February 16, 2019, 05:40:47 PM

Author Topic: Graham to return  (Read 889 times)

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
Graham to return
« on: January 29, 2019, 02:40:10 PM »
Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
 3h3 hours ago
More
A non-Super Bowl tidbit: When the #Packers prepare for the offseason, they do so with the belief that TE Jimmy Graham will be back for 2019, source said. He’s due a $5M roster bonus on 3/15, and the expectation now is they pay it and he returns. Another season with Aaron Rodgers.

Not happy with this in part because I have to redo my mock draft.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: Graham to return
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 05:28:42 PM »
waste of $5m and a roster position. This is the spot a young developing TE could take.

Of course this means Gunt has decided not to take a TE high, so it's Graham for another year. I feel certain this decision was based primarily on the draft board.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 05:40:34 PM »
I still expect a TE between the 3rd and 5th. It's a pretty decent TE draft and they can get a very decent receiving TE in the middle rounds

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 09:13:28 PM »
I still expect a TE between the 3rd and 5th. It's a pretty decent TE draft and they can get a very decent receiving TE in the middle rounds

Or maybe earlier. Graham could be a mentor for a rookie, teaching him how to succeed in the NFL on and off the field. Smooth the transition, and make it more likely the younger guy would succeed, rather than be overwhelmed. After all, any rookie wouldn't take up that much cap space, and Graham might just have been misused in MM's system.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 01:35:59 AM »
Why are we paying assistant coaches if the real work is being done by veterans?

Why would we pay a washed up guy who wasn't even a packer most of his career $11 million to do the job of a $250k assistant who is a professional at training rookies?
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline packlaw

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 03:31:32 AM »
Don't think it was for mentoring...I believe the new regime thinks MM didn't use Graham properly and if used properly would be more valuable than a rookie...it looks like the cap space will come from depleting the defensive side of the ball with the exception of Cobb from the offense.  They will draft a tight end in the first four rounds and possibly #30.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 05:29:21 AM »
If he had gotten open reliably, Aaron would have targeted him.

Players, not plays.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 06:58:03 AM »
The only way this plays out is that LaFleur somehow knows how to use Graham  better than MM did.

Graham was pretty mediocre last year I thought.  And some mock drafts had us taking a TE in the first round.

It would have been a pretty big dead money hit though.  So I see that logic.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 07:04:16 AM »
Did everyone forget he was on track to break packer TE records before he broke his thumb?  And MM did the same stupid thing as the Seahawks and lined up as a traditional TE blocker a lot of the time. His success always came as a flexed guy or wing type lineup in NO. If MLF uses him that way, I bet he will be productive again. He may not be as fast, but he find spots in zones and catches the ball. He essentially downgraded from his former self to Jason Witten with the loss of speed. And he can still win jump balls.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 07:39:01 AM »
Did everyone forget he was on track to break packer TE records before he broke his thumb?  And MM did the same stupid thing as the Seahawks and lined up as a traditional TE blocker a lot of the time. His success always came as a flexed guy or wing type lineup in NO. If MLF uses him that way, I bet he will be productive again. He may not be as fast, but he find spots in zones and catches the ball. He essentially downgraded from his former self to Jason Witten with the loss of speed. And he can still win jump balls.

I agree with this, it’s why we’re keeping him.
“What’s going on out there”

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 04:06:16 PM »
Why are we paying assistant coaches if the real work is being done by veterans?

Why would we pay a washed up guy who wasn't even a packer most of his career $11 million to do the job of a $250k assistant who is a professional at training rookies?

Well, perhaps the Packers believe that MCL can utilize JG better than MM, or at least INITIALLY believe he could be utilzed better. Besides, older players being brought in to mentor younger players is done all the time. Kurt Warner was supposed to help mold Carson Palmer, but instead became the starter and led the team to a SB. If Graham can be a reliable outlet for AR when he gives up looking for that chunk play, that'll be satisfactory.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 04:09:14 PM »

I agree with this, it’s why we’re keeping him.

Think of the TE's who are not particularly fast; they just find open spots in the defense and wait for the pass, then run for YAC. Jason Witten made a career out of this kind of thing. Besides, other teams have used TE's against the Packers in this manner for years. Perhaps its time to turn the tables, or learn from you opponents.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 02:59:04 AM »
Exactly. Graham had a down year due to many variable circumstances. He should see a bump in production this year. Maybe not all star level, but definitely a difference maker.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 02:18:00 PM »
When this contract was signed it was a given it was at least a 2 year deal by structure. He would to have had to of been a complete train wreck to void the deal after just 1 year.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 02:24:54 PM »
When this contract was signed it was a given it was at least a 2 year deal by structure. He would to have had to of been a complete train wreck to void the deal after just 1 year.

This  goodpost