July 16, 2019, 09:19:53 PM

Author Topic: SB Thoughts  (Read 1529 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
SB Thoughts
« on: February 03, 2019, 05:54:27 PM »
Tony Romo is saying what I've been thinking- it would only take one play by the Rams to win the game. Think of Pats v Miami earlier this season. A long return of a punt. a pick six, a broken covdrage. One play.

Rams just scored. Now, late game fireworks on the way. Or maybe not. No flags for much of the game, and suddenly the laundry is being aired regularly.

The Pats just scored a TD. Expect the Rams to do the same. And go for two?

Pats intercept. But over four minutes left, so this game is far from over.

They've lined up to kick the FG, I'd have gone for it. Oh well, wrong again. The kick was good. Barely, but inside the posts, which is all that matters. Apparently another nailbiter win for NE. Expect them to be in the running next year. The Rams? No Gurley, no offense. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 07:03:16 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
Re: SB Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 07:18:02 PM »
Overall, including the halftime show, pretty much sucked. thumbsdwn)
“What’s going on out there”

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 07:47:45 PM »
Overall, including the halftime show, pretty much sucked. thumbsdwn)

Even the ads were lame. But not as lame as the Rams offense, which was truly offensive. McVay laid a huge egg on the game's biggest stage. So, when Goff's contract comes due, do they give him a "real QB contract" or try to get him at a reasonable rate? For a QB, that is. Because that would be three huge contracts: Donald, Gurley and Goff. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 09:22:04 PM »
Maybe we can rent Gurley for a year. He wasnt injured, and seemed unenthusiastic about his usage in the biggest game of the year. He may want out after that.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 10:25:57 PM »
This is the new offensive wizard of the NFL, who everyone is trying to model their new HC on, including the Packers?

He looked utterly lame and he left is QB out to dry.  He could not even figure out what the Pats were doing after halftime, which lasts about  40 minutes.

When the defense is playing the two high safety technique, what you do is the wheel route out of the backfield to the strong side.  And when you have someone like Gurley, there is not a LB who can stay with him.  The other thing you can do is the classic screen pass.  Or even better the delay screen over the middle. 

I mean that pass where Goff threw it up at the end, McVay had him rolling out right into the pressure package.

Wade Phillips held the GOAT quarterback to 13 points.  That should have been enough to win.  But McVay's offense was not even close to the Martz/Warner Greatest Show on Turf.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 11:13:25 PM by Gregg »

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 10:49:26 PM »
This is the new offensive wizard of the NFL, who everyone is trying to model their new HC on, including the Packers?

He looked utterly lame and he left is QB out to dry.  He could not even figure out what the Pats were doing after halftime, which lasts about a 40 minutes.

When the defense is playing the two high safety technique, what you do is the wheel route out of the backfield to the strong side.  And when you have someone like Gurley, there is not a LB who can stay with him.  The other thing you can do is the classic screen pass.  Or even better the delay screen over the middle. 

I mean that pass where Goff threw it up at the end, McVay had him rolling out right into the pressure package.

Wade Phillips held the GOAT quarterback to 13 points.  That should have been enough to win.  But McVay's offense was not even close to the Martz/Warner Greatest Show on Turf.

Suddenly, everyone who hired the McVey train carts are sweating lol
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 12:10:55 AM »

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 07:23:54 AM »
This is what this game was about.

The Rams' punter, Hekker, had nine touches.

Todd Gurley, probably the best RB in the NFL, only had two more.

Now, could you imagine that happening with Mike Martz and Marshall Faulk?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 07:31:59 AM »
Rick Gosselin

@RickGosselin9
Follow
Follow @RickGosselin9

More
The Rams were the 11 highest scoring team in NFL history. None of the 11 highest-scoring teams in history ever won a championship.

Defense. Still. Wins. Championships.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 07:46:13 AM »
Who holds the opponents to 13 points and loses?

It was not the defense that lost that game.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 08:43:53 AM »
Lowest rated Super Bowl in a decade. Fitting end to this season.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 08:45:13 AM »
I love that every year fans make sweeping maxims about a coach, player, team after the results of one game.    it will happen immediately after the start of free agency and immediately after the draft as well

Every year I hear that the winning team is the only team that has their "stuff" figured out.  The rest need to restart, retool and model their franchise off of the SB winner as the only way to do it.   McVay is now suddenly a bum?,  defense always wins? -  ignoring the fact that if Dee Ford lines up 1 foot back KC and their porous D is the AFC rep and not NE.  ...It was a strong defensive 37-31 win though.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 09:24:23 AM »
I thought the Rams D would slowdown and maybe stop the Patriots offense. They did, but I didn't expect the Rams oline to get their butts kicked or their QB to go into a coma for the game. I wondered why the Rams didn't at least try to run for some of those 3rd and 2 or 3? Also saw some penalties not called that should have and vice versa. Overall, a boring game, but had some good hits.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 09:53:34 AM »
I agree about the penalties.

I thought the Pats could have been called for PI about five times.

I also agree about the running for short yardage for the Rams also.

But man, nine punts by what is supposed to be the offense everyone wants to run?

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 10:02:21 AM »
I agree about the penalties.

I thought the Pats could have been called for PI about five times.

I also agree about the running for short yardage for the Rams also.

But man, nine punts by what is supposed to be the offense everyone wants to run?

They also have Goff. One of those over-hyped barely average QBs that teams reach way too high for. I think if they had a better than average slinger, they would have won.