November 11, 2019, 11:31:45 AM

Author Topic: True needs vs perceived needs  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: True needs vs perceived needs
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 08:16:32 AM »
mancl, well said. The good GM's are looking at next year as well as this year. It wouldn't surprise me if OT or DL are taken in the first pick. Guys like that, if they play to their potential, are usually around for 10+ years.

Your comment about pass rusher is also right on and really dovetails to previous comments of some editors that Gutsy will try getting some mid-level guys through FA.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 10:53:44 AM »
The lack of adding quality pass rushers has driven me nuts for YEARS. You can never have too many of those guys, whether they're Lineman or Linebackers.

In that respect, I want to see them re-sign Wilkerson to another short deal, then look at Shaq Barrett and/or Za'Darius Smith. I don't like to be adamant when it comes to the draft, but I almost feel like they have to walk away with at least 1-2 pass rushers and ONE of them has to be the 12th or 30th pick. This is especially the case if Perry and/or Matthews are gone.

They also REALLY need some experience at Safety. Personally, I want them to bypass such high profile names like Collins and Thomas and go after Tre Boston, but if you think Thomas can continue to play at a high level and lead this defense, then you have to consider him.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 12:25:08 PM »
I'd be ok with Tre Boston, but I hope they inquire about Adrian Amos (CHI) as well. If Amos and Boston would both cost about the same, I'd be inclined to go with Amos. Boston had a very solid 2018 campaign. He's going to bank some coin in this FA season, unlike last year.

Edge players are like CB's and WR's, you can never have too many.

But the question here is how does Mike Pettine plan to attack the QB?

Will it be from off the edge, with Edge guys?

Or, will it be up the middle with DL?

Investigate how Pettine wants to bring pressure on the QB, and you'll find where they will probably want to use prime draft picks in this draft.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 12:38:51 PM »
I'd be ok with Tre Boston, but I hope they inquire about Adrian Amos (CHI) as well. If Amos and Boston would both cost about the same, I'd be inclined to go with Amos. Boston had a very solid 2018 campaign. He's going to bank some coin in this FA season, unlike last year.

Investigate how Pettine wants to bring pressure on the QB, and you'll find where they will probably want to use prime draft picks in this draft.

It being rumored that Denver is in the market for a safety also and who is their new coach? Amos just might be headed to Denver if he is worth having. If Denver does not pursue him that probably tells us something also. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 12:49:22 PM »

It being rumored that Denver is in the market for a safety also and who is their new coach? Amos just might be headed to Denver if he is worth having. If Denver does not pursue him that probably tells us something also.

Interesting.

From what I've read their biggest needs were QB-OT-DT-CB.

When did Safety come on the radar?

Update:

Count me as in favor of considering Weddle as a short term fix for Safety, while drafting one to develop this year.

Doing a little reading at NFL.com convinced me.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021211/article/baltimore-ravens-release-veteran-safety-eric-weddle

Over the past three seasons, Weddle started all 48 games and totaled 220 tackles, three sacks and 10 interceptions from his safety position while earning Pro Bowl honors in three consecutive years.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 01:02:06 PM by dannobanano »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 01:17:28 PM »
I with you on Weddle also, he would be a great add for Pettine.

This is for you danno,

https://fansided.com/2019/02/06/denver-broncos-free-agent-rumors-offseason-needs-2019/5/

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 02:13:59 PM »

This is for you danno,

https://fansided.com/2019/02/06/denver-broncos-free-agent-rumors-offseason-needs-2019/5/

Thanks RT.

Interesting that DEN has almost the exact same amount of cap space thag GB does at the moment.

I saw the article also assuming that Landon Collins would not make the open market. So, now that Collins and Weddle (and you know how Elway adores those old grizzled veterans) are both in play, I wonder if they still go all in on Amos, or a CB, or a TE, or an OT.............................they sound a little bit like GB, don't they?!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 07:06:33 AM »

This is for you danno,

Thanks RT.

Interesting that DEN has almost the exact same amount of cap space thag GB does at the moment.

I saw the article also assuming that Landon Collins would not make the open market. So, now that Collins and Weddle (and you know how Elway adores those old grizzled veterans) are both in play, I wonder if they still go all in on Amos, or a CB, or a TE, or an OT.............................they sound a little bit like GB, don't they?!

Like Tramon Williams and Mo Wilkerson being added last season to help Pettine with the transition to a new defense for the Packers, I will be surprised if Elway doesn't do the same for his new coach. Now if they want nothing to do with Amos, well that is probably a red flag to everyone else.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 11:03:00 AM »
Evidently DEN needs cap room because they are getting Flacco on the first day of the new business year and he will count $18M against their current cap space (more than 1/2). They are also going to jettison Safety Darian Stewart in an effort to create more cap space.

With all their existing needs, they may not be in the strongest bargaining position for Amos, especially if someone else began to up the bidding.