April 22, 2019, 06:58:55 AM

Author Topic: Free Agents with Ties to MLF.  (Read 475 times)

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
Free Agents with Ties to MLF.
« on: January 31, 2019, 08:34:26 PM »
Wasn't sure whether to put this here or the free against thread. Put it here because it is specifically titled Free Agents with ties to New Packers Coach Matt LaFleur.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/31/free-agents-with-ties-to-new-packers-coach-matt-lafleur/

Interesting names, Roger Saffold, Tevin Coleman, Tavon Austin.
Coleman is a real threat to go the distance any play, and Austin could be great with some consistency. Saffold is a stalwart. It leaves the draft for defense.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline footballdad

• Starter
Re: Free Agents with Ties to MLF.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 02:32:47 AM »
I agree with Coleman. He will probably command starter dollars. Don't have a clue at this point just what MLF plans to do with the offense. I'll use keeping Graham as an example. I was 100% sure that he would prefer more of an in-line TE. Maybe not. Maybe he did what he did in Tenn because that is what he had to work with. That means he is adaptable and will play to strengths rather than square peg/round hole it.
Coleman would be an exciting addition though.
Austin is a good player but I would rather see what our young WR core does with new coaching/offense.
Cannot see Saffold leaving LA, though he would be a good addition as well. Quinton Spain may be a possibility IF Gute was just blowing smoke about the guard position. If he was telling the truth, then the position probably will not be addressed at all.
Guess we will see dominos start to fall in a little over a month from now.
Some teams out there have so much cap space they can basically buy anyone they want. Coupled with the fact that GB does not have the same appeal as far as night life, etc goes, I would think we would have to over pay in some instances. Makes it a little harder to compete.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 06:02:39 AM »
I go 50/50 on Saffold staying in LA.

#1. He's 31. Is he the long term future for them?
#2. Even though they have $34M in cap space this year, they have a few guys, besides Saffold, they will want to keep (Suh?, Lamarcus Joyner, Troy Hill, Cory Littleton), but 2020 they have big contracts to consider (Brockers, Goff, Zuerlein, Peters, Sullivan, Higbee).

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 06:10:40 AM »
I'm cool with taking a run at Coleman. But it depends on what MLF wants at certain positions, as opposed to who he knows.

In Tenn MLF had to shift gears from what he wanted to do early in the season because he lost his "do it all" TE Delaine Walker for the season in Week 1.

There are several decent/affordable RB's in FA this year that could present an attractive option for GB. Plus I think they will add another RB in the draft.

MLF will put more emphasis on the run than MM did, no question. Because of that I could see him keeping 4 RB's plus Vitale at FB (or maybe bring in another FB as a draft pick/udfa for competition).

We could see 4 TE's as well, and that may mean keeping only 5 WR's.

Could be a very different mix of personnel groupings than what we are used to.