Re: Cole
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 02:58:09 PM »

Field Yates

Verified account

@FieldYates
Follow
Follow @FieldYates

More
Source: Packers G Cole Madison, a fifth-round pick last year who stepped away from football in August due to personal reasons, was reinstated to the roster today as they begun their offseason program. Good to see.

Man that warms my heart, really pulling for this guy to make it!
Good scoop and great news!  Glad that it happened before the draft too....
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 04:06:27 PM »
Great news. Now we'll all be able to see if the reality matches or exceeds the hype. And absolutely hope this guy has a long and successful career with the Packers. It took a while, but suddenly, with the draft looming, the OL could become a source of strength.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 04:27:00 PM »
Great news. Now we'll all be able to see if the reality matches or exceeds the hype. And absolutely hope this guy has a long and successful career with the Packers. It took a while, but suddenly, with the draft looming, the OL could become a source of strength.

Whoa, slow down Hoss!!.  The guy is coming off some serious stuff, he hasnt played in a year, and remember,  he was a fifth round pick.  I also hope he makes it, but its a long road.  I think nearly everyone is pulling for him, but it will be a challenge.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 05:16:43 PM »
I do hope that Cole Madison turns into a solid players for the Packers, but his chances of even making the 53 man roster is 50/50 at best. By the time he faces any live action it will of been 19 months and he did not come into the NFL as an elite player to start with. This whole exercise of him being there may well be him putting forward a somewhat honest effort before being cut so that he can keep the 324,332. signing bonus he received when he signed his rookie contract. By going through the motions with some effort put forth the Packers would no longer have grounds to demand a return of the bonus. He just needs to show good faith in his effort.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 07:09:19 PM »
Do the Packers now get him for an extra year?
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 07:23:44 PM »
Do the Packers now get him for an extra year?

The Packers have his rights for 4 seasons and his first of the 4 seasons will be 2019.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 10:06:17 PM »

Whoa, slow down Hoss!!.  The guy is coming off some serious stuff, he hasnt played in a year, and remember,  he was a fifth round pick.  I also hope he makes it, but its a long road.  I think nearly everyone is pulling for him, but it will be a challenge.

We agree on this issue. Cole was similar to Jeff Janis in the minds of some Packers fans. If only the guy had a chance, he'd be a great player. Now, with Cole apparently joining the team, we'll see whether he's hype or reality. And yes, I do hope the hype is true. Does that mean I have him playing LG or RG ot RT this year? Absolutely not. I am hoping for the best, which is how I operate. 

However, the idea that a late round pick can't be successful is easily proven wrong. Bakhtiari was a fourth rounder. Donald Driver seventh round. Cullen Jenkins came in from Europe. Tramon Williams was picked up on waivers after being a UFA. Sam Shields, UFA. A high draft position is no guarantee of quality.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2019, 05:44:11 PM »
Ricky, I think your enthusiasm and recall seems way larger than I recall?  He was a late 5th-round pick; most draft reports had projected him more as a 7th/UDFA/6th type guy.  It's not like he had a bundle of scouting rep that he was a 3rd-round talent who the Packers were able to steal in the 5th. 

Naturally we were hopeful; we are with all draft picks!  Perhaps especially so given the previous success the Packers have had with 3rd-day offensive linemen, and with the opportunities we saw at the guard spot. 

RT, thanks for your two key points:  that last year does NOT count against his contract control, and the bit about his signing bonus being at issue. 

I sincerely hope this reflects a sincere commitment to excelling as an NFL winner, and that in time he becomes one.  But I see no reason to project him for the 53-man roster, or to have his unexpected addition to the 90-man roster have ANY impact on drafting some o-linemen. 

Cole or not, I'd still be pretty thrilled to see the Packers select one by the end of round 3, certainly by the end of round 4; and I'd hope they select a second by the end of round 5, certainly by the end of round 6. 

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2019, 08:28:17 AM »
I just do not know how much I would expect GB to draft for OG in the first few rounds.  It just is not in the mold of what GB has done.  The sweet spot for drafting OL, and especially OG, has been in the middle rounds.  TT established this model and it has worked.  I do not necessarily see Gutey varying from this.  Now, drafting someone to play at OT would be a different story.

Furthermore, I believe that the addition of Turner even more so diminishes the chances of taking a player at OG very high.  Turner did grade out higher than Spain in the metrics that I was looking at and posters here seemed to want Spain in FA. 

Admittedly, Cole has a long way to go to make this team much less be a starter BUT the team was high on him a year ago.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2019, 12:34:52 PM »
I just do not know how much I would expect GB to draft for OG in the first few rounds.  It just is not in the mold of what GB has done.  The sweet spot for drafting OL, and especially OG, has been in the middle rounds.  TT established this model and it has worked.  I do not necessarily see Gutey varying from this.  Now, drafting someone to play at OT would be a different story.

Furthermore, I believe that the addition of Turner even more so diminishes the chances of taking a player at OG very high.  Turner did grade out higher than Spain in the metrics that I was looking at and posters here seemed to want Spain in FA. 

Admittedly, Cole has a long way to go to make this team much less be a starter BUT the team was high on him a year ago.

Under TT and MM, I would agree with you.

But Gute is putting his own stamp/identity on the GM's job. I don't think he's going to be TT 2.0 (JMHO).

Plus, there is a new HC and a new offense to be installed. I would say that Bakhtiari, Linsley, and newly signed FA Turner are safe bets to remain. But after them, it's anyones guess as to who gets to make the 53 man roster among OL.

With the new blocking scheme (and let's use Turner as the base line for that), it's a fair question to ask if Taylor, Bulaga, Siragusa, Patrick, McCray, and Pankey fit the athletic profile they may be looking for OL players. I think Light fits the profile, but I can't be 100% sure on that either.

So, as a first year HC, wouldn't you be asking your GM for some building blocks to your OL that have the profile and talent to be playing ASAP, rather than D&D guys who might be ready in 2 or more years?

Drafting at least one OL with one of the first 3 picks can't be ruled out, IMO.

But I guess we wait and see.

That's what's making this pre-draft season so much fun. It's going to be unpredictable as to who/what/when they draft to rebuild this team.

And with the emphasis that was place on defense (another anti-TT GM move by Gute), by putting $153M out of $181M spent in FA on defense, I'm going to say that offense will be some of the early stuff in the draft, unless a true blue chipper like Oliver, etc. drops into Gutes lap at #12.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2019, 02:23:11 PM »
I just do not know how much I would expect GB to draft for OG in the first few rounds. ..

I'd draft a guy with OT talents first, and a guard-only guy second.  The guard-only guy would be mid-round or late.  But the OT-prospect could be variably early, no later than 4th round, and possibly earlier than Day 3. 

Many/most good guards were OT prospects.  So *IF* you draft a good lineman, and Bulaga healthily and effectively starts every Packers game for the next four years, that good lineman could end up playing guard.  But *IF* you draft a good lineman, and Bulaga misses some games this year and maybe misses more thereafter or is no longer a Packer, the good lineman could play Tackle down the road.  It's not that easy to get a great rookie-ready RT in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.  So I'm perfectly comfortable taking a guy who's promising, but who may project as a rookie reserve so long as all of the projected starters stay healthy.  That won't remain true for long anyway.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2019, 04:09:13 PM »

Under TT and MM, I would agree with you.

But Gute is putting his own stamp/identity on the GM's job. I don't think he's going to be TT 2.0 (JMHO).

Plus, there is a new HC and a new offense to be installed. I would say that Bakhtiari, Linsley, and newly signed FA Turner are safe bets to remain. But after them, it's anyones guess as to who gets to make the 53 man roster among OL.

With the new blocking scheme (and let's use Turner as the base line for that), it's a fair question to ask if Taylor, Bulaga, Siragusa, Patrick, McCray, and Pankey fit the athletic profile they may be looking for OL players. I think Light fits the profile, but I can't be 100% sure on that either.

So, as a first year HC, wouldn't you be asking your GM for some building blocks to your OL that have the profile and talent to be playing ASAP, rather than D&D guys who might be ready in 2 or more years?

Drafting at least one OL with one of the first 3 picks can't be ruled out, IMO.

But I guess we wait and see.

That's what's making this pre-draft season so much fun. It's going to be unpredictable as to who/what/when they draft to rebuild this team.

And with the emphasis that was place on defense (another anti-TT GM move by Gute), by putting $153M out of $181M spent in FA on defense, I'm going to say that offense will be some of the early stuff in the draft, unless a true blue chipper like Oliver, etc. drops into Gutes lap at #12.

I don't agree with the narrative that Turner is the baseline for O-Lineman. Turner's athletic profile (7.92 3-cone, 4.71 short shuttle, 25 bench, 28 vertical amounted to a 38.3 percentile score) from the draft process mirrors that of Taylor, McCray and Pankey. Both Bulaga and Siragusa tested better than Turner, but that was before each had knee surgeries, soo their is that. Patrick and Spriggs were far better than Turner coming out. Patrick was the 4th most athletic OL the year he came out and had a 95.0 percentile score. Spriggs had a 7.57 3-cone and 4.44 short shuttle, 35 vertical and 31 bench for a 91.7 percentile.

Turner's athletic profile suggest that he is not anymore physically gifted than any of the other 13 OL currently under contract. IMO

Offline BTIdaho

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2019, 09:53:34 AM »
Much smarter people than I are making these decisions, but, if the Packers are so void of talent on the OL, maybe they need to develop a different system of evaluating OL talent.  Does it really matter if Jason Spriggs runs a great short shuttle when he struggles to do his job?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2019, 11:26:15 AM »
Much smarter people than I are making these decisions, but, if the Packers are so void of talent on the OL, maybe they need to develop a different system of evaluating OL talent.  Does it really matter if Jason Spriggs runs a great short shuttle when he struggles to do his job?

And maybe this narrative that the Packers are void of talent on the OL is echoed by people that don't know what they are talking about. There are only about 25 other teams that wished they could swap their OL's talent with the Packers.