May 25, 2019, 12:54:55 PM

Author Topic: In the First Round  (Read 1197 times)

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
Re: In the First Round
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 09:55:20 AM »
Really Pettines scheme places a bigger importance on setting a hard edge vs the run than rushing the passer from the OLB position

Nick Perry is the body/physical type of OLB Pettine craves

True, if he can stay healthy. And he can't stay healthy. Interestingly, he had his most productive year when his contract was coming up.

Setting a hard edge leaves CM3 out..as I see it. too small and would rather crash inside than hold his edge..discipline or lack of...

Matthews is a FA this season. First the Packers have to re-sign him at a (probably) reduced contract. Then the team can start thinking about where and how to use him.

That's why I see CM3 moving inside where the DC wants the rush to develop...I think  Pettine could play to CM3's attitude about where he can play to gather his stats...which is a driving force for him.....from the ILB position

White is the best available pick at 12 if he is still there. Also is a pick that will make the  biggest improvement on the D side of the ball...

I hope S is addressed thru FA and we can get a player that actually has the talent neccessary to improve the position...PLEASE

So, as far as the defense goes, why not just talk to Pettine and ask him what positions he needs, and what players he thinks would best fit in his scheme? Because a big name FA that doesn't fit the scheme, no matter how "team friendly" the contract, will be a liabilty. Same with a draft pick.

very true ricky I hope Gute lets Pettine and ML have some important input

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: In the First Round
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 12:29:01 PM »
Really Pettines scheme places a bigger importance on setting a hard edge vs the run than rushing the passer from the OLB position

Nick Perry is the body/physical type of OLB Pettine craves

True, if he can stay healthy. And he can't stay healthy. Interestingly, he had his most productive year when his contract was coming up.

Setting a hard edge leaves CM3 out..as I see it. too small and would rather crash inside than hold his edge..discipline or lack of...

Matthews is a FA this season. First the Packers have to re-sign him at a (probably) reduced contract. Then the team can start thinking about where and how to use him.

That's why I see CM3 moving inside where the DC wants the rush to develop...I think  Pettine could play to CM3's attitude about where he can play to gather his stats...which is a driving force for him.....from the ILB position

White is the best available pick at 12 if he is still there. Also is a pick that will make the  biggest improvement on the D side of the ball...

I hope S is addressed thru FA and we can get a player that actually has the talent neccessary to improve the position...PLEASE

So, as far as the defense goes, why not just talk to Pettine and ask him what positions he needs, and what players he thinks would best fit in his scheme? Because a big name FA that doesn't fit the scheme, no matter how "team friendly" the contract, will be a liabilty. Same with a draft pick.

very true ricky I hope Gute lets Pettine and ML have some important input

TAYLORBOY and ricky, do you guys really think that everyone is not 100% in sync with the type of players that need to be added for the offense and defense that they run? You think that just maybe Gute and others in personnel might have sat down on several occasions to pick the brains of the members of coaching staff to see if they have some new ideas on directions they may want to take their units. Nobody is randomly adding players and hoping something good works out. Every free agent and draft prospect is vetted front ways and back on how they would fit into their scheme. Because fans are throwing darts in the dark doesn't mean that is what Gute and his staff are doing, every move has a purpose.