March 22, 2019, 04:57:54 AM

Author Topic: Our biggest need on draft day  (Read 1354 times)

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
Re: Our biggest need on draft day
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 06:06:23 PM »
White, Ferrell, Allen (Would require a move up) 1A not there trade back someone behinds us wants a qB real bad like Washington, it qll cost them 15 AND THEIR 3RD RD PICK.

Tillery, Ferguson, Ford, Sweat, - 1b

Rd 2 - Georgia LB Deandre Walker,  Abrams S Miss State

Other than Ford, I would wait on offense til rd 3-5.  I like Big ten OL like McGovern from Penn State or Jordan from Ohio State.

Team has focused on DBS last four drafts, problem is we keep passing on the most glaring need LB.  Our roster is full of 3rd string lbs!!! 

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 06:37:39 AM »
OLB/Preston Smith (WASH) might be a very worthy FA risk since he was coached by new LB's coach Olivadotti for his entire pro career (so far).

They would have a better idea on what they are getting than a team would with most FA's.

Yeah I would also place Zadarius Smith in this category of edge rushers worth targeting in free agency for the packers, not because of any coaching familiarity, but because (unlike some of the bigger names) he will probably not be franchised by his current team, and he might actually be somewhat affordable. Clowney, Ford, Lawrence, etc, will probably all be franchised and taken off the market.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2019, 08:38:16 AM »
OLB/Preston Smith (WASH) might be a very worthy FA risk since he was coached by new LB's coach Olivadotti for his entire pro career (so far).

They would have a better idea on what they are getting than a team would with most FA's.

Yeah I would also place Zadarius Smith in this category of edge rushers worth targeting in free agency for the packers, not because of any coaching familiarity, but because (unlike some of the bigger names) he will probably not be franchised by his current team, and he might actually be somewhat affordable. Clowney, Ford, Lawrence, etc, will probably all be franchised and taken off the market.

Ford already franchised, but agree with you on Smith as a name to keep in mind!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2019, 08:42:02 AM »
Packers biggest need on draft day.......................................find absolute "PLAYMAKER'S" with the #12 and #30 picks.

Make those 2 picks count and we've had a successful draft....................I don't really care which position at the current moment because FA has happened yet.

By early April, I think we will be able to pare down the list of "positions of need" for those first 2 picks significantly.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2019, 08:50:36 AM »
Quick note on Ford and him being tagged. This is just the Chiefs playing games and trying to get a draft pick for him. They are moving to a 4-3 this year and many feel he will not be a good fit in their new scheme. I would not, but does a team give up a draft choice AND pay him a blockbuster deal on top of that? I wouldn't pay him period, he was basically considered a bust until his contract year. Smells like the Perry deal all over again. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 09:00:00 AM »
Quick note on Ford and him being tagged. This is just the Chiefs playing games and trying to get a draft pick for him. They are moving to a 4-3 this year and many feel he will not be a good fit in their new scheme. I would not, but does a team give up a draft choice AND pay him a blockbuster deal on top of that? I wouldn't pay him period, he was basically considered a bust until his contract year. Smells like the Perry deal all over again.

I don't think GB would have any serious interest in him anyway.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 02:39:27 AM »
Packers biggest need on draft day.......................................find absolute "PLAYMAKER'S" with the #12 and #30 picks.

Make those 2 picks count and we've had a successful draft....................I don't really care which position at the current moment because FA has happened yet.

By early April, I think we will be able to pare down the list of "positions of need" for those first 2 picks significantly.

DB - Could not agree more.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 08:35:21 AM »
It seems that Pettine will look at adding FA Edge rushers. If you combine that statement with he wants run stoppers on that edge....I would think the logical contenders would be Preston and Zdarious Smith. Big run stoppers that can also reach the QB.
So picks 12, and 30 should be play-makers as dannobanano/Footballdad states. Could be safeties/TEs/OTs/ILBs. I could see the Packers taking Banogu or Winovich in latter rounds as their first edge guys. I don't see WR taken with the first 2 picks, but maybe a TE and or Jacobs the RB from Alabama. So lots of possibilities! Let's see what happens in FA and then the real needs.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 02:11:06 PM »
It seems that Pettine will look at adding FA Edge rushers. If you combine that statement with he wants run stoppers on that edge....I would think the logical contenders would be Preston and Zdarious Smith. Big run stoppers that can also reach the QB.
So picks 12, and 30 should be play-makers as dannobanano/Footballdad states. Could be safeties/TEs/OTs/ILBs. I could see the Packers taking Banogu or Winovich in latter rounds as their first edge guys. I don't see WR taken with the first 2 picks, but maybe a TE and or Jacobs the RB from Alabama. So lots of possibilities! Let's see what happens in FA and then the real needs.

I'm still thinking that Pettine might be comfortable getting DL with some pass rush at #12. Rashan Gary or Ed Oliver or Christian Wilkins could be equally likely as their pick, compared to Brian Burns, Montez Sweat or Clelin Ferrell.

As for non-first round edge guys, I'd add the names of Charles Omenihu and Christian Miller.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"