February 16, 2019, 05:35:15 PM

Author Topic: Top 40 free agents  (Read 331 times)

Offline packlaw

• Starter
Top 40 free agents
« on: February 11, 2019, 04:17:11 AM »
By now there are a number opinions as to who are the top free agents.  I reviewed one and lo and behold, Mathews and Cobb didn't make it.  The top 18 had 4 safeties, 4 defensive ends and 3 edge or outside linebackers.  In the ones not going to be franchised, Preston Smith and Zadarius Smith were ranked 16 and 18.  Landon Collins was the top safety at 7 overall, Thomas was 10, Joyner 12 and Mathieu 14.  The critical free agent need is a safety and of the four it appears Joyner and Mathieu are the most possible to obtain.  As to Mathews and Cobb, given they are not in the top 40, either could be signed to a team friendly contract.  Given Cobb's performance and injury history, I say pass on him.  Mathews I would sign only if he agrees to play inside. 

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
Re: Top 40 free agents
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 05:25:17 AM »
Hasn't that been the case over the years...fans think the teams players are better then what they are? Personally, I would make a run at Smith and Joyner. Green Bay isn't going to sign any 1st tier guys and getting those two players will plug some major holes.
I keep reading that the Packers will be signing Bell....he has the talent, but not sure about his heart.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 05:59:45 AM »
Hasn't that been the case over the years...fans think the teams players are better then what they are? Personally, I would make a run at Smith and Joyner. Green Bay isn't going to sign any 1st tier guys and getting those two players will plug some major holes.
I keep reading that the Packers will be signing Bell....he has the talent, but not sure about his heart.

The signing of Bell would be a total Murphy business decision signing like the Graham signing a year ago. They had a nice healthy spike in off season Packers apparel last year and Bell would be the player to give them that spike this year. If they time up the signing with good weather on a weekend they may even get an extra spike in innertube ride ticket sales. It's all about turning a good profit, good football decisions not so much anymore.

If it is about making sound football decisions, Thomas and Zadarious Smith are probably the best fits for the current Packers team. If Thomas has his head straight, he would be perfect to be that safety to QB Pettine's defense. With age and injuries I doubt he is going to get the large contract that he covets, the unknown question is if he signs a lesser deal will he be a locker room problem like he was in Seattle.     

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 06:10:25 AM »
I mentioned Joyner over Thomas because of his Texas roots and no state taxes.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 06:35:31 AM »
I mentioned Joyner over Thomas because of his Texas roots and no state taxes.

You may well be correct, but I'm just not a fan of 5'8" former slot corners turned safeties. He should excel in coverage, but he does not. When targeted last season he gave up a completion on 69.6% of those plays, 25th among all safeties. Just me, but I'm not interested in overpaying for average players.