April 22, 2019, 05:54:39 PM

Author Topic: Dee Ford  (Read 939 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Dee Ford
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 10:46:07 AM »
No problem thinking $20mil/yr is too much — I’m in agreement there.   I think the exception I make is in the thinking he wouldn’t be a great fit or somehow is a deficient player.

Dee Ford was effective against everyone this past year - not just feasting on mediocre tackles.  Ford was a consistent terror all season whether he got to the QB or just disrupted their rhythm.  Beyond the sacks he had an excellent pressure rate and 55 tackles is great for a primary pass-rushing OLB.   

And similar to the Amos argument - probably bodes well for him if Mike Smith is with the Pack now and they may be interested

Interesting take on Smith now being on staff and his relationship to Ford.

Wonder if the same thinking applies to Kirk Olivadotti and his relationship to Preston Smith?

Nice to have multiple options.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 11:50:43 AM »
No problem thinking $20mil/yr is too much — I’m in agreement there.   I think the exception I make is in the thinking he wouldn’t be a great fit or somehow is a deficient player.

Dee Ford was effective against everyone this past year - not just feasting on mediocre tackles.  Ford was a consistent terror all season whether he got to the QB or just disrupted their rhythm.  Beyond the sacks he had an excellent pressure rate and 55 tackles is great for a primary pass-rushing OLB.   

And similar to the Amos argument - probably bodes well for him if Mike Smith is with the Pack now and they may be interested

Wonder if the same thinking applies to Kirk Olivadotti and his relationship to Preston Smith?

The issue with Ford is what Dee Ford are you getting for $20 mill.  The one in the contract year or the one KC fans spent a few years wondering where he was?  With any of these guys you trade for, it just depends on what you have to give up to get him. 

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 12:07:50 PM »

The issue with Ford is what Dee Ford are you getting for $20 mill.  The one in the contract year or the one KC fans spent a few years wondering where he was?  With any of these guys you trade for, it just depends on what you have to give up to get him.

I don't believe anyone is realistically suggesting he would command a $20 mil contract. I think he's more likely to receive a contract in the 15-16 range.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 12:23:37 PM »

I don't believe anyone is realistically suggesting he would command a $20 mil contract. I think he's more likely to receive a contract in the 15-16 range.

Correct Clay, I think his 2019 franchise contract is $15.4 mill.  You get him for 1 year.   Then you'd look at resigning him or not.   The question is what pick(s) are we giving up for that?

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 12:37:53 PM »
LB’s franchise tag is just over $15M while DE franchise is just over $17M.

As an Edge guy, Ford gets classified as a DE fir tag purposes.

In this article Spotrace estimates Ford’s market as 5 yrs/$81M or about $16M ave. But OTC estimates his market at 5 yrs/$95M or $19M ave

https://247sports.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/Article/Dee-Ford-contract-value-Chiefs-128771765/

Edit: I stand corrected on Ford’s franchise tag. $15.23M. My bad
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:55:38 PM by dannobanano »

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 01:41:36 PM »

Correct Clay, I think his 2019 franchise contract is $15.4 mill.  You get him for 1 year.   Then you'd look at resigning him or not.   The question is what pick(s) are we giving up for that?

2nd rounder and probably a 4th or 5th rounder.