April 18, 2019, 05:45:18 PM

Author Topic: Tight Ends 2019  (Read 5950 times)

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Tight Ends 2019
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2019, 06:13:33 AM »
Ben Fennell ( @ Ben Fennell) had some interesting thoughts on the tight end position for the Packers.  I had problems with the link but I'll summarize.

MLF doesn't need a dynamic tight end in his system.  If they can't get Hockenson they should skip Fant, Knox and Sternberger. Look at players like Wesco, Sweeney, Beck.

Tight end needs to play every down, disguise intent and be an efficient blocker- can scheme production from them.

Wesco, Sweeney, Beck ?............ouch
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2019, 07:19:38 AM »
Ben Fennell ( @ Ben Fennell) had some interesting thoughts on the tight end position for the Packers.  I had problems with the link but I'll summarize.

MLF doesn't need a dynamic tight end in his system.  If they can't get Hockenson they should skip Fant, Knox and Sternberger. Look at players like Wesco, Sweeney, Beck.

Tight end needs to play every down, disguise intent and be an efficient blocker- can scheme production from them.

Wesco, Sweeney, Beck ?............ouch

Lol, Packers fans were like test driving BMW 7 Series and get slapped with the reality that the auto budget will get them a Hyundai Elantra.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2019, 07:55:36 AM »

The timing of this is interesting because I was told this morning that the Packers have spend a lot of time on late round/UDFA type TE's. The names he gave me were Andrew Beck, Texas - Mik'Quan Deane, Western Kentucky - Daniel Helm, Duke - Kano Dillon, Oregon - Vincent Hobbs, Texas A&M Commerce - Isaiah Searight, Fordham. He said he didn't think that the Packers would force a TE in the first 2 days if the value really wasn't there, not that they wouldn't take one, but that they wouldn't make a positional adjustment to their board to make sure they got one. The route they may end up taking is just signing a couple of these guys after the draft........or take T.J. Hockenson or Noah Fant with their first pick........or take one of 8-10 others in the middle rounds. I think I covered all the bases there.

The point is that before this morning I was sure that the Packers would be drafting a TE fairly early in the draft, now I guess that I won't be totally shock if they don't.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2019, 11:42:11 AM »
Yes.............you did cover all the bases, and the outfield, and the grandstands. (LOL)

I still think that Hock is the primary target, and after him (should he be gone at #12) it's possible they make take a late day 2 or early day 3 shot at guys like Dawson Knox, Foster Moreau, and Drew Sample. They won't be day 1 starters, but they may get a few snaps here and there as part of a TE rotation. Let's face it...........Graham doesn't block (at all) and Lewis is a better blocker than receiver at his age. That leaves just Tonyan, and he's no where near ready to be a "Y"/Combo TE, which is what MLF wants for this offense.

The late round/udfa type guys you listed are more or less PS players, for a year or two, who will need time to develop before they are ready to contribute. And of those you mentioned I think that Beck and Helm are the best of that group. Developing a couple on the PS for the future would make a lot of sense since a true "Y" TE is so important to the overall scheme of MLF's offense.

MLF wants a George Kittle/Delanie Walker type TE for this offense, and in this draft, Hock is the one that fits that profile the best.

The only way I see Hock not the pick at #12 would be (1) The Jets trade happens and Gute moves to #3, (2) Ed Oliver is still available at #12, and (3) Hock is already gone at #12.

JMO.............but I think they covet Hock so much that if Devin White and Montez Sweat were still there at #12 along with Hock, I think they'd take Hock.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2019, 09:40:23 AM »
Yes.............you did cover all the bases, and the outfield, and the grandstands. (LOL)

I still think that Hock is the primary target, and after him (should he be gone at #12) it's possible they make take a late day 2 or early day 3 shot at guys like Dawson Knox, Foster Moreau, and Drew Sample. They won't be day 1 starters, but they may get a few snaps here and there as part of a TE rotation. Let's face it...........Graham doesn't block (at all) and Lewis is a better blocker than receiver at his age. That leaves just Tonyan, and he's no where near ready to be a "Y"/Combo TE, which is what MLF wants for this offense.

The late round/udfa type guys you listed are more or less PS players, for a year or two, who will need time to develop before they are ready to contribute. And of those you mentioned I think that Beck and Helm are the best of that group. Developing a couple on the PS for the future would make a lot of sense since a true "Y" TE is so important to the overall scheme of MLF's offense.

MLF wants a George Kittle/Delanie Walker type TE for this offense, and in this draft, Hock is the one that fits that profile the best.

The only way I see Hock not the pick at #12 would be (1) The Jets trade happens and Gute moves to #3, (2) Ed Oliver is still available at #12, and (3) Hock is already gone at #12.

JMO.............but I think they covet Hock so much that if Devin White and Montez Sweat were still there at #12 along with Hock, I think they'd take Hock.

Saw a mock that had the Packers going up to 7 (Jags), to take Hock.  Detroit at 8 appears to be a potentially hot Hockenson landing spot.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2019, 10:26:59 AM »
I’ve also seen mocks with JAX taking Hock at #7.

I think it would cost a lot of draft capital to move up that far to get him, and as much as I want him, I still don’t want to spend any extra draft capital to get him.

If he’s gone by #12, I would wait until 3rd/4th round to take one of Knox, Moreau, or Sample and then find another “Y” TE in next years draft.