February 16, 2019, 05:48:53 PM

Author Topic: Graham to return  (Read 890 times)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
Re: Graham to return
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 09:01:53 PM »
I think the question is:  Was he worth that much in the first place?

IMO, I still do not understand why we did not resign Cook.

And that is not hindsight.  I wanted to keep him back then.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 12:03:06 PM »
waste ... This is the spot a young developing TE could take.

Of course this means Gunt has decided not to take a TE high, so it's Graham for another year. I feel certain this decision was based primarily on the draft board.

If only we had a young developing TE!  Haven't since the long-since-retired Finley was young.  Have had piles of young TE's, but none have developed into anything.  I sincerely hope (but don't expect) Tonyan does emerge as the good young TE! 

High draft picks are so precious.  Using a 2nd-round pick on a young TE might be great.  But even then, it would be a 2nd-round pick not spent on an OL or DT or OLB or S or WR or CB or ILB or backup QB.  They've got so many needs and so few high draft picks....

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 12:29:41 PM »
waste ... This is the spot a young developing TE could take.

Of course this means Gunt has decided not to take a TE high, so it's Graham for another year. I feel certain this decision was based primarily on the draft board.

If only we had a young developing TE!  Haven't since the long-since-retired Finley was young.  Have had piles of young TE's, but none have developed into anything.  I sincerely hope (but don't expect) Tonyan does emerge as the good young TE! 

High draft picks are so precious.  Using a 2nd-round pick on a young TE might be great.  But even then, it would be a 2nd-round pick not spent on an OL or DT or OLB or S or WR or CB or ILB or backup QB.  They've got so many needs and so few high draft picks....

I don't think that the Packers roster is in as of dire need as I assume you are suggesting. They will add the best available talent in the draft and will be just fine in comparison to everyone else. At this moment in time fans want to declare that the whole roster sucks and needs an enema, but they have a solid foundation at most positions and the ones they don't should be easy enough fixes.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 09:13:58 AM »
The only way this plays out is that LaFleur somehow knows how to use Graham  better than MM did.

Graham was pretty mediocre last year I thought.  And some mock drafts had us taking a TE in the first round.

It would have been a pretty big dead money hit though.  So I see that logic.

Agree with the money issue, but committing to the run and committing to Jimmy Graham's blocking raises questions for me.  Jmo

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 11:49:53 AM »

Well, perhaps the Packers believe that MCL can utilize JG better than MM, or at least INITIALLY believe he could be utilzed better. Besides, older players being brought in to mentor younger players is done all the time. Kurt Warner was supposed to help mold Carson Palmer, but instead became the starter and led the team to a SB. If Graham can be a reliable outlet for AR when he gives up looking for that chunk play, that'll be satisfactory.

I believe you are referring to Matt Linheart that Warner was suppose to groom.  Palmer was already established as a franchise quarterback.

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 01:21:55 PM »
Why are we paying assistant coaches if the real work is being done by veterans?

Why would we pay a washed up guy who wasn't even a packer most of his career $11 million to do the job of a $250k assistant who is a professional at training rookies?

Well, perhaps the Packers believe that MCL can utilize JG better than MM, or at least INITIALLY believe he could be utilzed better. Besides, older players being brought in to mentor younger players is done all the time. Kurt Warner was supposed to help mold Carson Palmer, but instead became the starter and led the team to a SB. If Graham can be a reliable outlet for AR when he gives up looking for that chunk play, that'll be satisfactory.

Except for the fact that Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer were not on the Cardinals in the same year.

I think you were thinking about Kurt Warner and the highly successful USC QB and NFL bust Mat Leinart

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 01:24:46 PM »
Sorry Ricky, I didn't mean to pile on, I didn't see MO.Pack's message.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 01:36:34 PM »
Sorry Ricky, I didn't mean to pile on, I didn't see MO.Pack's message.

No problem! I felt it was the wrong guy when I typed it, but didn't bother looking up who the actual QB was. My fault, and thanks for the corrections.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid