April 19, 2019, 06:04:56 PM

Author Topic: Top 40 free agents  (Read 2527 times)

Online packlaw

• Starter
Top 40 free agents
« on: February 11, 2019, 04:17:11 AM »
By now there are a number opinions as to who are the top free agents.  I reviewed one and lo and behold, Mathews and Cobb didn't make it.  The top 18 had 4 safeties, 4 defensive ends and 3 edge or outside linebackers.  In the ones not going to be franchised, Preston Smith and Zadarius Smith were ranked 16 and 18.  Landon Collins was the top safety at 7 overall, Thomas was 10, Joyner 12 and Mathieu 14.  The critical free agent need is a safety and of the four it appears Joyner and Mathieu are the most possible to obtain.  As to Mathews and Cobb, given they are not in the top 40, either could be signed to a team friendly contract.  Given Cobb's performance and injury history, I say pass on him.  Mathews I would sign only if he agrees to play inside. 

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: Top 40 free agents
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 05:25:17 AM »
Hasn't that been the case over the years...fans think the teams players are better then what they are? Personally, I would make a run at Smith and Joyner. Green Bay isn't going to sign any 1st tier guys and getting those two players will plug some major holes.
I keep reading that the Packers will be signing Bell....he has the talent, but not sure about his heart.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 05:59:45 AM »
Hasn't that been the case over the years...fans think the teams players are better then what they are? Personally, I would make a run at Smith and Joyner. Green Bay isn't going to sign any 1st tier guys and getting those two players will plug some major holes.
I keep reading that the Packers will be signing Bell....he has the talent, but not sure about his heart.

The signing of Bell would be a total Murphy business decision signing like the Graham signing a year ago. They had a nice healthy spike in off season Packers apparel last year and Bell would be the player to give them that spike this year. If they time up the signing with good weather on a weekend they may even get an extra spike in innertube ride ticket sales. It's all about turning a good profit, good football decisions not so much anymore.

If it is about making sound football decisions, Thomas and Zadarious Smith are probably the best fits for the current Packers team. If Thomas has his head straight, he would be perfect to be that safety to QB Pettine's defense. With age and injuries I doubt he is going to get the large contract that he covets, the unknown question is if he signs a lesser deal will he be a locker room problem like he was in Seattle.     

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 06:10:25 AM »
I mentioned Joyner over Thomas because of his Texas roots and no state taxes.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 06:35:31 AM »

You may well be correct, but I'm just not a fan of 5'8" former slot corners turned safeties. He should excel in coverage, but he does not. When targeted last season he gave up a completion on 69.6% of those plays, 25th among all safeties. Just me, but I'm not interested in overpaying for average players.   

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 09:28:01 PM »
I looked over a list of FA's.  These are the ones I liked:

OL
Rodger Saffold G Rams--good against the run, good enough against the pass, 31 but played well last year. Can also play tackle.
Ju"Juan Jones, T Miami--25 years old, RT, prototypical height and weight

LB
Anthony Barr OLB Vikes--one of the most purely talented, prototypical size and speed OLB in the NFL.  If he ever puts it all together he will be great.
Za'Darius Smith-OLB Ravens--had his best year last year and is a good all around player who can get to the QB

Safety
Tyrann Matheiu--excellent range and speed, and can play the slot if need be.  Still young.

The way I look at FA, it supplements the draft.  If you take a good guy here you don't need to use that pick on that position in April.  I would be fine with us taking any one of these guys. I would really like to get an OLB so we can shift CM 3 inside.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 08:54:51 AM »

You may well be correct, but I'm just not a fan of 5'8" former slot corners turned safeties. He should excel in coverage, but he does not. When targeted last season he gave up a completion on 69.6% of those plays, 25th among all safeties. Just me, but I'm not interested in overpaying for average players.

I'm also skeptical of players as small as Joyner but while he may have had a worse year in 2018 than in the past - in prior seasons he was well above average and deemed important, skilled enough to play under the franchise tag  (the counter argument being Nick Perry deemed skilled, talented enough to warrant a big contract)

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/26/nfl-rams-lamarcus-joyner-safety-rankings-2018/

"Were this purely based on 2017 play, Joyner would be higher on the list, but factoring in sample size suggests that we should be cautious on what to expect from Joyner. That being said, the level of play we saw from him for most of the 2017 season was fantastic, and through four seasons with time spent at both safety and in the slot, Joyner has allowed just three touchdowns from 206 passes thrown into his coverage."

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 08:22:19 AM »
We supposedly attempted to acquire Dante Fowler Jr. to help with the pass rush, I could see us looking into adding him as one option out of free agency, shouldn't come with a premium price tag.

Another name I like is Shaquil Barrett, stuck behind Miller & Chubb in Denver, he has been productive in his limited opportunities.

Not sure I see us spending a premium on a pass rusher with the option to likely take one with one of our two firsts, I'd prefer to spend the coin at safety on a guy like Mathieu or Thomas like others have mentioned, or even go after a RT/RG.

I'm again seeing articles that the Packers are going to spend this offseason, will believe it when I see it.

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 12:52:37 PM »
It is fun to fantasize about the elite players coming to Green Bay I wouldn't get my hopes up.  In addition to the usual impediments, weather, small town, the Packers haven't had a winning season the last 2 years.   Why would an elite player choose Green Bay?

Also they have multiple needs to it is not as if they only need one player or two to put them over the top.

I see them spending on multiple 2nd tier players, Boston from Arizona for example, not Collins, at a couple of positions.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 03:22:20 PM »
I would be absolutely fine with a free agent class of Breeland, Barrett, and Boston. Preston Smith or Adrian Amos would be great as well.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 08:16:20 AM »
Just a little something for those who think the Packers should be chasing Barr.

Andy Herman

@SconnieSports
Follow
Follow @SconnieSports

More
Anthony Barr:

Career 13.5 sacks (14 plays)

10/14 were unblocked

2/14 he beats a RB 1x1

1/14 he splits the guard/center (this was more bad blocking than good defense)

1/14 he was blocked inside & the QB held the ball way too long

He never truly beat a lineman for a sack.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 07:11:12 AM »
I like Zeittel from Cleveland and would trade for him.  As for other FA's, would go after Saffold and solidify our OL.  Safety is an option, not at 13 mil/year.  Collins at 7-9 mil/yr will work.  Need some LB help desperately, Collins is a potential, Mosely would be a tremendous pickup on a feeble defense we have now!

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 09:17:51 AM »
I would be absolutely fine with a free agent class of Breeland, Barrett, and Tre Boston. Preston Smith or Adrian Amos would be great as well.

Kudos to you, footballdad,  for not being stuck on the Safety train-rails that are Earl Thomas, Landon Collins and Tyrann Mathieu. On some sites you'd think that Collins was the only safety available (and he WILL cost you). You can add ex-Patriot Weddle to that list, as well, and Kareem Jackson, who can play CB or Safety.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:33:30 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 09:36:39 AM »
This might be the most logical Safety addition available for the Packers. I believe he played for Pettine in Cleveland.

Dan Graziano

Verified account

@DanGrazianoESPN
Follow
Follow @DanGrazianoESPN

More
Source says the Jaguars are releasing safety Tashaun Gipson.

Online WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 10:21:40 AM »
My preference would be:

Breeland
Saffold
Boston
Barrett and/or Z'Darius

I'm not particularly interested in signing Collins or Thomas.