February 16, 2019, 05:18:58 PM

Author Topic: Another fanspeak pre combine mock draft  (Read 1255 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Another fanspeak pre combine mock draft
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 07:41:25 AM »
I used the Bleacher Report big board (30 Jan), user voted needs, and difficult setting to get:

1a   Edge Jachai Polite
1b   OT    Andre Dillard
2     FS    Juan Thornhill
3      G    Chris Lindstrom
4a    TE   Isaac Nauta
4b    RB   Mike Weber
5      LB   Te'von Coney

I felt pretty good about that combo, and I'd be a happy man if these were the picks. On a somewhat different tack, where in the draft would you most like an extra pick (and i don't mean pick #1) ?  For me, there is great value in the late second round. Usually, for me, it's an early 2nd, but this year it's late.

For now that looks like a pretty solid draft. As for the extra pick, you are way ahead of me in breaking down this draft if you already have the tiers figured out. I am game for extra picks anywhere they can get them for the most part, I see value to the very end.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 12:55:20 PM »
Just looking at the big boards out there RT. there are plenty of players in that region that i like, though different big boards vary plenty.  In the 56-70 region Drafttek has
Edge Oshane Ximenes
G  Chris Lindstrom
OT Jawaan Taylor
OT Yodny Cajuste
S  Jaquan Johnson
Edge Brian Burns
WR Deebo Samuels

While Bleacher Report (also 56-70) includes:
Edge Joe Jackson
OT Dalton Risner
S  Juan Thornhill
Edge Chase Winovich
Edge Zach Allen
S  Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
WR  Deebo Samuels
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 02:16:45 PM »
1265, I have started to look at most of the big boards and starting to get a basis to work off, but a lot is yet to be determined. I have not read anywhere yet on what the feeling is on the number of elite prospects their are in this years draft, have you? If I remember last year correctly, I believe most people felt the number was six before the next grouping for 2018. Maybe after the combine we will start hearing more tiering information along those lines.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 04:22:38 PM »
At this time (and I expect it to change) I'd go something like this, for tiers in round one.

Tier 1)  three players, Edge Joey Bosa, DL Quinnen Williams and Edge Josh Allen.
Tier 2)  three players, Edge Clelin Ferrell, CB Greedy Williams, DL Ed Oliver
Tier 3)  eleven players, DL Jeffery Simmons, DL Rashan Gary, QB Dwayne Haskins, CB Byron Murphy, LB Devin White, Edge Montez Sweat, Edge Jachai Polite, OT Jonah Williams, CB Trayvon Mullen, LB Devin Bush, WR D.K.Metcalf.
Tier 4) fifteen players, OT Greg Little, Edge Zach Allen, DL Jerry Tillery, QB Dan Jones, G Cody Ford, OT Andre Dillard, S Deionte Thompson, CB Deandre Baker, WR A.J.Brown, TE Noah Fant, TE T.J.Hockenson, TE Irv Smith, Edge Jaylon Ferguson, Edge Brian Burns, OT Yodny Cajuste.

Total = 32 players. You might feel tempted to shove tier 1 and 2 together, as each of the first two tiers is small, but I think there is a talent drop from tier 1 to 2 and from tier 2 to 3. Some would put the players in other tiers (for example, some might consider it a travesty that QB Lock isn't in there yet), but this seems about right for now. If the draft went according to my tiers, GB would have a choice from the remaining five players left in my tier 3, assuming they pick at #12. Sad not to see a RB in round one........though Bleacher Report has Alabama RB Josh Jacobs as 6th overall (while GBN has him at #57 and Drafttek at #35).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 04:43:08 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 01:20:43 AM »
PS DT Christian Wilkins shouild probably be included in tier 3 or 4.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 01:21:19 AM by OneTwoSixFive »

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 07:18:39 AM »
PS DT Christian Wilkins shouild probably be included in tier 3 or 4.
1265, Wilkins to me would be a hard guy to pass on. I really like him and think he was the player most responsible for all the other Clemson guys having great careers. Double teams all the time and just a massive body of muscle.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:19:33 AM by Hands »
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 08:11:14 AM »
Q Williams will be gone and Simmons would be off my draft board.   If the Pack thought it best to grab a DL than I'm completely game for Wilkins - well ahead of Oliver imo  and a great player to pair with Clark.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 10:30:45 AM »
Oliver has some serious quickness.....that being said, not sure if it will translate to the pro game like it did for Donald.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 02:37:39 AM »
My latest. Used NFL Mock for both big board and needs. Difficult setting.

1a) Christian Wilkins - DL - Clemson
1b) Jaylon Fergusen - Edge - La Tech
2)  Chris Lindstrom - G - BC
3)  Nasir Adderly - FS - Delaware
4a) Max Scharping - OT - N Illinois
4b) Darryl Henderson - RB - Memphis
5)  Marvell Tell - SS - USC
6a) Shareef Miller - Edge - Penn State
6b) Issac Nauta - TE - Georgia
7)  Jordan Brown - CB - SDSU

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 06:24:04 AM »
My latest. Used NFL Mock for both big board and needs. Difficult setting.

1a) Christian Wilkins - DL - Clemson
1b) Jaylon Fergusen - Edge - La Tech
2)  Chris Lindstrom - G - BC
3)  Nasir Adderly - FS - Delaware
4a) Max Scharping - OT - N Illinois
4b) Darryl Henderson - RB - Memphis
5)  Marvell Tell - SS - USC
6a) Shareef Miller - Edge - Penn State
6b) Issac Nauta - TE - Georgia
7)  Jordan Brown - CB - SDSU

Another very nice group. I lean to another bigger RB like Benny Snell Jr if he should slip to the 4th, Dexter Williams or Ryquell Armstead who both played well at the Senior Bowl, maybe even Devine Ozigbo as a late value hammer. But that is a 51/49 type of thing to me, would be perfectly happy if they took Henderson. Nice job.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 12:07:53 PM »
RT. If you like bigger backs, then how about Elijah Holyfield.
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/10/elijah-holyfield-is-the-real-deal/

He has a very powerful physique and has the mentality to initiate contact and punish. There is a wide variation on where he goes but in the mid-rounds he looks like a good option.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 12:28:06 PM »
Rashan Gary is working out for the draft near my home. Let me tell you if he weighs 280 lbs, he's the thinnest 280#s I have ever seen. I mean this in a good way. The guy is totally buff. He even looks menacing when he walks. He's also well spoken. I hope that Green Bay takes him and makes him the heir apparent to Wilks. 

Offline rock county

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2019, 07:07:01 PM »
I don't know too much about Jaylon Ferguson other than the hype on Sirius NFL Network, but I did watch tape of him playing against an Upper level team, Mississippi St.  He didn't look very impressive lining up against the Miss St Right Tackle. Kind of a non factor, really, imo.  No push, no pressure, not much altering run plays, no sacks that I could remember.  Everybody has a bad game, and maybe that was it, but watching that game, I was unimpressed.

Was more impressed with Anthony Nelson from Iowa.  He did more to change the RB's direction, more QB pressures and looked like more hustle.  Looks like Nelson got off the ball faster, too.

BUT... watched Nelson against that same RT from Miss St.  Kinda stymied him.   Miss St Right Tackle name is Stewart Reese.  Only a soph!  Keep an eye on him
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 07:40:01 PM by rock county »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 08:42:01 AM »
RT. If you like bigger backs, then how about Elijah Holyfield.
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/10/elijah-holyfield-is-the-real-deal/

He has a very powerful physique and has the mentality to initiate contact and punish. There is a wide variation on where he goes but in the mid-rounds he looks like a good option.

Agree that Holyfield could be another option for them. Their seems to be a fair amount of middle rounds depth at the RB position. Don't believe it is a position of need for the Packers, but do feel like at some point the value will be too good to pass up and the Packers will add one on the 3rd day.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 01:24:46 PM »
Holyfield is listed as 5-11/215#'s. If your looking for a back in the range of that size, here's a list of mid-round RB's that fall into that range.

3rd-5th rounds
Wes Hills/Slippery Rock; 6-2/218; 7.0 yds/carry
Zack Moss/Utah; 5-10/215; 6.1 yds/carry
LJ Scott/Mich St; 6-0/225; (2018-injured) 3.3 yds/carry; (2017) 4.5 yds/carry
Dexter Williams/Notre Dame; 5-11/215; 6.3 yds/carry
Jordan Scarlett/Florida; 5-10/213; 5.9 yds/carry
David Montgomery/ISU; 5-11/219; 4.7 ys/carry
Rodney Anderson/OU; 6-1/219; (2018-injured) 11 carries-119 yds-2 TD's; (2017) 5.9 yds/carry

These RB's are all comparable to Holyfield and rank (WalterFootball) near where Holyfield ranks.