April 19, 2019, 05:15:10 PM

Author Topic: running backs  (Read 1591 times)

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
running backs
« on: January 18, 2019, 02:49:24 PM »
Williams and Jones are a nice combination at running back.  But you have to be concerned that Jones has finished both of his seasons on IR.  With this in mind the Packers could use some depth in the mid rounds areas, I am thinking.   They also need to find a kick returner someplace so if this guy can return kickoffs and/ or punts so much the better.

I haven't looked at this position but if someone can give me names to jump start my efforts I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: running backs
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 03:47:12 PM »
I've posted about FS Nasir Adderley before (could be availabble as a very early round 3 pick). In addition to being a quality FS, he is a very accomplished return guy.

Stanford's RB Bryce Love has been disappointing and has slipped from at least a high 2nd round pick, down to a current Drafttek ranking of #119
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 02:41:14 AM »
Good find. I'm on board.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 07:15:59 AM »
I'm not sure how that translates to the NFL danno, but they were some seriously impressive highlights. The guy hasn't had a huge workload either, so he won't come into the NFL halfway used up. Listed 5'9", 200lb. At this point in time he looks like a 3rd or 4th round pick. I'm not sure about spending the Packers third rounder, but a 4th ? For sure. I'm not sure if he does returns as well, but he could also be exceptional there.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 08:55:23 AM »
He reminds me a lot of Aaron Jones, which might make sense as Jones is a difficult task for defenses to defend. These smaller backs can hide behind the big OL and then they do a fast squirk through a crease. Rotating them and keeping them fresh could be a smart thing to do.

Having another back that presents this "issue" for defenses would reduce the wear and tear on Jones which is something folks have expressed a concern over, since he has not finished each of his first two seasons.

Can he return kicks?

Yes, but he did so on a limited basis. He didn't have much success this last season, but was better in 2017. 2016 he only return a couple kicks, but it was for a 50+ yd average.

Has not done any punts, but I think Packers have others who can handle those duties.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 01:53:09 AM »
What I noticed about Henderson watching the film, he has balance. Just like Jones. That's what makes them good. They get him and can maintain their balance and course and adjust as necessary. This is something guys like Jamal William's, Brandon Jackson, and many recent Green Bay RBs haven't had.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 06:12:34 AM »
I like that he is a competent receiver out of the backfield as well. He could be a mismatch against LB's.

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 06:50:06 PM »
Danno I also like Henderson, short but strong and powerful, with more than enough speed. 

Another smallish, mid-round RB I have my eye on is Karan Higdon of Michigan

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/23/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-karan-higdon/

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 11:39:42 AM »
What I noticed about Henderson watching the film, he has balance. Just like Jones. That's what makes them good. They get him and can maintain their balance and course and adjust as necessary. This is something guys like Jamal William's, Brandon Jackson, and many recent Green Bay RBs haven't had.

An underrated trait for RBs. Just like QBs who have a big arm but can't read the field (there are always GMs who rate arm strength too highly and the fieldcraft not enough). It's like the RBs who run pretty well but can't block, they have limited use. you have to be at least good enough not to get run over when blocking for the pass.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 12:08:02 PM »

An underrated trait for RBs. Just like QBs who have a big arm but can't read the field (there are always GMs who rate arm strength too highly and the fieldcraft not enough). It's like the RBs who run pretty well but can't block, they have limited use. you have to be at least good enough not to get run over when blocking for the pass.

IMO that's one of the things that all great running backs have I  common. They arent all the same size, they arent all the strongest, they arent all the fastest, but, they all have amazing balance when running the football.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 12:59:40 PM »

IMO that's one of the things that all great running backs have I  common. They arent all the same size, they arent all the strongest, they arent all the fastest, but, they all have amazing balance when running the football.

Emmitt Smith is the first one that comes to mind.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 04:58:59 PM »

Sanders, Smith, Tomlinson, Sayers, Brown, Pederson, Davis, Charles, etc. All had great balance.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 05:40:52 PM »

Sanders, Smith, Tomlinson, Sayers, Brown, Pederson, Davis, Charles, etc. All had great balance.

Don't forget "Sweetness".

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 07:41:06 PM »

Don't forget "Sweetness".

Oh i meant to add Payton to the list. My bad.