March 25, 2019, 02:39:04 AM

Author Topic: Tight Ends 2019  (Read 3869 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Tight Ends 2019
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2019, 10:51:06 AM »
Could the confusion about Fant be because he choose to sit out their bowl game?

There is a high number of NFL teams in need of some TE talent from this years draft and they are lucky that a number of high quality underclassman decided to enter the draft early this season. But I do believe the run on TE's will come earlier than normal this year because of the need. Wouldn't be surprised when one is drafted that it sparks a small run on the top TE's in this years class. Is it late first or early second? If the Packers want one of the top guys they will probably need to use pick 30 or 44 to land one of them in all likelihood. Their is also some quality depth to this draft for the position and there will be some solid pros available from the 3rd round on, just think that those players have their flaws and physical shortcomings. It will be interesting to see if Gute is willing to put high draft capital into a position that Ron Wolf or Ted Thompson never did. Has the game changed enough that the positional value of a TE would justify an early draft investment? Will be fun to watch play out.     

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2019, 03:02:38 PM »
Just wondering what game Fant got benched. Never did to my knowledge, which I grant is not as extensive as some. Still I tend to watch Hawkeye football closely ( I pay no attention to fan boards except this one) but never have heard of this before the post above. Many can like Hoc better and they are not wrong for that.

To me Fant has the tools and the chance to become great in the NFL. If the pack "ends up" with him I will be quite satisfied the TE position is set for years. Frankly Fant has made catches that Hoc never has. Stanley was not accurate and Fant turned to scoop up  poor throw after poor throw from Stanley.  Hoc's 40 will be telling come the combine. Fant will kill the combine.

I hope we get one of the two..... But not at 12.

Northwestern....Fant only had 9 snaps in a loss...when Kirk was asked why his comment was...Hoc had better skill set for what we wanted to do...

on some Hawkeye boards Fant and Farentz had some rough water during the week and prior....

AtIiowa it is a team culture and Fant had strayed somewhat from t hat culture

Farentz can be very hard headed at times..

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2019, 09:59:25 AM »
Fant ran a 4.5 forty.

To my knowledge, that is the fastest for tight ends this year.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2019, 12:31:38 PM »
TE Results   -  40    Bench    Vertical    Broad    3 cone    Shuttle  60 yd Shuttle

Fant -           4.5     20          39.5       127       6.81        4.22       11.49
Hockenson    4.7     17          37.5       123       7.02        4.18       11.55
Irv Smith      4.63   19          32.5       110       7.32        4.33       12.44
Josh Oliver    4.63   22          34          117       7.21        4.47       12.01
Sternberger  4.75   17           31.5       113       7.19       4.31        12.09
Caleb Wilson 4.53                 29          113       7.20       4.4          12.18

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 12:45:19 PM »
Historically tight ends do not produce in the first year they are drafted.  But in our situation do you draft one and have him learn alongside our tight ends on the roster. 

The guy I like is CJ Conrad from Kentucky.  He is a very good blocker, gets open and catches the ball.  He's not flashy, he's not fast, he just does his job!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2019, 01:01:31 PM »
I've become a little intrigued by Foster Moreau/LSU, since he was testing near the top in almost all categories at the Combine.

At LSU he was under-utilized as a receiver since they ask their TE's to do so much run blocking. He needs refining as a receiver, but I think he has enough talent to be a good fit in MLF's offense.

What caught my eye was what Lance Zierlein (NFL.com) had to say about him:

Moreau is a feisty, committed run-blocking tackle[he meant TE] with solid technique and footwork to find proper angles in-line or on the move. He's tough enough to battle at the point of attack, but at his best when he's a lead blocker on iso, wham blocks, and outside zone with his ability to locate and land on second-level targets. He lacks finesse as a route-runner and is too content to be covered when matched up against a linebacker. While he's not dynamic, he should find work as a run-blocking option who can be moved around formations.

MLF's run offense will be outside zone, so file that tidbit away.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2019, 09:07:22 AM »
Historically tight ends do not produce in the first year they are drafted.  But in our situation do you draft one and have him learn alongside our tight ends on the roster. 

The guy I like is CJ Conrad from Kentucky.  He is a very good blocker, gets open and catches the ball.  He's not flashy, he's not fast, he just does his job!

After being medically disqualified at the combine, CJ Conrad still has not received clearance of his heart condition to workout at Kentucky's pro day on March 22nd.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2019, 08:46:14 PM »
#10 Eric Ebron
#38 Austin Safarian-Jenkins
#49 Jace Amaro
#52 Troy Niklas

#55 Maxx Williams

#35 Hunter Henry

#19 OJ Howard
#23 Evan Ingram
#29 David Njoku
#44 Gerald Everett
#45 Adam Shaheen

#25 Hayden Hurst
#42 Mike Gesicki
#49 Dallas Goedert

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2019, 09:01:25 PM »
Posted the above to show where TE's have been drafted over the 1st 2 rounds in each of the last 5 drafts.

As it pertains to Hockenson, Fant, Smith - lots of discussion across multiple threads as to why would we take Hockenson/Fant at #12 and not take the other at #30.   Looking at the above drafts I don't personally believe either will be available anywhere near #30.  Meaning if these are BPA we take one at #12, trade down a few slots to take Hockenson/Fant or hope for Smith at #44.  After that imo I wouldn't look at a TE until 4th round and beyond.

Looking over the previous 5 drafts and trying to avoid 20/20 hindsight, I would'have personally ranked the top TE prospects entering the draft as OJ Howard, Hockenson, Fant,  Ebron, Henry as the top TE talents and I see Irv Smith as comparable to Engram but with better blocking skills (elevating him slightly over Engram).

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2019, 07:42:09 AM »
Posted the above to show where TE's have been drafted over the 1st 2 rounds in each of the last 5 drafts.

As it pertains to Hockenson, Fant, Smith - lots of discussion across multiple threads as to why would we take Hockenson/Fant at #12 and not take the other at #30.   Looking at the above drafts I don't personally believe either will be available anywhere near #30.  Meaning if these are BPA we take one at #12, trade down a few slots to take Hockenson/Fant or hope for Smith at #44.  After that imo I wouldn't look at a TE until 4th round and beyond.

Looking over the previous 5 drafts and trying to avoid 20/20 hindsight, I would'have personally ranked the top TE prospects entering the draft as OJ Howard, Hockenson, Fant,  Ebron, Henry as the top TE talents and I see Irv Smith as comparable to Engram but with better blocking skills (elevating him slightly over Engram).

Don't agree with your take on waiting until the 4th if one of the top 3 is not taken. I listened to a former scouts podcast a few days ago and his belief (and mine) is that as many 9 TE's could go in the first 90 picks. Their is going to be a run on TE's in the 50-90 range, wait until the 4th and they will miss out on a quality player. IMHO

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2019, 08:41:45 AM »
IMO beyond those top three (maybe just top 2) I think there are better quality players at other positions through the top few rounds.   There’s depth of good TEs which is why I think some may last until the 4th but I’m not sure many would be BPA in those rounds outside of Hock and Fant.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2019, 01:35:11 PM »
Just posted this in the Marcedes Lewis thread.

After Hockenson and Irv Smith, they'd have to wait until the 4th/5th round for players like Dawson Knox, Kaden Smith, Drew Sample, and Foster Moreau who project as Y Te's.
But none of them are as game ready as Hockenson or Irv Smith, and would take a couple years to develop, whereas Hock is a Day 1 player difference maker and Smith would be knocking on the door by mid-season year 1.

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/TE?college=allColleges&page=1&status=ALL

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2019, 03:43:01 PM »
Danno, just to continue on some of things touch on here and in the Mercedes Lewis topic.

Last year Gute telegraphed his interest in CB's high in the draft and the whole time I thought it was just a deco, but it was not. This year many of us have chatted up Hockenson and/or someone who can add a blocking presence, but that is not the TE's that the Packers have currently been connected with. The list I have so far on TE's the Packers are connected with are Noah Fant of Iowa and Jace Sternberger of Texas A&M both with official combine visits and Irv Smith, Jr. who has one of the Packers 30 visits to GB scheduled. All 3 very good pass catchers and blocking not soo much. Is it a signal of something to come or a deco?

It is early and it will be interesting to see what other TE's end up connected to the Packers, but early signs are hinting at a pass catcher first.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2019, 03:24:46 AM »
RT......Stats would indicate that TJ is as good if not better than Fant as a receiver as well.

Fant  39  519 yds  13.3 avg  7 TD
Hock 49  760 yds  15.5 avg  6 TD plus one carry for a 4yd TD run

Add in the difference in blocking........to me it's a clear choice. The only thing that would make me think twice about taking Hockenson @12 would be if Oliver or White are still there.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/video/tj-hockenson-2018-highlights/vi-BBT3ItZ

https://www.reddit.com/r/Browns/comments/azocdo/tj_hockenson_blocking_highlights/

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2019, 07:03:01 AM »
Danno, just to continue on some of things touch on here and in the Mercedes Lewis topic.

Last year Gute telegraphed his interest in CB's high in the draft and the whole time I thought it was just a deco, but it was not. This year many of us have chatted up Hockenson and/or someone who can add a blocking presence, but that is not the TE's that the Packers have currently been connected with. The list I have so far on TE's the Packers are connected with are Noah Fant of Iowa and Jace Sternberger of Texas A&M both with official combine visits and Irv Smith, Jr. who has one of the Packers 30 visits to GB scheduled. All 3 very good pass catchers and blocking not soo much. Is it a signal of something to come or a deco?

It is early and it will be interesting to see what other TE's end up connected to the Packers, but early signs are hinting at a pass catcher first.

You're right about last year. Gute showed early and steady interest in drafting a CB with his first pick. Even most of the Mocks had the Packers drafting a DB in Round 1. But who did Gute "officially" show interest in?

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/11/tracking-packers-official-pre-draft-visits-ahead-of-2018-draft/

Derwin James, Donte Jackson, and Mike Hughes were the high draft picks to get official visits to Green Bay. Although many mocks had the Packers connected to Jackson and Alexander.............nothing offical from the Packers.

Until this last week and the FA spending spree, most everyone (self included) figured the first pick would be a pass rusher (Edge or DL), and that still might happen.

But when it comes to TE, just because Gute is on the record for showing interest in Fant and Smith at TE doesn't mean they don't have interest in Hockenson at #12.

Last years general interest in CB was genuine, but the "official" visits were a ruse/decoy as to who they likely really wanted with that first pick.
They could have had James at #15 but when NOLA called, it was too good a deal to pass on. Trade down, and trade back up. They said they still got their man in Alexander.

Are this year's "official" visit's/interest like last year? Ruse? Decoy?

Maybe. Maybe not.

I looked up five mocks that were made after the Packers splash in FA on Tuesday and here's who they had GB taking at #12 (add a grain of salt, because they are mocks)

TJ Hockenson
Rashon Gary
Devin White (2)
Marquise Brown

Now.....................I'd take any one of those first 3 at #12. (not sure the rationale for the Brown pick?)

So, it's not that far fetched to think that Hockenson could be and should be in play at #12.  hatsoff)