January 18, 2019, 06:25:01 AM

Author Topic: Playoffs thread  (Read 287 times)

Offline yourout

• Starter
Playoffs thread
« on: January 12, 2019, 03:22:18 PM »
The Chiefs offense is a treat to watch.

Offline yourout

• Starter
Re: Playoffs thread
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 07:40:19 PM »
It's really startling how much more speed the playoff teams have compared to the Packers

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 04:30:47 AM »
It's also startling to see that there are now several qbs playing at or even above Aarons level.  The NFL seems to be on track to solving the shortage of qbs.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 08:20:00 AM »
Home team has held serve so far this weekend.

That favors the Saints today, but I'm pulling for Rivers to be the "fly in the soup" for NE.

Would like to see Rivers get a shot at a SB. He's been a warrior for a long time.

Offline yourout

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 02:00:20 PM »
Man I wish Peterson was the Packer coach. Very creative passing routes with overs and combination routes. Tons of misdirection.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 02:56:06 PM »
Help me out here. . .

Who was the future all pro QB that we kept instead of Taysom Hill?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:56:37 PM by marklawrence »

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 03:17:12 PM »
Help me out here. . .

I knew this was going to come up again. Yes, Taysom Hill is a transcendent QB; he makes Mahones look like Mabaloney. He is the answer at backup to Rodgers, and the next great QB in the league. No, he is a special teams player who makes a few clutch plays a year. Would he be doing that with the Packers? Would Zook be designing fake punt formations that worked? Would MM have been creative enough to invent new ways to utilize Hill's athletitcism? Or would he simply be JAG on ST's. Most likely the latter. The Packers still need a decent developmental or vet backup QB. They have neither right now. And Hill wouldn't be the answer.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 03:32:33 PM »
New England looks like N.E. again.  Would be nice to have a creative O.C. from that organization.  Hope Murphy made the right choice.

Offline SET4YRS

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 05:52:25 PM »
 It's really impressive what the Colts did with so little cap space, they will load up next year and be the next super-roster that sticks around for a few years.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 06:10:49 PM »
Help me out here. . .

I knew this was going to come up again. Yes, Taysom Hill is a transcendent QB; he makes Mahones look like Mabaloney. He is the answer at backup to Rodgers, and the next great QB in the league. No, he is a special teams player who makes a few clutch plays a year. Would he be doing that with the Packers? Would Zook be designing fake punt formations that worked? Would MM have been creative enough to invent new ways to utilize Hill's athletitcism? Or would he simply be JAG on ST's. Most likely the latter. The Packers still need a decent developmental or vet backup QB. They have neither right now. And Hill wouldn't be the answer.

Actually, he's a swiss army knife player who can do many things, and do them better than average. We saw that today.

I would take Hill as our back up QB over both out current backups..............in a heart beat.

I don't think Mark was insinuating that he would have been the heir apparent to Rodgers.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 09:37:15 PM »
I have to agree with Mark.

Its really something how these teams have such creative offenses and how the quarterbacking has caught up to AR. 

To me its remarkable how well Brees and Brady are playing with 1.) Such advanced age, and 2.) Not really  a heck of a lot at the receiver spot.  Its pretty clear that Gronk is a shadow of what he was, and the Saints have Ben Watson at TE.  That guy is about 38 years old. 

And then you have Mahomes, Goff and Prescott in the youth corps.

Plus what looks like two top tier guys who came in this year: Darnold and Mayfield.  MM was no dummy wanting to the  coach for the Jets.  That kid is going to be good.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 10:17:27 PM »
Actually, he's a swiss army knife player who can do many things, and do them better than average. We saw that today.

I would take Hill as our back up QB over both out current backups..............in a heart beat.

I don't think Mark was insinuating that he would have been the heir apparent to Rodgers.

Nope. He's a player who does good things a few times a season. And why would you take him as a backup QB? Because there is NO evidence he is a competent QB. Just a gadget player who can be utilized in specific roles at specific times. Why is Hill so beloved? Also, if you don't think he'd be the heir apparent to AR, why would you want Hill as a backup? So he could run trick plays four or five times a season? How about a legitimate QB prospect who could be a viable backup or be traded for a decent pick? I simply don't get this outsize respect/love for this guy. It reminds me of the outsize expectations for Janis, or, going back into the QB vaults, being absolutely sure that Craig Nall was going to be a really good QB in the league.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:22:29 PM by ricky »

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 11:37:03 PM »
 Haven't watched any saints games this year, have you?

It's not a few time a year, it's several times a game.

Many here thought he was quite the talent when we had him, and he got cut in favor of guys who can't throw a td at lambeau.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 11:13:32 AM »
Haven't watched any saints games this year, have you?

It's not a few time a year, it's several times a game.

Many here thought he was quite the talent when we had him, and he got cut in favor of guys who can't throw a td at lambeau.

I'll take your word for it that Hill makes specialty plays several times a game. However, there are two things that I'll readdress. First, he is doing this in NO, where they have innovative and creative offensive coaches. The Packers had MM, who didn't ms coach. Sake significant changes to the offense for years. And they had Zook, who was a terrible ST's. So, who was going to design the plays that would  highlight Hill's unique physical skills?  My gosh, MM didn't use Jones for large parts of games for some reason. Maybe his pad level wasn't right. (CHEAP SHOT!)

Second, there is no proof, none whatsoever, that Hill would be an improvement as a backup to Rodgers. This is not to say the backups the team has now are good; they're not. But would Hill be a vast improvement, if, as seems very clear, he wasn't going to be used the way the Saints are using him? So, you'd be swapping one not good QB for another not good QB, though one who could be useful IF the staff was creative and open minded enough to use him correctly. Which they weren't and wouldn't. New Orleans under Payton is a good fit for Hill. GB wasn't under MM and Zook.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 12:43:47 PM »
He couldn't hardly be worse.