April 19, 2019, 05:52:34 PM

Author Topic: In the First Round  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
In the First Round
« on: February 07, 2019, 12:38:54 PM »
We have two picks, one near the middle and one near the end.

In the upper half, these are some players I like at this early date:

OL:   Jonah Williams, Alabama- this guy can help us on the right side since he can play guard or tackle.  Very reliable, can move the guy in front of him.
ILB:  Devin White, LSU--he is not quite Roquan Smith, but is fairly close.  Can play the run and the pass, and we need a guy like that.
OLB: Montez Sweat,Miss St.--This guy is a terror on the pass rush, plus he is tall and will block passes, good against the run also.

Lower Half

DT: Dexter Lawrence, Clemson--if we stay in the 3-4 he is an ideal NT, at about 350 lbs.  Stacks the run and can get some push in the pass. If we go to the 4-3 he can play on two downs.
S:   Nasir Adderley, Delaware-he can play FS well, and in fact he can cover one on one also.  Plus he can tackle.
TE:  Noah Fant, Iowa-tall and can run pretty well.  He can drive up the seam and get yards after the catch.  We have not had that since Finley really.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: In the First Round
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 02:44:05 PM »
I am undergoing a shift in perspective at the moment. I am moving away from edge rushers at #12 (though Ferrell is tough to pass on, if there).  The Packers D line isn't bad at present, but with Pettine wanting inside pressure, I'm going D line first looking for penetrating 3 tech types, O line second, and Edge third.

1A  DT Ed Oliver, Jeffery Simmons, Christian Wilkins, in the order i gave them. Jerry Tillery is my guy at #30, if a DL is not selected here.
1B  OL Cody Ford, Andre Dillard, Jawaan Taylor.
2   Edge  Charles Omenihu, Chase Winovich, Joe Jackson, D'Andre Walker.

I'm hoping a defense with Perry (yeah, he's still there), Wilkins, Clark, Daniels, Omenihu, can stress the opposing O line enough to make it easier on our DBs. Safety has to be addressed later in this scenario, with someone like Chauncey Gardner-Johnson or Mike Bell from round three onwards (CG-J might go in the 2nd). Whoever it is, I'd rather see someone more FS than SS......I want range.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 03:46:03 PM »
We have two picks, one near the middle and one near the end.

In the upper half, these are some players I like at this early date:

OL:   Jonah Williams, Alabama- this guy can help us on the right side since he can play guard or tackle.  Very reliable, can move the guy in front of him.
ILB:  Devin White, LSU--he is not quite Roquan Smith, but is fairly close.  Can play the run and the pass, and we need a guy like that.
OLB: Montez Sweat,Miss St.--This guy is a terror on the pass rush, plus he is tall and will block passes, good against the run also.

Lower Half

DT: Dexter Lawrence, Clemson--if we stay in the 3-4 he is an ideal NT, at about 350 lbs.  Stacks the run and can get some push in the pass. If we go to the 4-3 he can play on two downs.
S:   Nasir Adderley, Delaware-he can play FS well, and in fact he can cover one on one also.  Plus he can tackle.
TE:  Noah Fant, Iowa-tall and can run pretty well.  He can drive up the seam and get yards after the catch.  We have not had that since Finley really.

OK, Sweat seems to be good at pass rush and edge setting according to this scouting report; nothing about coverage ability:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/11/28/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-montez-sweat/

If this translates to the NFL, he could be the answer to CMIII moving inside.

Now, as far as Fant with #30, c'mon Gregg, admit it- you forgot about Cook, who was unfortunately not re-signed. You wanted the deal done, as did many others on the board. But they let him walk, and signed Martellus Bennett instead. That caused a huge stir, with a LOT of posters very unhappy with that move. Now, the Packers have Graham. It seems as if the Packers are becoming Washington in their belief in bringing in over-the-hill "names". Hopefully, yes, Hockenson or Fant will be the pick at #30. Cook had this to say about leaving GB:

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Jared-Cook-sets-record-straight-sends-message-to-Green-Bay-Packers-fans-51720644/

As far as safety, there are several possibilities in FA, and hopefully the Packers will find someone at the right price. After all, last year the FA market for safeties was a lot softer than anyone expected.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 04:57:59 PM »
Just read this article.....................

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/07/packers-edge-rushers-free-agency-2019/

If things worked out that GB signed one (or two) Edge Rushers in FA, that would change the entire complexion of the draft for the Packers.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 05:49:36 PM »

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/07/packers-edge-rushers-free-agency-2019/

If things worked out that GB signed one (or two) Edge Rushers in FA, that would change the entire complexion of the draft for the Packers.

RT has repeatedly written that in Pettine's scheme, edge rushers are less important than edge setters, since he prefers getting the push on the QB from the middle of the line. If so, then perhaps looking to add edge rushers is not a priority. Instead, getting a top notch safety might be more a priority in FA. Well, either way, we'll know in a little over a month. Expect someone to overpay big time in the initial rush for players who will underperform, if the past is any indication of the future.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 05:59:27 PM »

RT has repeatedly written that in Pettine's scheme, edge rushers are less important than edge setters, since he prefers getting the push on the QB from the middle of the line. If so, then perhaps looking to add edge rushers is not a priority. Instead, getting a top notch safety might be more a priority in FA. Well, either way, we'll know in a little over a month. Expect someone to overpay big time in the initial rush for players who will underperform, if the past is any indication of the future.

Yeah...........Safety could be in play, but I don't see one that's worth the #12 spot.

DL (Oliver, Wilkins) or ILB (White) may be better values at #12. The Combine starts in 3 weeks. Hopefully we gain some additional insight on some of the players we have interest in.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 07:25:22 PM »
Ricky:

I have no idea what you are talking about with Cook and Fant.

I liked Cook. 

Evidently, TT thought he was expendable.

We have not had a really good threatening type of TE since.

Fant looks to me like he can stretch the seam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R0RQSx_P8c

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 09:04:32 PM »
Ricky:

I have no idea what you are talking about with Cook and Fant.

I liked Cook. 

Evidently, TT thought he was expendable.

We have not had a really good threatening type of TE since.

Fant looks to me like he can stretch the seam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R0RQSx_P8c

Jusst tweaking you a bit. You'd wrote the Packers hadn't had a field stretching TE since Finley. But in an earlier post, you'd written (correctly, IMO) that the Packers should have kept Cook. Instead they let him go, and made the Bennett debacle possible. So it was a compliment. As far as Fant, absolutely, if the Packers could pick up a TE with upside and potential to be a worthy successor to some of the good TE's the Packers have had, definitely worth the pick. I was complimenting you and agreeing with you. I realize that is unusual, but don't try to overthink this. It may be quite a while before this occurs... :P

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 09:07:25 AM »

That was a good commonsense and logical article, thanks for sharing. So many of these blogger and social media types just don't have their finger on the pulse of what is really going on with the Packers and microwave a hot take from left field and the nitwits jump on board like they really have something. Zach Kruse consistently puts out good, informed information. He is a good person follow. 

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 10:25:50 AM »
BTW, Noah Fant is not even the best tight end on his team.

T J Hockenson, Iowa's other TE, is a better all around player since he can really block.

But I think Hockenson will be gone in the upper half of the first round.  And I just don't think that, with Gute keeping Graham, we should use that high of a pick on another TE. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 11:31:12 AM »
BTW, Noah Fant is not even the best tight end on his team.

T J Hockenson, Iowa's other TE, is a better all around player since he can really block.

But I think Hockenson will be gone in the upper half of the first round.  And I just don't think that, with Gute keeping Graham, we should use that high of a pick on another TE.

Don't be so sure!

If Hockenson is on the board at #12, it's entirely possible that Gute make take him.

And especially so, if they sign one (or more) Edge guys in free agency.

What happens in free agency (if anything) can completely change the dynamics of the Packers draft.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/07/why-iowa-te-t-j-hockenson-makes-so-much-sense-for-packers/

Many have mocked Hockenson to the Packers at No. 30 overall. He should be in play at No. 12, too. Most mock drafts have the Packers taking an edge rusher and filling the roster’s biggest need, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Hockenson is the best player on the Packers board when they come on the clock with the 12th pick.

Offline Noble Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 12:28:40 AM »
I see a lot of posters advocating for a tight end early, I disagree, I believe shoring up the right side of the line should come first. We have serviceable tight ends, the right side of the line is a disaster area. If Cobb doesn't come back for less money, we need to find a slot receiver. Could Kumerow be it?

Posters also advocate for edge rushers when Pettine prefers to bring pressure from the middle. Thus a great inside backer makes more sense than an edge rusher (if Devin White is there, Gute must take him). We also are in dire need of free safeties, whether it be in free agency or the draft.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 02:39:41 AM »
I see a lot of posters advocating for a tight end early, I disagree, I believe shoring up the right side of the line should come first. We have serviceable tight ends, the right side of the line is a disaster area. If Cobb doesn't come back for less money, we need to find a slot receiver. Could Kumerow be it?
Agree with this. A RT who can play guard is perfect. I'd take one at #30 (Cody Ford, Andre Dillard, Jawaan Taylor)

Posters also advocate for edge rushers when Pettine prefers to bring pressure from the middle. Thus a great inside backer makes more sense than an edge rusher (if Devin White is there, Gute must take him). We also are in dire need of free safeties, whether it be in free agency or the draft.
Absolutely agree with the need for FS (this applies even if a good veteran FA is acquired), though the majority of safeties seem to be SS box safety types. As for Devin White (spits, reaches for the Listerine), it isn't that I don't like him, just that I want to see what Oren Burks does in year two before committing such a high pick to ILB. The Packers have already spent a 4th there (J.Ryan), another 4th (B.Martinez), and a 3rd (Oren Burks), in the last three years. I'm going for spending the Packers first pick on a penetrating D lineman, guys from 285 to 305lbs to get interior pressure. there are at 2-4 candidates likely to be available here, J.Simmons, C.Wilkins, R.Gary, maybe even Ed Oliver if he slips, which I doubt, after he probably excels at the Combine (which he will).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 02:43:45 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 06:56:27 AM »

Really Pettines scheme places a bigger importance on setting a hard edge vs the run than rushing the passer from the OLB position

Nick Perry is the body/physical type of OLB Pettine craves

Setting a hard edge leaves CM3 out..as I see it. too small and would rather crash inside than hold his edge..discipline or lack of...

That's why I see CM3 moving inside where the DC wants the rush to develop...I think  Pettine could play to CM3's attitude about where he can play to gather his stats...which is a driving force for him.....from the ILB position

White is the best available pick at 12 if he is still there. Also is a pick that will make the  biggest improvement on the D side of the ball...

I hope S is addressed thru FA and we can get a player that actually has the talent neccessary to improve the position...PLEASE

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 03:26:23 PM »
Really Pettines scheme places a bigger importance on setting a hard edge vs the run than rushing the passer from the OLB position

Nick Perry is the body/physical type of OLB Pettine craves

True, if he can stay healthy. And he can't stay healthy. Interestingly, he had his most productive year when his contract was coming up.

Setting a hard edge leaves CM3 out..as I see it. too small and would rather crash inside than hold his edge..discipline or lack of...

Matthews is a FA this season. First the Packers have to re-sign him at a (probably) reduced contract. Then the team can start thinking about where and how to use him.

That's why I see CM3 moving inside where the DC wants the rush to develop...I think  Pettine could play to CM3's attitude about where he can play to gather his stats...which is a driving force for him.....from the ILB position

White is the best available pick at 12 if he is still there. Also is a pick that will make the  biggest improvement on the D side of the ball...

I hope S is addressed thru FA and we can get a player that actually has the talent neccessary to improve the position...PLEASE

So, as far as the defense goes, why not just talk to Pettine and ask him what positions he needs, and what players he thinks would best fit in his scheme? Because a big name FA that doesn't fit the scheme, no matter how "team friendly" the contract, will be a liabilty. Same with a draft pick.