March 22, 2019, 04:57:24 AM

Author Topic: Another fanspeak pre combine mock draft  (Read 2556 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Another fanspeak pre combine mock draft
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 01:30:46 PM »
I don't know too much about Jaylon Ferguson other than the hype on Sirius NFL Network, but I did watch tape of him playing against an Upper level team, Mississippi St.  He didn't look very impressive lining up against the Miss St Right Tackle. Kind of a non factor, really, imo.  No push, no pressure, not much altering run plays, no sacks that I could remember.  Everybody has a bad game, and maybe that was it, but watching that game, I was unimpressed.

Was more impressed with Anthony Nelson from Iowa.  He did more to change the RB's direction, more QB pressures and looked like more hustle.  Looks like Nelson got off the ball faster, too.

BUT... watched Nelson against that same RT from Miss St.  Kinda stymied him.   Miss St Right Tackle name is Stewart Reese.  Only a soph!  Keep an eye on him

Ferguson has been dis-invited from the Combine. An altercation/fight with another student before he started college football. He was a model student/person all the way through college though. (NFL - Never Forgive a Laspe...in judgement)

Offline rock county

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2019, 08:21:41 PM »
Quote from: rock county on February 14, 2019, 07:07:01 PM
I don't know too much about Jaylon Ferguson other than the hype on Sirius NFL Network, but I did watch tape of him playing against an Upper level team, Mississippi St.  He didn't look very impressive lining up against the Miss St Right Tackle. Kind of a non factor, really, imo.  No push, no pressure, not much altering run plays, no sacks that I could remember.  Everybody has a bad game, and maybe that was it, but watching that game, I was unimpressed.

Was more impressed with Anthony Nelson from Iowa.  He did more to change the RB's direction, more QB pressures and looked like more hustle.  Looks like Nelson got off the ball faster, too.

BUT... watched Nelson against that same RT from Miss St.  Kinda stymied him.   Miss St Right Tackle name is Stewart Reese.  Only a soph!  Keep an eye on him

Ferguson has been dis-invited from the Combine. An altercation/fight with another student before he started college football. He was a model student/person all the way through college though. (NFL - Never Forgive a Laspe...in judgement)

I wouldn't hold that too much against him, Poor choice by an 18 yr old
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:22:40 PM by rock county »

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2019, 07:23:54 AM »
When I was a freshman in college....well lets just say I wasn't proud of my actions. So I look at these kids and realize they made mistakes. I think the key is if they realize that they made mistakes? Second, what has been their character through the 4 years while playing football?
Everyone has done stupid stuff, the question is did you continue to do stupid stuff?
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2019, 09:04:53 AM »
Rashan Gary is working out for the draft near my home. Let me tell you if he weighs 280 lbs, he's the thinnest 280#s I have ever seen. I mean this in a good way. The guy is totally buff. He even looks menacing when he walks. He's also well spoken. I hope that Green Bay takes him and makes him the heir apparent to Wilks.

I am starting to warm to the idea of Gary as the top target for the Packers, I think Pettine would maximize his talents by moving him around to take advantage of teams weaknesses. A flexible defender that could be used like Peppers was. 

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2019, 10:14:05 AM »
 Dexter Lawrence is starting to make a ton of sense to me. I know people will say you can get a NT later in the draft, but he is a dominant player. They talk about the Clemson players benefiting from the play of others, he's the main guy. Imagine a D-Line with Clark- Lawrence- Daniels, who will they double team? Talk about collapsing the pocket and getting pressure up the middle.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2019, 02:36:28 PM »
Rashan Gary is working out for the draft near my home. Let me tell you if he weighs 280 lbs, he's the thinnest 280#s I have ever seen. I mean this in a good way. The guy is totally buff. He even looks menacing when he walks. He's also well spoken. I hope that Green Bay takes him and makes him the heir apparent to Wilks.

I am starting to warm to the idea of Gary as the top target for the Packers, I think Pettine would maximize his talents by moving him around to take advantage of teams weaknesses. A flexible defender that could be used like Peppers was.

Gary would be a very solid pick. I don't think any of us would complain about that.

I'm in favor of an "impact-play maker" at #12. I don't care who, or what position, just make it a winner of a pick..............please!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2019, 07:56:46 AM »
Dexter Lawrence is starting to make a ton of sense to me. I know people will say you can get a NT later in the draft, but he is a dominant player. They talk about the Clemson players benefiting from the play of others, he's the main guy. Imagine a D-Line with Clark- Lawrence- Daniels, who will they double team? Talk about collapsing the pocket and getting pressure up the middle.

It is way to early to have strong opinions on players until we get some numbers on them. We have game highlights, but we really don't know what they are yet athletically. But as for Lawrence, IMO, I will be very surprised if he is a first round pick and will not be surprised if he is bypassed in the second round either. He was the third or fourth best DLineman on his college team and enters the draft with strike one on the NFL drug testing. Add in the total of 1.5 sacks from him last season, hardly a studly stat, I don't think that is going to equal to being drafted very high.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2019, 11:04:35 AM »
With Lawrence, what you get is a run stopper, a guy who can hold the point, even against double-teams. What you don't get is someone who can offer much pass rush.

since we already have a great NT in Clark and a decent (for a backup) guy in Lancaster, and maybe we even get Wilkerson back for 2019. I just don't see the need for Lawrence.

Now if you want to talk about DL who DO have pass rush, like R.Gary, Simmons (pre-ACL), Wilkins, Omenihu, Ferguson, that is another conversation.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2019, 11:16:12 AM »
 Yeah, Lawrence is a monster NT. Clark can be moved around and play anywhere on the line. That was my thinking, Clark getting less double teams and more opportunities to get after the QB. Not to mention run defense with both Clark and Lawrence. Not the only option, he may be there at 30, just pointing out something I haven't seen any posters mention yet.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2019, 12:32:15 PM »
Yeah, Lawrence is a monster NT. Clark can be moved around and play anywhere on the line. That was my thinking, Clark getting less double teams and more opportunities to get after the QB. Not to mention run defense with both Clark and Lawrence. Not the only option, he may be there at 30, just pointing out something I haven't seen any posters mention yet.

Good to keep an open mind to many different positional possibilities. Keep brainstorming, it is all good.

Offline Starr2Max

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2019, 07:48:00 PM »
I'll just add mine to the list.  I feel fortunate the way the draft fell.
12: EDGE BRIAN BURNS
30: TE TJ HOCKENSON
44: S TAYLOR RAPP
75: G CHRIS LINDSTROM
114: TE ISAAC NAUTA
118: WR DARIUS SLAYTON

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2019, 12:59:47 AM »
Another nice selection Starr2Max.

I would rather go a more FS route (Rapp's skills are clearly more suited to a SS), and though Burns is a very talented edge guy, his light weight is worrying - I'd like to see what he weighs at the combine and how he performs at the weight he comes in at. I had to look up WR Slayton, but he looks to be a very attractive choice at #118. I'd rather have TE Jace Sternberger than Nauta, but he could very likely be gone by this time, and you can't pick what isn't there.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2019, 09:43:02 AM »
Another nice selection Starr2Max.

I would rather go a more FS route (Rapp's skills are clearly more suited to a SS), and though Burns is a very talented edge guy, his light weight is worrying - I'd like to see what he weighs at the combine and how he performs at the weight he comes in at. I had to look up WR Slayton, but he looks to be a very attractive choice at #118. I'd rather have TE Jace Sternberger than Nauta, but he could very likely be gone by this time, and you can't pick what isn't there.

Agree with most all that. Would the Packers used the 12th overall pick on a player that would not be an every down player in Pettine's defense? If you are not a 3 down player than they need to play ST's, so they invest that pick for a situational pass rusher and ST's cover guy? Burns is very talented and it will be interesting to see what he weights at the combine, but if he comes in at 230 it is very unlikely the Packers would take him. IMO

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2019, 06:08:28 PM »
My latest. Used NFL Mock for both big board and needs. Difficult setting.

1a) Christian Wilkins - DL - Clemson
1b) Jaylon Fergusen - Edge - La Tech
2)  Chris Lindstrom - G - BC
3)  Nasir Adderly - FS - Delaware
4a) Max Scharping - OT - N Illinois
4b) Darryl Henderson - RB - Memphis
5)  Marvell Tell - SS - USC
6a) Shareef Miller - Edge - Penn State
6b) Issac Nauta - TE - Georgia
7)  Jordan Brown - CB - SDSU

Oh geez. I absolutely love this draft. Love getting a pretty good TE in the 6th round (that’s how deep the TE position is). Might choose the best available kicker in the 7th instead of the CB.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2019, 02:33:01 AM »
Brown will be drafted and be on a roster next year. Don't let the FCS thing fool you. The kid is kind of a diamond in the rough. He can play.