February 16, 2019, 05:25:35 PM

Author Topic: RG111  (Read 700 times)

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
RG111
« on: February 07, 2019, 05:54:15 AM »
is head of Matt's fan club.  When Matt got hired he said the Packers got a great coach and a greater person.  He's a veteran FA who shouldn't cost a lot of money.  Should the Packers pursue him?  Don't have a lot of faith in Kizer.

As an aside Matt was coach at Notre Dame when Kizer was a red shirt freshman eons ago.  I don't see that as any kind of special relationship.  And besides the new staff has their hands full implementing an entirely new system- don't have the time to hold Kizer's hand.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: RG111
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 06:34:29 AM »
I thought they should have done that last year. RGIII still has some wheels and can throw the ball. So I would to see them trade Kizer and pick RG up.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 10:59:40 AM »
How about: Tebow Time!
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 07:03:38 AM »
is head of Matt's fan club.  When Matt got hired he said the Packers got a great coach and a greater person.  He's a veteran FA who shouldn't cost a lot of money.  Should the Packers pursue him?  Don't have a lot of faith in Kizer.

As an aside Matt was coach at Notre Dame when Kizer was a red shirt freshman eons ago.  I don't see that as any kind of special relationship.  And besides the new staff has their hands full implementing an entirely new system- don't have the time to hold Kizer's hand.

Fine idea. thumbsup)
“What’s going on out there”

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 08:59:04 AM »
I'd probably go with Kizer.  He's still a pup and has some upside.  New system might be good for him, but I do understand the concern for going in a different direction.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 09:39:00 AM »
A couple of things on this.

First is RG III himself, ask yourself why has he been with 3 different teams and each time the team does not want him back. His time in Washington and Cleveland were golden opportunities, yet he was shown the door both places. He should be the perfect backup in Baltimore for a young QB with a similar skillset, yet they don't want him back after one season. A little dot connecting telling you anything here?

Second is Gute's trading for Kizer. Their was a rumor during the draft that the Packers were going to take Kizer instead of King if they could of pulled off a trade of Hundley, which did not happen. It came from a good source, but I completely dismissed it at the time. But the next year Gute trades for him. TT is gone at that point, so it wasn't TT only who had a high opinion of Kizer. Could it be that Gute is the one who coveted Kizer coming out of college? Kizer is the new personnel decision makers handpicked QB to develop, he is not a TT leftover. A developmental QB would need to be a total disaster for the GM to move on from in that short of period of time. IMO

I have been wrong many times before, but my guess is that the QB position remains status quo until the draft. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 11:24:04 AM »

First is RG III himself, ask yourself why has he been with 3 different teams and each time the team does not want him back. His time in Washington and Cleveland were golden opportunities, yet he was shown the door both places. He should be the perfect backup in Baltimore for a young QB with a similar skillset, yet they don't want him back after one season. A little dot connecting telling you anything here?

Second is Gute's trading for Kizer. Their was a rumor during the draft that the Packers were going to take Kizer instead of King if they could of pulled off a trade of Hundley, which did not happen. It came from a good source, but I completely dismissed it at the time. But the next year Gute trades for him. TT is gone at that point, so it wasn't TT only who had a high opinion of Kizer. Could it be that Gute is the one who coveted Kizer coming out of college? Kizer is the new personnel decision makers handpicked QB to develop, he is not a TT leftover. A developmental QB would need to be a total disaster for the GM to move on from in that short of period of time. IMO

I have been wrong many times before, but my guess is that the QB position remains status quo until the draft.

Sound thinking on both points RT.

I'll just add a third.

Could it be possible that McCarthy was the one who wanted Kizer, and Gute accomodated him since MM had jettisoned several coaches to appease the "powers that be", and this was Gute's way (with Murphy's blessing) of calming the waters?

twocents)

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 02:17:38 PM »

I'll just add a third.

Could it be possible that McCarthy was the one who wanted Kizer, and Gute accomodated him since MM had jettisoned several coaches to appease the "powers that be", and this was Gute's way (with Murphy's blessing) of calming the waters?

twocents)

Not sure of motives behind it, but Im fairly sure Gute went looking for Kizer, and probably got an assist from Elliot Wolf when he got there.  Could be wrong but I dont think the Browns went looking for Randall to start the trade. Gute probably liked Kizer and Wolf likely knew it and worked on it with his boss in Cleveland.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:19:14 PM by The GM »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 09:14:33 AM »

I'll just add a third.

twocents)

Not saying you are wrong danno because I do believe that McCarty was impowered by Murphy, but just don't believe that McCarty would be using his bargaining chips for Kizer. Now if your case was about Jimmy Graham being signed, well that may well be a stronger case to be made. I still believe that McCarty's pipedream season was to win a SB and then ride of into the sunset. Don't believe he planned to coach after last season, still don't believe he will ever coach in the NFL again, don't think he cared who the backup QB was or about developing whoever it was for the future.   

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 09:24:21 AM »
Highly possible RT.

Graham may have been that "Big men in the middle of the field" wishful thinking comment that MM made back in 2016 (?).

I just remember the comments on the Packers being very interested in Kizer the year he was drafted, and tried to connect those dots. Maybe it was a TT thing about Kizer, or maybe it was an MM thing?

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 07:47:47 PM »
RT, good job of connecting the dots. Right or wrong...good response.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 06:13:09 AM »

Had not thought about it this way. You are correct.
“What’s going on out there”