July 16, 2019, 09:20:20 PM

Author Topic: SB Thoughts  (Read 1530 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: SB Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 11:02:00 AM »
The gray headed seniors beat the fair haired children like a red headed step child.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 12:26:57 PM »
You may not like him, but BB is a defensive minded HC that will work with his DC to put together a game plan that takes away the strengths of opposing teams.

And then he makes sure that all his players buy in to the "Do Your Job" theme.

It wasn't as much a McVay meltdown, as it was BB's coaching experience and accumen.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2019, 12:40:39 PM »
McVay said that the Pats switched up their defense to the point it confused him. 

Sometimes they put six guys on the line to stop the run. 

Question:  Why not talk to your QB at the end of the first quarter, and say:  "When you see six guys on the line, or near the line, audible out of a run play.  Go to play action, and hit the quick slant behind the linebacker."

What is so hard about that?  Favre made a career doing it.

The other thing the Pats did was to call one defense and then switch into another.  I thought what you did there was to send a man in motion to see if they are playing zone or man.  If they are playing man you go for the worst CB.  If they are playing zone, you go for the segment of the field that is most distant from the safety. 

I mean these are rules that I did not figure out.   Sid Gillman did fifty years ago.

McVay never read any books about Gillman?  This is the wiz kid?

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 01:12:38 PM »
The other thing is you rally have to wonder if the result would have been different had it been the Saints.

With them you have a much more experienced coach, and a much more experienced QB.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 01:45:13 PM »
McVay had almost 40 minutes during halftime to clean up any problems, make adjustments, and instill a sense of urgency and belief into his players. He did none of the above. Though it was also a matter of the Rams missing two scoring opportunities to WR's in the endzone. Either player makes a catch, and its a new game. Similar to when the Packers were dominating the Rams in LA, until the safety on that horrible end zone call by MM. That allowed the Rams back into that game. NE didn't give the Rams any "gimme's" .

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 05:58:28 PM »
Which plays are you talking about Ricky that the Rams missed?

Can you link to them?

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 09:24:21 PM »

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 11:35:24 PM »
Thanks for that.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 02:43:52 AM »
The other thing is you rally have to wonder if the result would have been different had it been the Saints.

With them you have a much more experienced coach, and a much more experienced QB.

The saints likely would have won. I'm not saying you need an all start at QB, but when you hold the Pat's to 13 points. Someone as crappy as Trent Dilfer should garner the victory. So if you calculate Brees with Peyton..... the Saints win this game easy. It was a pathetic SB due to the seasons, playoffs and officiating leading up to it.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2019, 02:47:56 AM »
You may not like him, but BB is a defensive minded HC that will work with his DC to put together a game plan that takes away the strengths of opposing teams.

It wasn't as much a McVay meltdown, as it was BB's coaching experience and accumen.

Alert the media!!!! Myself, the late great Golfman, and other have stated BB is the ultimate coach for years. He attacks your weakness on offense and defense..... and wins with a simple philosophy of "do your job." Yet, we all got called fake fans and many names...... told to be Patriots fans since we liked it so much...... and now, here are the fans, media, and PC posters all suddenly coming around...... does this mean everyone is fake fans and should just switch to being Patriots fans?
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2019, 05:04:48 AM »

Alert the media!!!! Myself, the late great Golfman, and other have stated BB is the ultimate coach for years. He attacks your weakness on offense and defense..... and wins with a simple philosophy of "do your job." Yet, we all got called fake fans and many names...... told to be Patriots fans since we liked it so much...... and now, here are the fans, media, and PC posters all suddenly coming around...... does this mean everyone is fake fans and should just switch to being Patriots fans?

Kids, this is Shineman. This is Shineman posting while using drugs.

Don't be like Shineman!

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2019, 06:16:17 AM »
Funny RT, the parts of the game I watched....I saw the Ram's oline losing their one-on-one against the Patriot's dline. I'm sure the Rams have seen zone and press coverage in the same game, but if you pressure the QB enough...he can't see anything but panic. Hence Goff just wasn't able to get-er-done.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 08:01:46 AM »
Rams was exposed as a team that had trouble adjusting...

OL has trouble with stunts mixed with different alignments from start. Pats showed one front then switched out and ran stunts from a different look.

QB has trouble reading coverages after 15 sec...why? because that is when the playcallers mic is turned off and the QB has to figure coverages out on his own.

Saints win? depends upon what D the Pats use..because it sure as hell isn't what was used vs the Rams...

One thing that wasn't brought up much was how long these Coaches have been with Bilicheat….17-19 yrs

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2019, 10:59:53 AM »

Kids, this is Shineman. This is Shineman posting while using drugs.

Don't be like Shineman!

Says someone who was doing the name calling during those times.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2019, 11:48:03 AM »
Read today that the Pats studied the Bears game where the Rams were held to six points.

Good game to study.