April 25, 2019, 12:43:33 PM

Author Topic: Tight Ends 2019  (Read 6122 times)

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Tight Ends 2019
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 02:07:42 AM »
Back to Tony Pauline comments (from the Senior Bowl week). With regard to TEs, after day two's practice he did a podcast, where he mentioned he particularly liked the work of Josh Oliver (San Jose St.) listed as 6'5", 253.

Draft network has this to say about him. https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/13/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-josh-oliver/

Sadly, checking Drafttek's big board, Oliver was listed very high (28th overall).

(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 03:43:46 AM »
I'm firmly in the Hockenson fan club. As a receiver he instantly improves the passing game, same with the running game. Fantastic blocker as well. IMHO he is a day one starter. Regardless of team needs, great teams are built on having great players. Jimmy Graham is near the end and at this point in his career is not worth the dollars. If Graham were to be cut, the pack would gain 5.3 million to spend in free agency.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/10/15/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-t-j-hockenson/

Online PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 06:11:21 PM »
CJ Conrad  Kentucky, another Jason Whitten.  Big bodied, deadly in red zone, great blocker.  Chain mover!

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 11:58:30 PM »
IMO, Hockenson will not last to number 30.

We would have to take him at 12 or trade down to say 15 and gamble he will be there.

Looking at his tape, he is a real al real all around tight end.  And those guys are rare.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 08:47:45 AM »
Both of these guys are expected to go in the mid 1st/early 2nd round

https://www.facebook.com/BTN/videos/tj-hockenson-noah-fant-week-7-highlights/331331847444852/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfUYGa43mvw

Depending on what they do in free agency, I would not hesitate to take Hockenson at #30.

Yea scouts love him and sources say Hockenson is a gem, so taking him at 12 might be their best bet. He looks like one of the top players in the draft and maybe the top offensive player. Preliminary grades for the NFL combine already list him as the top offensive player. So, in terms of drafting the best player at a position of need... it's pretty self explanatory. Fans won't like it because of the obvious need at edge rusher, but the idea is to obtain the best player. Take him at 12 or he's gone, probably goes to Atlanta. Detroit might also be the team that nabs him early. That being said, Noah Fant might be available at 30, so whichever way they go it will be a tough sacrifice to make and you might miss out on TE entirely if you pass on Hockenson, which leaves the position unaddressed and it needs to be.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 09:00:05 AM by claymaker »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 01:29:59 PM »
If Hockenson is there at #12 and he's the BPA on the Packers board, why in the world would they try and trade down a few spots with hopes he's still there?

If he's your best BPA, you take him at #12.

BOOM!

Online packlaw

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 01:54:57 AM »
No way we take a tight end at #12. Our #1 priority is edge or DL and there should be one or the other at #12.  Like or not, we still have Graham.  An edge rusher, dl, safety and OL are our priorities.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 02:24:59 AM »
Why not? We have a TE who cannot and never could block, will be 33 at the mid point of the season, and is clearly on the downside. We also have an undrafted free agent who has shown flashes of ability, but just a tease at this point. Clearly everything you mentioned is a need. TE is as well. IMO teams are built by selecting the best player. The point is having a better guy than the opposing player on the other side of the ball. Hockenson is that guy.

Online PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 05:16:02 AM »
I have very high expectations for folks drafted in the first round.  History of tight ends drafted in the 1st rd shows they take a while to develop.  Fortunately, we do have 2 first rd picks this year.  My only concern is that our defense is lame.  However, if we can sign some defensive free agents (Ford, Thomas, Jarrett, etc.), that alters my decision and lean towards a TE.  I am not in favor of drafting a WR in the 1st or 2nd rd.  Management made a terrible decision in letting Nelson go.  I understand the reasoning, the Cobb, Allison and Kumerow injury did not help and forced us to to go to plan C, three rookies.

I do like Kentucky's TE (CJ Conrad), he's big, he blocks and he catches balls over the middle!  He doesn't get all the kudos that some of the other folks get.  I'm not quite enamored as alot of folks are about the two Iowa tight ends, but we'll see. 

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 06:42:36 AM »
TEs  hardly ever get drafted early, but rather later in the 1st round. I don't know if it's because they don't run good routes, or need to develop strength for the pro game. Vernon David and Ebron are two that I can think of and Davis ran the 40 in 4.4 weighing 240+ pounds, if my memory is right.
From what I have read, not making me an expert, is that Fant will test much better than Hockenson and his blocking isn't that bad. So on potential...maybe the Pack waits and grabs Fant or Smith in the second round. Either way, the Packers would be foolish to ignore the TE talent in this year's draft just not at 12.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 08:24:48 AM »
Let’s wait and see how the TE’s test at the Combine and then visit this again afterwards.

That’s why I’m waiting until the Combine is over before I post another Packers Mock

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 09:52:41 AM »
TEs  hardly ever get drafted early, but rather later in the 1st round. I don't know if it's because they don't run good routes, or need to develop strength for the pro game. Vernon David and Ebron are two that I can think of and Davis ran the 40 in 4.4 weighing 240+ pounds, if my memory is right.
From what I have read, not making me an expert, is that Fant will test much better than Hockenson and his blocking isn't that bad. So on potential...maybe the Pack waits and grabs Fant or Smith in the second round. Either way, the Packers would be foolish to ignore the TE talent in this year's draft just not at 12.
Fant could be a diva when he gets a big contract...he was benched during a game Iowa lost because of attitude

Hoc is just another Kittle for the 49ers...but maybe a better blocker

edge rusher???? I think it will mostly come down to what Pettine wants. he prefers an OLB on the lines of Perry...little bigger and can hold the edge vs the run....

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2019, 10:30:25 AM »
Fant could be a diva when he gets a big contract...he was benched during a game Iowa lost because of attitude

First I heard of this, what game was that?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:33:23 AM by Fargofootball »

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2019, 12:20:22 PM »

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2019, 04:21:02 PM »
 Just wondering what game Fant got benched. Never did to my knowledge, which I grant is not as extensive as some. Still I tend to watch Hawkeye football closely ( I pay no attention to fan boards except this one) but never have heard of this before the post above. Many can like Hoc better and they are not wrong for that.

To me Fant has the tools and the chance to become great in the NFL. If the pack "ends up" with him I will be quite satisfied the TE position is set for years. Frankly Fant has made catches that Hoc never has. Stanley was not accurate and Fant turned to scoop up  poor throw after poor throw from Stanley.  Hoc's 40 will be telling come the combine. Fant will kill the combine.

I hope we get one of the two..... But not at 12.