February 16, 2019, 05:49:44 PM

Author Topic: GB and the WR position  (Read 518 times)

Offline #66

• HOF Member
GB and the WR position
« on: January 30, 2019, 03:46:08 PM »
I thought that it might be interesting to give the WR position it's own thread.  Many of us on this board have varying thoughts as to what GB currently has and also what they need.  I am of the belief that while it would be nice to upgrade the WR position that there are other positions of greater need and that the capital may be poorly spent at this position when EDGE, OL, and S are bigger holes - not to mention that other positions need to be upgraded as well.  Slot will surely be a position of greater emphasis in the MLF era and it was a weakness last year.  Personally, I think that the combination of Kumerow and EQ have the potential to fill this void.  I also like their target size and wing span.  EQ, especially, has a high ceiling and I am hesitant to bring in a veteran that may stunt his development as I have big hopes for him.  So much of the Slot position is about being in sync with the QB and Kumerow has shown this ability.  EQ should display it better in Year 2 than his rookie year.  I do not have faith in a FA doing so.  Therefore, unless a stud WR falls to GB, I would not take a WR super early AND I would not spend a lot on the FA market for a WR either.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
Re: GB and the WR position
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 03:02:37 AM »
I'll take MVS over EQ. And Kumerow should be our new slot.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 11:21:30 AM »
Agree with your post #66.

I was in favor of a FA slot WR earlier, but have been rethinking that lately.

From what I have read, it is thought that the passing game of the new offense that MLF will install will require multiple body types and skill sets.

Small quick slot WR
Big fast boundary WR
Big possession type WR
A #1 go to type WR (can do all things)

This is a passing personnel philosophy used/endorsed by MLF's mentors/influencers.

What may change in GB's situation, as you have aptly noted, is that Kumerow and ESB could be candidates to be significant contributors out of the slot.

Allison and Lazard fit the large possession type WR.

EVS is the boundary burner.

Tae is the #1 do it all guy, and hopefully Moore understudies behind him this year. Having watched college tape on Moore, his moves in and out of breaks, the things he does to create separation are eerily similar to what Tae does so well.

What they may still do is draft a small body type WR to give them an option at slot to take advantage of certain personnel packages that other teams may employ.
It would be nice if the draft pick could also be proficient in P/K returns.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 04:12:27 PM »
I think/hope that we can agree that Slot play needs to improve from last year AND that it will be a more important position in the MLF offense.  If the LA offense is any example, it slowed down this year when Kupp was injured. 

I think that Kumerow can be somewhat of an Edelman type that is just plain in sync with the QB on qick hitting and extremely precise routes.  I think that EQ can be that big target down and across the middle.  DA will get his snaps at Slot to keep the D a bit off balance.

I don't think that MVS will get many snaps in slot as I see him as a boundary/speed WR.

Allison was a clinician on the sidelines and was having a breakout year before his injury.

Danno - the DA/Moore comparison is so accurate all the way down to Moore having hands issues as a rookie.  Remember when posters here wanted DA cut???  It would be a dream scenario for Moore to progress anywhere near how DA has.

Furthermore, I think that JG is going to be used differently at TE this next year and I would not be surprised to see more targets going to RBs.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi