July 16, 2019, 10:08:51 PM

Author Topic: Dance of the lemmings  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
Re: Dance of the lemmings
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 08:58:50 PM »
I beg to disagree.

There is no way you are going to tell me that a QB scout thought that Christian Ponder was worth being taken in the top half of the first round. 

I mean he could not even split the uprights from his knees at the fifty yard line like Boller.  Remember that stunt.  So I guess if you ever need someone to try to do that in a game, Boller was your guy.    But they took him in the first round after that stupid stunt.  :P :P

You would think that after decades of this kind of pressurized failure, teams would learn.  But they don't.  They all want John Unitas.. But they forget: Unitas was drafted in the ninth round, cut by the Steelers, and was playing sandlot ball when the Colts called him in for a tryout.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 12:28:24 PM »
I beg to disagree.

There is no way you are going to tell me that a QB scout thought that Christian Ponder was worth being taken in the top half of the first round. 

I mean he could not even split the uprights from his knees at the fifty yard line like Boller.  Remember that stunt.  So I guess if you ever need someone to try to do that in a game, Boller was your guy.    But they took him in the first round after that stupid stunt.  :P :P

You would think that after decades of this kind of pressurized failure, teams would learn.  But they don't.  They all want John Unitas.. But they forget: Unitas was drafted in the ninth round, cut by the Steelers, and was playing sandlot ball when the Colts called him in for a tryout.

Actually, that was addressed in the comments about Manziel, Boller and Quinn. None of these guys were accurate, yet were first round choices. Why couldn't professional scouts see what casual fans were able to see? The answer has also been addressed: sometimes an owner simply falls in love with a prospect, and that ends all discussion. So, it really does just take "one guy", especially if that guy owns the team.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 12:55:28 PM »
The revisionist historians are 100% correct every time without fail. They even knew in advance that injuries would derails some careers like Teddy Bridgewater, Robert Griffin, Sam Bradford and Chad Pennington.   

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 03:02:43 PM »
The revisionist historians are 100% correct every time without fail. They even knew in advance that injuries would derails some careers like Teddy Bridgewater, Robert Griffin, Sam Bradford and Chad Pennington.   

Actually, there were those who thought that Griffin's running style would get him in trouble. The same warnings are being given about the playing style of Lamar Jackson. But Bridgewater? That was a total fluke. Dropping back to throw a pass in practice (I believe), and tore up his knee. No contact, something he'd done thousands of times. However, if a QB is not accurate in college, why would anyone think he'd become more accurate as a pro?

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 03:11:25 PM »
http://archive.jsonline.com/Services/include.ashx?domain=www.jsonline.com&file=203116571.html

Opinions are like you-know-what holes.

Everyone has one

Including yours truly
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 03:13:17 PM by dannobanano »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 04:31:51 PM »
http://archive.jsonline.com/Services/include.ashx?domain=www.jsonline.com&file=203116571.html

Everyone has one

Including yours truly

Your link went to a dead end. Which is usually what happens when two people with differing opinions try to persuade the other. So, point taken.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 07:55:36 PM »
I beg to disagree.

Oh the Ponder saga. One of my friends is a die hard FSU fan. He can quote stats from years before he was alive. It's crazy. He had this super love affair with Ponder. I told him I couldn't see anything in that kid. Inaccurate, weak arm, nothing special at all. I actually was happy when the Vikes took him so high. It wasted a pick, and ensured we would dominate them during his tenure.

For being casual fans, lots of us can see the issues with these guys that professionals refuse to see.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2019, 06:34:08 AM »

Everyone has one

Including yours truly

Your link went to a dead end. Which is usually what happens when two people with differing opinions try to persuade the other. So, point taken.

I see that! Probably cuz it’s an archived link.

If you want to read it, google “Aaron Rodgers nfl draft profile” and look for the link that starts with “April 23, 2005”

It’s comical to read about how nfl scouts and personnel people can be soooo wrong about players evaluations.