January 18, 2019, 05:21:30 AM

Author Topic: Complacency  (Read 644 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
Re: Complacency
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 01:48:26 PM »
And suddenly, after all the ridicule so many people had gotten for so long for pointing out this obvious fact, has been proven to be true. Let's hope they learned from this and stay energetic and competitive for the next several years.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 02:01:00 PM »
And suddenly, after all the ridicule so many people had gotten for so long for pointing out this obvious fact, has been proven to be true. Let's hope they learned from this and stay energetic and competitive for the next several years.

With a new coach and a team that may well be reenergized, that means there should be fewer or no excuses if Rodgers continues to underperform (according to his lofty standards). Also, since this would be another year removed from his latest shoulder injury (not forgetting the knee problem), with yet another off-season for R&R and the best rehab money can buy, he should be ready to lead this team to new heights. Also, this will let us know whether the players truly want to be held accountable, or whether they like the idea, but resent the reality. Gutekunst showed he is not afraid to clear house of underperformers/problem players )Clinton-Dix, Randall). He also has shown he's not afraid of FA. So, for all those calling for a "house cleaning" and more FA's, get ready, because this could well be your year.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 02:06:04 PM »
I couldn't agree more.  What others call complacency, I call the Country Club.   Players collecting paychecks by mailing "performances" in on Sunday.  Needed a new culture brought in and get established.   I don't know how good LaFleur is going to be but a change was needed.  If you aren't a starter you better be pushing a starter or hit the road.  I don't expect a guy like Kizer to start, but he needs to show some development, not like 4 years of Hundley when you wonder if he ever went to practice.  I hope this is a new chapter in the Packers approach.   Coaches, players, scouts if they aren't performing, get rid of them.   Guys like HHCD avoiding contact at all costs, Perry should just sleep in the trainers office,  and Kevin King cant eat without getting hurt.   There are cap complications with many of these guys but they aren't helping you on the field. That culture needs to change.  JMO     

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 04:05:55 PM »
"Il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres." -- Voltaire
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 06:32:13 PM »
I think ML coached Kizer his frosh year at ND. Maybe he can get something out of him

Online Fox_NFLs_GG

• Second String
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 07:39:16 PM »
Long term winning teams do have coaching turnover due to other teams taking their coaches. It keeps things competitive amoungst coaches and they are forced to bring in new energetic coaches to replace them. Not too many teams have been too interested in the Packers coaches and the ones that did get head coaching gigs elsewhere failed big time. Green Bay has been the team that eventually had to replace their coaches because they were stale or just plane bad. Teams like New England had to replace coaches because they moved on to other teams and promoted a highly competitive environment that pushed coaches and players to be better.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 08:21:09 PM »
Long term winning teams do have coaching turnover due to other teams taking their coaches. It keeps things competitive amoungst coaches and they are forced to bring in new energetic coaches to replace them. Not too many teams have been too interested in the Packers coaches and the ones that did get head coaching gigs elsewhere failed big time. Green Bay has been the team that eventually had to replace their coaches because they were stale or just plane bad. Teams like New England had to replace coaches because they moved on to other teams and promoted a highly competitive environment that pushed coaches and players to be better.

The coaches from NE who became HC's elsewhere have failed. Meanwhile, Andy Reid and Doug Peterson are doing fine. Also, with the apparent exception of Garoppolo, NE QB's have bombed elsewhere. As have esteemed GB backup QB's when given the chance to start. With the exception of AR. So, what have we learned? Transplanting success is unlikely.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 09:15:21 PM »

The coaches from NE who became HC's elsewhere have failed. Meanwhile, Andy Reid and Doug Peterson are doing fine. Also, with the apparent exception of Garoppolo, NE QB's have bombed elsewhere. As have esteemed GB backup QB's when given the chance to start. With the exception of AR. So, what have we learned? Transplanting success is unlikely.

I believe he is referring to the MM coaching tree of MacAdoo and Philbin. Not the Holmgren tree of Reid, Pederson, Gruden, etc. Two very different eras in Green Bay as far as coaching goes.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 06:49:50 AM »
This is going to be an albatross around MM's neck when he interviews elsewhere. Why did he allow the offense to grow predictable and stale? Was it stubborness or lack of creativity? And why did the team become complacent? Excessive loyalty and Aaron Rodgers. The former meant he'd   keep low performing assistants and players around because of familiarity, and not play guys who were good because he didn't like them (Aaron Jones, apparently). As far as AR goes, why worry when you knew he'd pull a miracle play out when needed to win the game? Has the game "passed him by"? Because it seems the NFL is going for the younger, "next Sean McVey" rather than retreads. Kliff Kingsbury? Seriously?

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 08:15:01 AM »
....I believe he is referring to the MM coaching tree of MacAdoo and Philbin. Not the Holmgren tree of Reid, Pederson, Gruden, etc. Two very different eras in Green Bay as far as coaching goes.

Yes.  What happened with Holmgren in the 90's isn't that relevant to what's happened during MM's 13 years. 

Not all that many MM guys have seemed to be heavily pursued or to move up the coaching ladder.  There was a time when Moss got some interviews.  Perhaps the biggest "successes" would be McAdoo, who moved up to OC and then to coach.  And Philbin? 

But it's not like anybody who got a crack at MM's offensive coaching staff was on a direct ladder to get OC offers quickly.  Or that getting hired onto Caper's staff put you on a direct path to get DC offers. 

Online Fox_NFLs_GG

• Second String
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 09:13:02 AM »

Yes they have failed, but NE has a staff change that is somewhat consistent and no one gets complacent. They strive to be better. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 10:04:06 AM »
Belichick's coaching skills dont transfer.  You gotta have him in the mix.  McVay's may not either.  He's pretty bright, and we'll see how his understudies do with other teams.     

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 01:39:40 PM »
This is going to be an albatross around MM's neck when he interviews elsewhere. Why did he allow the offense to grow predictable and stale? Was it stubborness or lack of creativity? And why did the team become complacent? Excessive loyalty and Aaron Rodgers. The former meant he'd   keep low performing assistants and players around because of familiarity, and not play guys who were good because he didn't like them (Aaron Jones, apparently). As far as AR goes, why worry when you knew he'd pull a miracle play out when needed to win the game? Has the game "passed him by"? Because it seems the NFL is going for the younger, "next Sean McVey" rather than retreads. Kliff Kingsbury? Seriously?

I really could care less about MM's future and how his past may affect it.

He's a big boy, let him deal with "whatever".