others have the same thought) that he got the GB job by being in the good ol boys club in the first place.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Ron836

• Second String
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2019, 07:48:24 PM »

In what other interview? The point was people weren't banging down his door, no need to be the first to raid the fruit stand. Was hoping they would at least give Fangio a call. They are making a huge bet right now that LaFleur is the next McVay. Let's hope they're right.

Also, the first call LaFleur got after his interview was from Rodgers. So, maybe it was Rodgers choice after all. I'm curious to see what he does for OC.

And in other news, no one seems interested in MM. If that holds true, I stand by my assumption (and many others have the same thought) that he got the GB job by being in the good ol boys club in the first place.

I have never seen other Packers fans say MM got the job by being in the good ol boys club? I do know a lot of fans wanted him gone before he won the Super bowl.

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2019, 08:31:01 PM »
The Jets , the only job Mc Carthy was interested in, hired Gase.   The means the Packers can keep any coach they choose without having to compete with Mc Carthy.

The defensive staff is pretty much settled but the offense is not.  Campen is highly regarded in the league and he could stay and provide some continunity. The running backs coach is also respected but the others should brush up on their interviewing skills.

I know there is speculation that Philbin could stay but I don't see it unless he becomes a position coach.  LeFluer and Philbin have the same agent so it is possible the agent was suggesting the Le Fleur ( I know I have to learn how to spell his name) consider Philbin.

Mc Carthy is getting paid this season so he could be picky about the job he was considering,  I could see him do a QB school this summer,  Do some scouting during the season.  It would get him out of the house and in touch with people in the league.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2019, 03:27:28 AM »
Its really something how teams were all looking for offense, except for Denver.

I think this is a reflection of what happened with the Rams, when they finally fired Fisher, a defensive coach.

Now, almost everyone seems to be following that paradigm and hoping to catch that wave.

The one that surprised me the most was the Browns.  That guy was a position coach at the start of the year.   Were they really that worried that they were going to lose him to another team?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:28:49 AM by Gregg »

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2019, 05:21:59 AM »
Hiring from within doesnt work very well in todays NFL as far as Head Coaches go.  I saw a stat and it was like of the last 10 hire from within head coaches, 1 lasted 4 years, the rest were gone in 1-3 years.  Players like them,  but it doesnt translate to the field.  Its easy to get into that country club attitude when you have a hire from within head coach in todays NFL. I'd bet on Kitchens being gone in 3 years or less.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 05:29:35 AM by The GM »

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2019, 07:33:18 AM »
The Jets , the only job Mc Carthy was interested in, hired Gase.   The means the Packers can keep any coach they choose without having to compete with Mc Carthy.

The defensive staff is pretty much settled but the offense is not.  Campen is highly regarded in the league and he could stay and provide some continunity. The running backs coach is also respected but the others should brush up on their interviewing skills.

I know there is speculation that Philbin could stay but I don't see it unless he becomes a position coach.  LeFluer and Philbin have the same agent so it is possible the agent was suggesting the Le Fleur ( I know I have to learn how to spell his name) consider Philbin.

Mc Carthy is getting paid this season so he could be picky about the job he was considering,  I could see him do a QB school this summer,  Do some scouting during the season.  It would get him out of the house and in touch with people in the league.

Saw somewhere that MM is going to sit out next season.
“What’s going on out there”

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2019, 08:51:55 AM »

I have never seen other Packers fans say MM got the job by being in the good ol boys club? I do know a lot of fans wanted him gone before he won the Super bowl.

Back when he was hired, it was a thought in most of the fans that I used to talk with, that he got the job because he had previously been on the staff. Reading an interview with a former packers exec( on Packer News I think, or whatever the site is that gives you 5 free article reads a month) , he stated that as the exact reason Mike won the job over Sean Peyton.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2019, 03:45:23 PM »

Mike Clemons' take was that GB saw that the NFL head coaching cupboard was rather bare, that LaFleur was definitely their guy, AND that they didn't even want anyone else to talk to him as they were worried that they would then lose out on him.  Furthermore, they wanted to give him a chance to start assembling his staff immediately rather than get everyone else's sloppy seconds.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2019, 09:43:11 AM »
Interesting story:

Adam Schefter actually broke the news to LaFleur that he was hired by the Packers.   He called LaFleur to ask him if he had heard anything about the Packers job, LaFleur said "what are you talking about?"  Schefter informed LaFleur that all the other candidates had been notified they weren't selected and Schefter congratulated LaFleur on being selected as the next Head Coach of the Green Bay Packers.