February 16, 2019, 05:15:27 PM

Author Topic: The Peppers effect  (Read 192 times)

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
The Peppers effect
« on: February 07, 2019, 08:44:53 AM »
When Peppers retired I wondered what he could have accomplished as a OLB if he played that position his entire career. Then a thought occurred to me that there could be DEs listed that could be converted and started speculated who could play OLB that would anchor the edge, but also provide a pass rush.  You have three in Ferrell, Allen, and Gary that go in the first round. But I bet Green Bay scouts have their eyes on other DEs that they could convert to Edge LBs. Here are a few I think could excell in that position.
Omenihu (Texas)6-6/275# and runs the forty in 4.8. Not Matthew's time but he's faster and bigger than Ferguson who actually played at that position.
Joe Jackson (Miami)6-5/260# and runs the forty in 4.75...again bigger and faster then Ferguson.
Nelson (Iowa) 6-7/275 and runs the forty in 4.85...same speed as Ferguson, but much bigger.

Now my speculation is these guys also have to be able to turn and run with a TE/RB in their zone so they will have to be able to post good 3-cone times. I will be curious if Green Bay or other 3-4 teams look at these DE guys as OLBs just like the Packers did with Peppers.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: The Peppers effect
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 09:07:59 AM »
When Peppers retired I wondered what he could have accomplished as a OLB if he played that position his entire career. Then a thought occurred to me that there could be DEs listed that could be converted and started speculated who could play OLB that would anchor the edge, but also provide a pass rush.  You have three in Ferrell, Allen, and Gary that go in the first round. But I bet Green Bay scouts have their eyes on other DEs that they could convert to Edge LBs. Here are a few I think could excell in that position.
Omenihu (Texas)6-6/275# and runs the forty in 4.8. Not Matthew's time but he's faster and bigger than Ferguson who actually played at that position.
Joe Jackson (Miami)6-5/260# and runs the forty in 4.75...again bigger and faster then Ferguson.
Nelson (Iowa) 6-7/275 and runs the forty in 4.85...same speed as Ferguson, but much bigger.

Now my speculation is these guys also have to be able to turn and run with a TE/RB in their zone so they will have to be able to post good 3-cone times. I will be curious if Green Bay or other 3-4 teams look at these DE guys as OLBs just like the Packers did with Peppers.

I just assumed everyone, fans of the draft included, already thought along those lines. Each of the players you mentioned would all appear at this moment to be good fit for the Packers as EDGE players. As for being able to turn and run with TE/RB's, the Packers didn't ask Peppers to do much of that. At times he made a zone drop (Pick-6 against Minnesota), but for the most part they played to his strengths.   

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 02:54:34 PM »

Charles Omenihu (Texas)6-6/275# and runs the forty in 4.8. Not Matthew's time but he's faster and bigger than Ferguson who actually played at that position.  I'm a fan at #44, like him a lot.
Joe Jackson (Miami)6-5/260# and runs the forty in 4.75...again bigger and faster then Ferguson. Lowish floor, but high ceiling guy, imo
Anthony Nelson (Iowa) 6-7/275 and runs the forty in 4.85...same speed as Ferguson, but much bigger. Lord he has some length, shame his athleticism and bend isn't better
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 02:56:21 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 03:04:34 PM »
Didn't the Packers try this with Perry? Yep, played DL at USC. They tried the same thing with Kampmann. Now, the question becomes, do you want to try to convert a player to a new position, or take a guy who has already played the position? And what do you want the guy to do? Be able to set the edge; rush the passer, or cover TE's and RB's? All three would be ideal, but which would be most important in your opinion?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline bmaafi

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 04:09:45 PM »
It’s not just 40 speed you need to look at their 10 yard dash, vert, and to a lesser extent broad jump. It shows you explosion and that’s more important in edge players than 40 speed. Also arm length too, so they are able to extend and get those offensive linemen off. Dwight freeney was only about 6’0 but he was explosive and had long arms for his size.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 04:38:23 PM »
Good Lord..................people act as is McCarthy and Capers are still here.

The days of trying to pound square pegs into rounds holes are over and done. MM/DC used to take players that TT drafted and try to make them fit THEIR scheme, with very "limited" results.

Pettine isn't that kind of coach.

Whoever Gute selects for MP, he will adjust his defensive scheme to try and maximize what his players do best. He's been quoted as saying as much.

I'm looking forward to how this all shakes out.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 05:46:08 PM »

The thing people overlook about Peppers is that he was a supreme athlete. He was LeBron James before LeBron James was considered as the best athlete in professional sports. Peppers is nearly 6'7 and ran numbers comparable to Jadaveon Clowney and had about 20 pounds on him. He could really move and wasn't a straight line sort of guy either, he was quick and sudden as well thanks to his basketball background.

Ferrell doesn't play in space. Hasn't been asked to do it and doesn't have the quickness for it IMO. He's a traditional, hand in the dirt DE. Allen falls into this category as well, but he's got potential to play the interior as well. This doesn't mean they're bad players, but they won't be playing LB. Teams might put them on the edge because they will both excel there, but not as LBs.

Gary might have the ability to stand up and play LB. I'm skeptical he will succeed as a LB.

I'd prefer a guy like Jachai Polite. Prototypical length and size aren't that important on the edge these days. Khalil Mack is 6'3 250ish pounds and he's one of the best there is. Give me a guy who is sudden and plays tough.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:52:25 PM by claymaker »