June 25, 2019, 10:42:36 PM

Author Topic: Cole  (Read 2924 times)

Offline BTIdaho

• Starter
Re: Cole
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2019, 12:46:34 PM »
I did not mean to insult your intelligence.  I was merely suggesting that more than these analytics should go into evaluating these players , and. maybe they do.   

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2019, 03:06:40 PM »
I did not mean to insult your intelligence.  I was merely suggesting that more than these analytics should go into evaluating these players , and. maybe they do.

I don't know if you are being facetious here or not, but I'm guessing you read my response as being more harsh than it was meant to be. I don't know if the people that smite me for such a comment misinterpreted the tone or just think everyone sucks and anyone who disagrees and backs it up with facts should be struck with a negative. For those people, well they can just kiss my *ss.

As for your response of 'merely suggesting that more than these analytics should go into evaluating', if you truly believe for a second that more does not go into it than just analytics their is probably little need to continue a conversation. The analytics is only the first step in paring down the field to the players that can physically do the individual things that a team is going to need them to do to be a successful piece within the unit. When adding up the draft investment and seeing the return on investment it is hard to believe that anyone would think that they need to change the way they evaluate the position.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2019, 06:33:23 PM »
...And with the emphasis that was place on defense (another anti-TT GM move by Gute), by putting $153M out of $181M spent in FA on defense, I'm going to say that offense will be some of the early stuff in the draft, unless a true blue chipper like Oliver, etc. drops into Gutes lap at #12.

Not sure I see it quite that way, danno.  TT has spent all of his emphasis on defense for the last ten years.  TT spent his resources on the draft, and he always spent all of his draft capital on defensive guys. 

Obviously the reason Gute spent his $$ on FA defenders is because Gute+TT's defensive draft picks hadn't worked out, so the need was urgent and all the failed defensive picks weren't worth cap money.  But it sure wasn't for lack of priority on defense. 

Offline Plaza

• Rookie
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2019, 08:15:33 PM »
New contributor, so be kind.  I look at Cole as an extra draft choice this year.  Last year he was a bust when we needed help on the O line, but that is the past.  This year he is the equivalent of a new fifth round pick.  If he makes the teaming contributes it is all good.  If he doesn't there is no loss.  All upside, no downside.

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2019, 08:22:38 PM »
Welcome Plaza, and there is nothing to rip on in your very realistic and logical take on Cole Madison being in camp.

In Cole's pre-draft analysis his strengths were identified as:
"Hard-working blocker with possibilities at a number of offensive line positions. Stays square, makes outstanding use of angles and keeps defenders in front of him. Quickly gets off the snap, keeps his feet moving and displays solid lateral range in pass protection. Blocks with leverage and proper pad level and anchors at the point."
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline TAYLORBOY

• All Pro
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2019, 07:42:41 AM »
I keep thinking that the hire of Hendrickson...a friend of Guteā€¦.who was with the Ravens for years and his area of expertise was OL should help the Packers....