February 16, 2019, 06:07:29 PM

Author Topic: kenny clark  (Read 480 times)

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
kenny clark
« on: February 09, 2019, 08:28:09 AM »
Daniels is a FA after this season and given his age, contract and health it is unlikely he will be back.  Given Lancaster's play would it make sense to move Clark to the 3 technique and Lancaster to starting NT?

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: kenny clark
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 09:19:36 AM »
Clark and Lowry are 2020 FA's next as well, although GB can exercise Clark's 5th year option as a 1st round pick, and they should/will.

They have several DL "body types" already on the roster in addition to who was on the 53 man roster.

But look for them to address DL somewhere in the draft this year. It isn't impossible that Daniels could be a trade/release candidate sometime this spring.

Not a prediction. Just putting it out there for thought/discussion.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 09:21:29 AM »
Daniels is a FA after this season and given his age, contract and health it is unlikely he will be back.  Given Lancaster's play would it make sense to move Clark to the 3 technique and Lancaster to starting NT?

There are snaps enough to be had to make use of Lancaster, but a team doesn't move a Pro Bowl NT so that they can get a player limited to stopping the run on the field. Lancaster is a very good run defender, but will be best used as a backup and spot short yardage DLineman. Quality depth is a good thing.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 11:34:26 AM »
Yes and no. I think Clark is better suited for a more versatile role, but he's still great NT. It doesn't limit his effectiveness or hold him back IMO. He's got the inside rush ability to be a threat, so spelling him as a NT every so often would be advised. I wouldn't take the NT role from him completely.

Again, at this point it doesn't matter that much. Green Bay currently does this with Clark, he plays the NT and moves to the 3 tech spot in passing situations often enough. It's really just an alignment thing and not necessarily a "starting" role.

Online Fox_NFLs_GG

• Second String
    • Packer Wire
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 12:08:02 PM »
Daniels has already took a lower contract to stay with the Packers. He might want to do it again, since he is dedicated to the team.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 03:24:00 PM »
Daniels has already took a lower contract to stay with the Packers. He might want to do it again, since he is dedicated to the team.

He took less once. So, since this is probably going to be his last contract, he's going to want to maximize his earnings. The question becomes, will the Packers reward a player who was loyal to them, or try to get him as cheaply as possible? Ask Jordy Nelson the answer to that question.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 03:35:01 PM »
...............but perhaps the more pertinent question (if we are comparing Jordy to Mike) is what level would each of them be playing at when contract time looms. Jordy was clearly (imo) at the end of his career, with Mike that isn't so clear.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 06:50:05 PM »
I'll just leave this here......................

https://www.cheeseheadtv.com/blog/restructuring-contracts-packers-mike-daniels-and-nick-perry-221

Daniels is still a really good player according to all the film gurus.  PFF ranked Daniels as the 60th best interior defensive player with a 71.2 grade.  [PFF ranked Wilkerson and Lowry a little higher than Daniels, which I find ridiculous.]  Daniels was on pace for 8 QB hits.  From 2015 to 2017 he had 9, 11, and 11 QB hits.  In 2018 Daniels was on pace for 29 combined tackles, far below the 49 he put up in 2015 and 2017 in full seasons.  He was on pace for 2 tackles for loss, far less than the 8 he averaged over the previous three seasons.  I would suggest that he is still a very good player who showed some modest regression in 2018.

There's more regarding keeping him and extending him for another 3 yrs with an "out" for the Packers after 2 yrs.

There's two sides to every story. Team side. Players side.

Daniels has made Green Bay his home.............................but so did Jordy.

Take it all with a grain of salt, but the discussion/whispers about whether or not Daniels should stay this year or beyond are just getting started.

The article is definitely one sided regarding Perry. The writer believes Perry has little value outside of GB and that GB should strong arm him to take a massive pay cut or be let go.

Again, stay tuned. This is just getting started.