January 18, 2019, 05:57:48 AM

Author Topic: Assistant Coach Hirings/Firings  (Read 3494 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Assistant Coach Hirings/Firings
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 07:30:38 PM »
It seems the team is getting rid of any lingering MM partisans, so MLF can have a free hand on shaping the team to his image. The departure of Whitt was necessary, as the players could well have used him as someone to whine to when they didn't like the way things were going. There has to be one strong voice in the room, one final arbiter of how the team is going to be run. Yes, there can be input, and suggestions, and collaboration. But in the end, there has to be unity behind the leader. Though the MLF is sure going to be aware of the elephant in the room.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 07:22:46 AM »
Talking with Monken is certainly interesting.  This is a guy that is a rising offensive mind and will probably be in the next batch of hirings next season.  My worry with him a little is just that he would probably be a short time solution because of his popularity.  His interest would seem like a step back because he would not have any play calling duties, but maybe he sees this as a chance to be part of a quick turnaround, work with a hall of fame QB, and then be able to have his choice of open jobs as the hot coordinator after next season.

I gotta a feeling Monken ends up in Detroit with full reign of the offense there.  La Fleur is probably more likely to hire Hackett or if Shanahan will allow him to, hire his brother Mike or TJ McCartney away from the 49ers.  Shanahan has not allowed them to interview in other places, so that is un-likely. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 08:10:42 AM »
I'll take Monken for a year.  LaFleur can pick his brain, learn a few tricks, but the playcalling could be a make or break issue for him coming to Green Bay.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 11:52:19 AM »
Kind of interesting that Monken is only 2.5 years younger than McCarthy.  So while he's a "rising prospect" guy, age-wise he's at a very different place from MLF.  This is probably really a sweet-spot for him in his career.  If he doesn't get a head-coaching job pretty quick, not sure teams are going to be chasing hard for a first-time head coach if he goes another couple years and his mid- or late 50's in age. 

I'd have to figure that IF he gets a shot with Detroit and Matt Stafford with full play-calling, it would have to be a no-brainer to take that.  But I have no idea what kind of an interview or personality or leader Monken may be.  Maybe play-calling position with a high-level QB won't be available to him, and he'll need to settle for non-calling position? 

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 01:22:05 PM »
Did see the 49ers have blocked their coaches from going anywhere, so that rules out LaFleur's brother.  On a side note- kind of sucks you want to work for your brother and you can't. 

Anyway, Monken and Hackett appear to be the only ones I have heard on the list for OC.  I wonder about guys like DeFillipo or Bill Lazor - the old Bengals/Dolphins OC.  With no play calling duties, that would seem the importance is on install and teaching and I would think both of those guys should be good at that.  Maybe a combo with OC and QB coach.  DeFillipo has sure went from the hot coach to basically no mention for anything. 

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 01:57:24 PM »
Kubiak is apparently available, too.  Read that he and Denver are on good terms, and they'd probably be generous enough to release him if he wanted to leave for an OC spot elsewhere. 

I live in Vikings country.  Not sure DeFillipo getting canned really means he isn't smart.  Zimmer is a pretty conservative guy.  And the Vikings had an awful, awful, awful offensive line; poor Cousins didn't have any time to see anything or for anybody to get open.  I'm not that expert, but I kinda feel like they had about 3 of their linemen who pass-blocked below the level of our right guard spot.  And maybe about three guys who run-blocked about that terribly, too.  So not sure how much to blame DeFillipo, and whether he might not look like a great prospect again if working on a team with a competent o-line. 

Online Fox_NFLs_GG

• Second String
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 04:48:23 PM »
Hackett or Monken will not take a position which they don't call the plays.

The leading candidate right now for the packers OC is Jets WR coach Karl Dorrell.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 04:53:09 PM »
Dorell is interviewing for Packers WR coach
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 04:54:54 PM by dannobanano »

Online Fox_NFLs_GG

• Second String
    • Packer Wire
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 05:01:19 PM by Fox_NFLs_GG »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 05:03:45 PM »
Wait and see.

I’m hearing differently
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 05:04:25 PM by dannobanano »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 05:11:22 PM by dannobanano »

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2019, 06:28:35 PM »
Kubiak is apparently available, too.  Read that he and Denver are on good terms, and they'd probably be generous enough to release him if he wanted to leave for an OC spot elsewhere. 

I live in Vikings country.  Not sure DeFillipo getting canned really means he isn't smart.  Zimmer is a pretty conservative guy.  And the Vikings had an awful, awful, awful offensive line; poor Cousins didn't have any time to see anything or for anybody to get open.  I'm not that expert, but I kinda feel like they had about 3 of their linemen who pass-blocked below the level of our right guard spot.  And maybe about three guys who run-blocked about that terribly, too.  So not sure how much to blame DeFillipo, and whether he might not look like a great prospect again if working on a team with a competent o-line.

In what world is Cousins poor, lol

Online Fox_NFLs_GG

• Second String
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2019, 06:01:04 AM »
Cousins isn't great but not bad.

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2019, 07:49:52 AM »
Dorrell will probably become the WR coach according to reports.  It is going to be interesting to see if Campen leaves.  It sounds like the front office is ok with letting all of MM's guys walk away.  I do see the idea behind that and wanting all remnants of the previous staff gone.  But, finding good OL coaches isn't all that easy and Campan has had some success and I would think is popular with the players. 

I go back to wondering about DeFillipo for the OC job.  As others have pointed out, he is still a pretty darn good coach and didn't all of a sudden become a bozo that doesn't know what he is doing.  He is not going to get another job calling plays soon, so coming into Green Bay and working with LaFleur and rebuilding his reputation seems like a logical thing to do.  Be the OC/QB coach and if the Packers turn it around and become a factor again on offense, he is back in the conversations for becoming a head coach. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2019, 08:17:46 AM »
It seems that between Hackett, Monken, and DeFillipo that ML should find himself an inventive mind to help built the game plans that he can execute as HC/play caller.

Things seem to be moving in positive directions.

No rush....................make good hiring choices.

My father always told me, "measure twice, cut once".