February 16, 2019, 05:26:17 PM

Author Topic: Complacency  (Read 1215 times)

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Complacency
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 03:08:27 PM »
Well, this is certainly interesting. Graham being brought back for a second year? So, is the team blaming MM for not using JG correctly? Will he be lined up somewhere further off the line, where he can be utilized as a receiver rather than a traditional TE? Is he capable of being a red zone threat? Can he be an effective "chain mover/outlet receiver"? In short, can MCL better utilize his limited talents than MM could? Apparently, the Packers are willing to give it a try. Or is this an example of continued complacency?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/29/report-packers-expected-to-pay-jimmy-grahams-roster-bonus/

As I mentioned in another thread.  Guys who didnt do well under MM might flourish under Lafleurs system. I think Graham is just about done, he was a disappointment in Seattle but maybe they see something in him for this system?  This likely rules out a FA Jared Cook return.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 09:10:23 PM »
As I mentioned in another thread.  Guys who didnt do well under MM might flourish under Lafleurs system. I think Graham is just about done, he was a disappointment in Seattle but maybe they see something in him for this system?  This likely rules out a FA Jared Cook return.

It could also be a bridge to a rookie TE, someone who could be mentored and learn behind a very good TE in his prime. Because it seems likely the Packers are going to draft a TE, and why not have a vet to help teach him what it takes to make it in the NFL, on and off the field?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 11:59:17 AM »
We need to keep in mind that this will be an entirely new offense.  If MM had stayed around, then it would have really made no sense to keep Graham around for what he was being asked to do.  LaFleur however will use him differently and if watching the Rams use of their TE's is an indication, Graham could see a tick up in his use and the routes he will be running.  I still think they draft a TE early on, but maybe just not at the end of round 1 like many are predicting. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 01:44:58 PM »
Bakhtiari talked had an interesting talk on @WildeAndTausch. Said it was more about accountability.

https://twitter.com/zachkruse2/status/1090655280856223745

Honestly, the whole show started to unravel after the NFCC loss to SEA and MM's brother dying.

He just didn't seem to give a rip anymore.

Janis had some pretty strong words about it in an interview this week as well.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 03:38:38 PM »
So, where does the buck stop? With the players? Because they are professionals, and should be acting in a manner consistent with their status. The coaches, for not enforcing discipline in guys who have had special treatment since at least high school? With TT, or not seeing the team getting slack, and calling the coaches to account, and demanding changes? What about Murphy, who oversees everyone, but did nothing? The team has now cleaned house, with some players being sent away; the coaches have been purged; TT is gone. But Murphy remains. Apparently he had no responsibility in any of this, and therefore no consequences for his inactions.

Just read this at CheeseheadTV, and think it pretty much nails the dangers inherent in "staying the course". What I disagree with is when the writer says that cutting older, expensive underperforming players (Cobb and CMIII) would somehow be unpopular with fans. Yet when reading PC and other fan sites, it seems the fans are more than willing to move on. Let Matthews go unless he takes a huge pay cut and moves to ILB is the usual solution. Cobb? Too injury prone. This could be the nightmare scenario: a new HC who will simply "go with the flow" and try to maintain the status quo because he is bowing to pressure from Gutekunst and Murphy. Or maybe its just Murphy.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/does-keeping-jimmy-graham-signal-that-the-packers-will-be-players-in-free-agency-335
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 04:27:14 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 07:30:20 AM »
They need to change the culture and I think they are doing that.  The coaches are gone who allowed mediocrity to creep in to the organization.  When a guy like Fackrell comes in and outperforms Matthews and Perry, its telling.  The packers did the right thing in getting rid of most of these coaches.   Now Gute needs to bring in hungry talent.    I mentioned before this was a country club with guys mailing in performances on Sunday.   That 31-0 vs Detroit the last week was all you needed to see.    Its time to keep a small nucleus, get rid of the slackers, and retool this team.  If the backups aren't pushing the starters, they need to go.  You cant have guys like Brett Hundley here for years, looking like he just came in off a turnip truck.  Thats coaching and accountability.   This next roster building needs to be all about production.   Based on performance, a guy like Belichick would be ripping this roster apart, and getting rid of the hanger ons, guys who aren't prepared to play.   Those guys are poison to a retooling organization, and they need to sort out who can play in the new system and get rid of those who cant or wont.   JMO

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 02:14:20 PM »
They need to change the culture and I think they are doing that.  The coaches are gone who allowed mediocrity to creep in to the organization.  When a guy like Fackrell comes in and outperforms Matthews and Perry, its telling.  The packers did the right thing in getting rid of most of these coaches.   Now Gute needs to bring in hungry talent.    I mentioned before this was a country club with guys mailing in performances on Sunday.   That 31-0 vs Detroit the last week was all you needed to see.    Its time to keep a small nucleus, get rid of the slackers, and retool this team.  If the backups aren't pushing the starters, they need to go.  You cant have guys like Brett Hundley here for years, looking like he just came in off a turnip truck.  Thats coaching and accountability.   This next roster building needs to be all about production.   Based on performance, a guy like Belichick would be ripping this roster apart, and getting rid of the hanger ons, guys who aren't prepared to play.   Those guys are poison to a retooling organization, and they need to sort out who can play in the new system and get rid of those who cant or wont.   JMO

It is fine to play hardball as long as you as leadership holds everyone equally accountable. The first problem in the current Packers locker room is that AR is at the top of the list and no one is getting rid of him.

The biggest issue is that it starts at the top with Murphy and his change in management structure to gain himself more power. He really needs to go back to letting the GM run the football side and he can go back to riding innertubes and drinking hot chocolate and continue to build his Wally World. Hopefully they can avoid signing an over priced FA just for the sake of a PR move like the Graham signing last year. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 02:27:11 PM »

It is fine to play hardball as long as you as leadership holds everyone equally accountable. The first problem in the current Packers locker room is that AR is at the top of the list and no one is getting rid of him.

The biggest issue is that it starts at the top with Murphy and his change in management structure to gain himself more power. He really needs to go back to letting the GM run the football side and he can go back to riding innertubes and drinking hot chocolate and continue to build his Wally World. Hopefully they can avoid signing an over priced FA just for the sake of a PR move like the Graham signing last year.

;D

Is there somewhere I can apply for that kind of job?

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 05:10:52 PM »

The way that I see it is that Murphy has asserted himself in order to help rid the organization of complacency.  I do not see him influencing things like draft picks - I believe that he will leave that to Gute.  However, as far as a coach, he wanted to make sure that there was a sense of urgency with the man and he found that in MLF.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi