January 18, 2019, 05:30:10 AM

Author Topic: Assistant Coach Hirings/Firings  (Read 3484 times)

Online craig

• HOF Member
Assistant Coach Hirings/Firings
« on: January 10, 2019, 12:34:39 PM »
Thought a dedicated threat to hirings, firings, or rumors relating to assistant coaches might be nice?   

https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky

Out:
Zook (Demovsky)
Raih (young WR coach)  (per Demovsky)

Rumor:
Brayden Coombs rumored to be coming to Packers, young guy, assistant ST guy at Bengals

Note:  Demovsky says Raih was given permission to talk elsewhere, and a rumor that he wouldn't be back.  But didn't say he was actually out for sure or fired or anything. 

Silverstein says that Pettine will be back; but I'm not sure that was an "official" fact, or just his assumption based on what he's heard. 

Offline footballdad

• Second String
Re: Assistant Coach Hirings/Firings
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 01:31:12 AM »

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 06:24:15 AM »
Philbin has interviewed for the O line position with the Vikings.

Minnesota is interested in talking with Campen as are other teams.  He is under contract and the Packers don't have to let him interview with anyone if they don't want to.  Given that he is well regarded in the league and he can bring some continunity to the team I would think MLF would be inclined to keep him on.

I saw somewhere that the tight ends coach was going to be retained but I am not going to look back to see if I can find a link.  He is a coach that is respected in the Packer organization.

Someone speculated that the Packers could bring in Caldwell as the QB coach.  He obviously has the experience and has worked with Peyton Manning so he has come cred.

There may not have been an official announcement but Pettitine will be back.  He wants to come back, the Packer brass really want him back and MLF had him on his list of DC's he'd like to hire.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/01/10/packers-matt-lafleur-looking-former-jaguars-oc-nathaniel-hackett/2540444002/

It's fun to throw out names but even the beat writers don't know if an assistant is capable unless it is very clear they are good or bad ( see Ron Zook)

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 10:43:27 AM »
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/11/matt-lafleur-packers-should-consider-john-defilippo-for-offensive-coordinator/

Interesting idea- his name was being bandied about at HC candidate earlier during the season and Zimmer has a reputation as being hired as offensive coordinator

In other news Hacket, the former Jax coach is in Green Bay today to talk about the HC job according to Rappaport

And Demonsky poured water on the idea that Coombs will be special teams coach

Online packlaw

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 02:16:02 PM »
Multiple reports indicate Mike Pettine retained as DC

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 02:19:24 PM »
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/11/matt-lafleur-packers-should-consider-john-defilippo-for-offensive-coordinator/

Interesting idea- his name was being bandied about at HC candidate earlier during the season and Zimmer has a reputation as being hired as offensive coordinator

In other news Hacket, the former Jax coach is in Green Bay today to talk about the HC job according to Rappaport

And Demonsky poured water on the idea that Coombs will be special teams coach

What I find weird about that is HOW does a guy go from assistant ST's coach to an OC?

Something fishy I think.

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 02:32:36 PM »
Coombs was not under consideration for O C job.

But Monken, is under consideration for OC according to a report.  You may recall that he was with Tampa and was interviewed for the head job.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 02:41:45 PM »
Coombs was not under consideration for O C job.

But Monken, is under consideration for OC according to a report.  You may recall that he was with Tampa and was interviewed for the head job.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/11/report-todd-monken-up-for-offensive-coordinator-in-detroit-green-bay/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 04:18:49 PM »
Gary Kubiak isn't going to be the offensive coordinator in Denver.   He wanted to bring some coaches to the staff and Fangio said "No".  Kubiak may remain in Denver in the personnel section.  LaFluer worked for Kubiak in Houston.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 04:32:08 PM »
Silverstein tweeted that Joe Whitt is gone(termination). 2 minutes ago.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 04:40:49 PM »
Wow, interesting! Hadn't expected that. 

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 04:46:31 PM »
I'm going to say I'm glad about that, actually, although of course what do I know? 

But I've wondered why he's tended to have such a good reputation in the media and message boards, as it's seemed to me. 

Yes, I know Tramon and Shields were UDFA that turned out fabulous under his authority, so I think they set his reputation. 

But in more recent years, it doesn't seem that many of the young guys have improved much. 

Second, it seems that our guys give such huge cushions to opposing receivers. 

Third, last year HaHa would play SO deep, he'd make the tackle but be so far back that catches could be made underneath and still get 1st downs. 

So I'm going to say I'm ready for a change, and maybe a more aggressive, less-cushion approach?

But yeah, what do I know, not much, I'm probably crazy.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 05:18:56 PM »
What I find interesting about this is petine said he wanted to hire his own guy, implying that mm saddled him with capers guys.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 07:09:09 PM »
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/01/11/packers-dismiss-defensive-pass-game-coordinator-joe-whitt-jr/2553966002/

What's intersting is that article seemed to think Whitt was let go by Gute, not Pettine.   Who knows but I think the coaches should hire their own staff and not the front office.

Campen is the only other guy with strong ties to MM- will be  interesting to see what happens to him

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 07:21:20 PM »
Interesting.  Fairly cryptic comment.  (For example, I can "work well" with pretty much everybody at my job, but I wouldn't necessarily think they all do the best work possible....?  So, maybe Pettine too thought they could do better? 

Murphy talked a lot about input from their Player Advisory Council.  I wonder if upper management got some input there that factored into this?