May 19, 2019, 02:17:46 PM

Author Topic: NFL pays Keapernick $60m - $80m to go away.  (Read 1837 times)

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
NFL pays Keapernick $60m - $80m to go away.
« on: February 15, 2019, 09:12:25 PM »
Unreal.

In other news, Chris Carter sez Pats can sign Keapernick to replace Brady.

I'm seriously sick of the Pats, so I think this is a great idea. I'm thinking 5 years, $31m / year, fully guaranteed.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
Re: NFL pays Keapernick $60m - $80m to go away.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 10:31:56 AM »
Mark,

How do you know the actual amount?

Or are you just guessing?

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 11:10:03 AM »
Sets a bad precedent IMO. Whats stopping a guy like Dez Bryant from claiming the same thing?  "No team wants me so it must be collusion".

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 12:02:50 PM »
The amount is secret. "Sources," according to the article I read.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 01:40:45 PM »

Here is one possible source for the article:

https://theweek.com/speedreads/824104/colin-kaepernicks-nfl-collusion-settlement-potentially-60-million-80-million-range

This is a British publication, and the political bias is supposedly pretty much center. What I noticed was league sources speculating on what they thought the settlement might be, rather than people actually "in the know". So, grain of salt, at a minimum.

Now, as to Kaepernick being the successor to Brady, this is being floated by Cris Carter. This is being spun out of think air, being pulled out of the more troubled recesses of his mind, and, to me, makes no sense. Robert Kraft, a strong supporter of President Trump, wants to bring in the anti-anthem, flag hating rebel? Sure. If you buy into this, forget the grain of salt; you get an indeterminate term in the salt mines:

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/02/15/colin-kaepernick-tom-brady-successor-cris-carter-patriots-robert-kraft/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 02:18:04 PM »

Here is one possible source for the article:

https://theweek.com/speedreads/824104/colin-kaepernicks-nfl-collusion-settlement-potentially-60-million-80-million-range

This is a British publication, and the political bias is supposedly pretty much center. What I noticed was league sources speculating on what they thought the settlement might be, rather than people actually "in the know". So, grain of salt, at a minimum.

Now, as to Kaepernick being the successor to Brady, this is being floated by Cris Carter. This is being spun out of think air, being pulled out of the more troubled recesses of his mind, and, to me, makes no sense. Robert Kraft, a strong supporter of President Trump, wants to bring in the anti-anthem, flag hating rebel? Sure. If you buy into this, forget the grain of salt; you get an indeterminate term in the salt mines:

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/02/15/colin-kaepernick-tom-brady-successor-cris-carter-patriots-robert-kraft/

Kraft is friends with DT, but he is a lifelong Dem and gave money to both BHO's campaigns.

Nice to know people can still be friends even when one is red and the other blue.

soapbox

That said, no way CK is going to end up in NE. Agree that this is CC throwing darts blindfolded.

CK will never play another down in the NFL.

Wonder how much Reid got? After all, he just signed a sweet deal with CAR.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 04:58:55 PM »
Kraft is friends with DT, but he is a lifelong Dem and gave money to both BHO's campaigns.

Kraft donated $1 million to the Trump inauguration. That is indeed friendly.

Nice to know people can still be friends even when one is red and the other blue.

soapbox

That said, no way CK is going to end up in NE. Agree that this is CC throwing darts blindfolded.

There is speculation that part of the agreement with CK is that he will, indeed, be content never to play another down in the NFL. This from PFT: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/16/kaepernicks-agreement-may-include-permanent-separation-clause/

Well, earlier I posted a link to PFT that indicated that CK would agree to not play again. Maybe not. The question being, who would hire him?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/16/geragos-kaepernick-absolutely-wants-to-play/
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:27:45 PM by ricky »

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 10:09:08 AM »

Well, earlier I posted a link to PFT that indicated that CK would agree to not play again. Maybe not. The question being, who would hire him?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/16/geragos-kaepernick-absolutely-wants-to-play/

Some idiot team will sign him.  One thing you don't want in today's NFL is a backup QB who dominates your press coverage due to non playing issues.  You want that media focus on your team and preferably your starting QB.  When you win a game and the media rushes to your backup QB it can present big problems.  I wouldn't bring this guy in as a starter or backup.  It has little to do with his stance, although I disagree with him, it has a lot to do with protecting your teams publicity and public relations.  He hasn't played in 2 years and was on the downside when he left.   Why would you want that distraction in your locker room and in your teams public relations ?  JMO

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 01:37:39 PM »

Kraft donated $1 million to the Trump inauguration. That is indeed friendly.
Yes, very friendly! After Kraft's wife died DJT called Kraft every week to offer support and help during a most difficult time for Kraft. Kraft said "Thank You" in his own way.

soapbox

There is speculation that part of the agreement with CK is that he will, indeed, be content never to play another down in the NFL. This from PFT: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/16/kaepernicks-agreement-may-include-permanent-separation-clause/

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 01:41:15 PM by dannobanano »

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 08:39:58 AM »

Some idiot team will sign him.  One thing you don't want in today's NFL is a backup QB who dominates your press coverage due to non playing issues.  You want that media focus on your team and preferably your starting QB.  When you win a game and the media rushes to your backup QB it can present big problems.  I wouldn't bring this guy in as a starter or backup.  It has little to do with his stance, although I disagree with him, it has a lot to do with protecting your teams publicity and public relations.  He hasn't played in 2 years and was on the downside when he left.   Why would you want that distraction in your locker room and in your teams public relations ?  JMO

All the same arguments for why Eric Reid would never play again and should never be signed.  And seemingly counter to your belief the team should have claimed Kareem Hunt off waivers?   Reid is easily as outspoken as CK is (perhaps more so),  kept right on protesting and kneeling throughout this season, helped convince others on the Panthers squad to protest during the anthem by on-field actions or by them staying in the locker room during the anthem (Julius Peppers).     And yet the League continued on, the League posted tremendous season-long viewership and attendance numbers, the Panthers sold out all of their games and Eric Reid signed a very lucrative extension.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 08:40:26 AM »
I read so many comments from people supportive of players like Joe Mixon, Kareem Hunt, Jefferey Simmons, Tyreek Hill, Frank Clark, Greg Hardy etc, etc, etc and how each of them deserves 2nd chances and are probably good people that just made a mistake.   They have all beaten women, in most cases extremely viciously, yet the outcry is still stronger against CK playing in the NFL by the same people because kneeling peacefully is much, much worse than beating women.  *Shakes head*  #priorities

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 09:40:56 AM »
I read so many comments from people supportive of players like Joe Mixon, Kareem Hunt, Jefferey Simmons, Tyreek Hill, Frank Clark, Greg Hardy etc, etc, etc and how each of them deserves 2nd chances and are probably good people that just made a mistake.   They have all beaten women, in most cases extremely viciously, yet the outcry is still stronger against CK playing in the NFL by the same people because kneeling peacefully is much, much worse than beating women.  *Shakes head*  #priorities

Agree with this 100%. Striking a woman is never acceptable, all of these men are physically gifted and can easily walk away in any dispute with a female.   

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 09:50:33 AM »
As confidently smug as CK's lawyer is about him returning to an NFL team this coming season, I'm guessing that a team signing him was part of the settlement. The new owner in Carolina seems to have taken it upon himself to resolve this issue, will not be surprised if he is signed to backup Newton there. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 12:32:32 PM »
As confidently smug as CK's lawyer is about him returning to an NFL team this coming season, I'm guessing that a team signing him was part of the settlement. The new owner in Carolina seems to have taken it upon himself to resolve this issue, will not be surprised if he is signed to backup Newton there.

The three "likely" spots being thrown around on some sites and on sports talk radio are Miami, Carolina or New England. If they are going to do this, signing him as early as possible would be the smart move. Similar to Cleveland signing Hunt, months before the season started. By the time the season rolls around, all or most of the "hoopla factor" should be gone or at least greatly diminished. In the case of Hunt, especially if he follows the guidelines set up by the PR department, there should be no real problem. As to Kaepernick, the real question becomes, will he continue to take a knee during the anthem? If he does, it'll reignite the controversy. Then again, Reid continued to kneel during the anthem, and did receive the big re-signing money.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 05:39:28 PM »

Except they know what they did is wrong. Krapernick is a duplicitous, narcissistic PoS who intentionally divided people with a nefarious social schema from the intersectionality bible. What he did wasn't championing free speech, it subverts free speech on a fundamental level. If you criticize him you're racist or a hypocrite. My own personal philosophy resents what he did and continues to do because it promotes and blinds people a very big problem in society today, narcissism.