February 16, 2019, 06:26:17 PM

Author Topic: Who's under contract  (Read 535 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Who's under contract
« on: February 06, 2019, 08:32:16 AM »
This is the foundation for Gute to start building his 90 man roster for training camp.

QB - Aaron Rodgers, Tim Boyle, DeShone Kizer

RB - Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kapri Bibbs, Tra Carson, Lavon Coleman, Malcolm Johnson

FB - Danny Vitale

WR - Davante Adams, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown, J'Mon Moore, Trevor Davis, Geronimo Allison (RFA), Jake Kumerow (ERFA), Allen Lazard, Teo Redding

TE - Jimmy Graham, Robert Tonyan (ERFA), Evan Baylis

OL - David Bakhtiari, Bryan Bulaga, Jason Spriggs, Alex Light, Corey Linsley, Lane Taylor, Cole Madison, Justin McCray (ERFA), Lucas Patrick (ERFA), Adam Pankey (ERFA), Nico Siragusa, Gerhard de Beer, Anthony Coyle

DL- Kenny Clark, Mike Daniels, Montravius Adams, Dean Lowry, Tyler Lancaster, James Looney, Deon Simon, Eric Cotton, Fadol Brown (ERFA)

EDGE - Nick Perry, Kyler Fackrell, Kendall Donnerson, Reggie Gilbert (ERFA), Brady Shelton

ILB - Blake Martinez, Oren Burks, Antonio Morrison, James Crawford

CB - Jaire Alexander, Kevin King, Josh Jackson, Tony Brown, Will Redmond, Tramon Williams, Natrell Jamerson

S - Josh Jones, Kentrell Brice (RFA), Raven Greene, Tray Matthews, Jason Thompson

K - Mason Crosby

P - JK Scott

LS - Hunter Bradley

The Packers at this moment have 59 players under contract and another 9 controled with RFA and ERFA rights. Making 68 with room for 22 to players to be added in free agency, draft and UDFA's without the release of current contracts.

I like to do this exercise because it highlights where we will see activity in player additions. The Packers will go to training camp with a set number of players at each position and by looking at the under contracts it exposes the holes to be filled.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Who's under contract
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 11:54:46 AM »
For a point of reference these are the totals by position of the 90 man roster at the start of training camp in 2018.

QB-4 , RB/FB-7 , WR-11 , TE-6 , OL-16 , DL-9 , EDGE-8 , ILB-8 , DB-17 , ST-4

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 03:23:30 PM »
This is the foundation for Gute to start building his 90 man roster for training camp.

QB - Aaron Rodgers, Tim Boyle, DeShone Kizer (add a draft pick?)

RB - Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kapri Bibbs, Tra Carson, Lavon Coleman, Malcolm Johnson (add a FA and a draft pick?)

FB - Danny Vitale (add a draft pick?)

WR - Davante Adams, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown, J'Mon Moore, Trevor Davis, Geronimo Allison (RFA), Jake Kumerow (ERFA), Allen Lazard, Teo Redding (add anything?)

TE - Jimmy Graham, Robert Tonyan (ERFA), Evan Baylis (add a draft pick and FA?)

OL - David Bakhtiari, Bryan Bulaga, Jason Spriggs, Alex Light, Corey Linsley, Lane Taylor, Cole Madison, Justin McCray (ERFA), Lucas Patrick (ERFA), Adam Pankey (ERFA), Nico Siragusa, Gerhard de Beer, Anthony Coyle (Add draft picks? FA?)

DL- Kenny Clark, Mike Daniels, Montravius Adams, Dean Lowry, Tyler Lancaster, James Looney, Deon Simon, Eric Cotton, Fadol Brown (ERFA) (add a draft pick)

EDGE - Nick Perry, Kyler Fackrell, Kendall Donnerson, Reggie Gilbert (ERFA), Brady Shelton (mulitple draft picks? FA?)

ILB - Blake Martinez, Oren Burks, Antonio Morrison, James Crawford (FA? Draft pick?)

CB - Jaire Alexander, Kevin King, Josh Jackson, Tony Brown, Will Redmond, Tramon Williams, Natrell Jamerson (draft pick? FA?)

S - Josh Jones, Kentrell Brice (RFA), Raven Greene, Tray Matthews, Jason Thompson (FA? draft pick?)

K - Mason Crosby (any one?)

P - JK Scott (anyone?)

LS - Hunter Bradley (udfa?)

The Packers at this moment have 59 players under contract and another 9 controled with RFA and ERFA rights. Making 68 with room for 22 to players to be added in free agency, draft and UDFA's without the release of current contracts.

I like to do this exercise because it highlights where we will see activity in player additions. The Packers will go to training camp with a set number of players at each position and by looking at the under contracts it exposes the holes to be filled.

Appreciate the work RT.

I'll just add that holes exist almost everywhere on this team. Even at position groups that look to be well stocked with players.

Why do I say that?

If a player (especially in the draft) unexpectedly is still on the board that GB would think should have been drafted much earlier, you still take that player if, in Gute's mind, it is believed he is better than some of the other players you already have on the roster in that position group.

Taking inventory is a good thing, as long as it's kept in mind that all position groups can be improved through FA, the draft, and UDFA's.

Also, I was suprised to read today that 4 Packers players are going to get a substantial bump in salary this next year due to an escalator clause in the CBA.
Kyler Fackrell, Blake Martinez, Dean Lowry, and Antonio Morrison will all have to be paid >$2M this next season (provided they make the team). This represents substantial increase in pay for this group. How will that affect FA/draft strategy? Interesting that it's all defensive players too. If they all make the team, it will mean GB will take an additional ~$6M hit against the cap.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/four-packers-players-will-more-than-double-their-salaries-in-2019-301

The reason I mention this is because, at least, Morrison may not make the team in 2019 if they add a FA and/or draft pick to the position group.

A new offensive system, tweeks to what MP wants to do on defense, Talent, and money will all factor into how all the position groups will look when the 2019 regular season starts. Just my  twocents), but I doubt we will see 7 WR's on the 53 man roster this year.

Offline packlaw

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 05:44:11 AM »
It is interesting to see the roster as composed and the need for additional players.  In reviewing the roster, one must look to quality and potential in addressing needs.  Ideally, the team needs players of above average ability to start.  A review of the roster under those guidelines is a must.
      Quarterback - above average... need experience backup
      Running Back/Fullback - above average backs (2)...need to draft one mid rounds
      Tight End - if lucky, Graham will be average...need high draft pick
      Wide Receiver - Adams above average, young receivers have potential...need slot, punt returner, later rounds
      Offensive Line - Above average, Bak and Lindsay...need FA for guard and draft high OT and C and G in later rounds
      Corner Backs - Above average...none; but Alexander, Jackson and King have huge potential, resign Brieland (sic)
      Inside Backer - Above average...Martinez, need cover linebacker...free agent or middle round draft
      Safety - none, Jones has potential...need top free agent and high draft...
In my humble opinion, the first four picks should be edge, safety, offensive tackle or guard and tight end...top priority in free agency an experienced safety, offensive guard and defensive lineman...

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 06:45:19 AM »
I think the biggest needs for the Packers are in order:
  • Safety (FS and SS)
    Edge/OLB (that can set the edge and rush the passer)
    TE (Pass catcher and blocker)
    Oline ( multiple needs)
    RB (that pounder that can catch passes)
    Slot Receiver (A young Cobb)
    ILB (run-stuffer that can cover)
    DE (pass rusher)
Green Bay may have players that can solve some of those holes, (just haven't seen it this year) but the draft will have to be very productive this year to get back into the playoffs.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 09:30:09 AM »
Good evaluation Hands.

IMO, its not a very impressive roster.  I would say, at face value its about average.

Which means we have to be aggressive in FA and have a good draft.  We have enough extra picks to realize a good draft.  Let us just hope we do it.

But if we do not do really well in either, then again, we have to rely on AR to work magic again. 

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 10:28:38 AM »
Gregg, if they don't do really well in acquiring talent.....Rodgers may be on IR by the third game.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 03:37:40 PM »
....I like to do this exercise because it highlights where we will see activity in player additions. The Packers will go to training camp with a set number of players at each position and by looking at the under contracts it exposes the holes to be filled.

Thanks, RT.  Yes, very helpful and useful. 

This isn't about primary targets in rounds 1+2 of draft.  It's more about about late round and UDFA targets to fill the back of the roster. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 03:35:41 PM »
I think the biggest needs for the Packers are in order:
  • Safety (FS and SS)
    Edge/OLB (that can set the edge and rush the passer)
    TE (Pass catcher and blocker)
    Oline ( multiple needs)
    RB (that pounder that can catch passes)
    Slot Receiver (A young Cobb)
    ILB (run-stuffer that can cover)
    DE (pass rusher)
Green Bay may have players that can solve some of those holes, (just haven't seen it this year) but the draft will have to be very productive this year to get back into the playoffs.

Look at the Patriots roster and tell me they are outstanding at every position. Rather vague at some spots ("Oline ( multiple needs), and otherwise you seem to want a player who is outstanding at every position. Nice to dream, but realistically, finding role players who can fit into a successful system is the key to longevity. And as far as Rodgers ending up on IR by the third game, he won't if he learns to get rid of the ball more quickly. Take that short gain rather than constantly looking for that big chunk. This hand wringing is unseemly. Do the Packers need some upgrades? Yes. But I reject "the sky is falling" scenario you are spinning.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid