July 22, 2019, 12:12:31 PM

Author Topic: NFL pays Keapernick $60m - $80m to go away.  (Read 2363 times)

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
Re: NFL pays Keapernick $60m - $80m to go away.
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 01:12:47 PM »
Why do I have the urge to channel James Downey from Billy Madison right now?

Offline bmaafi

• Second String
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 03:14:34 PM »
Why do I have the urge to channel James Downey from Billy Madison right now?

“...and May god have mercy on your soul”   Haha

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 11:17:28 AM »
New rumors are that the $60m - $80m figure is highly inflated, and the real number is half or less. Since there's binding NDAs all around, I don't think we'll ever know for sure.

The higher numbers would typically be "go away" payouts and include a clause that he will never work for the NFL again. But rumors persist that the Panthers and Pats are talking to him about a job, kneeling in front of the bench apparently.

I'd like to go on record that I will kneel in front of the bench for half whatever Keapernick agrees to. When asked, I'll say I'm kneeling to protest my white privilege.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 07:19:04 PM »
The problem was that how can you defend Blake Bortles making 7 million a year, and he was benched for Cody Kessler.

But a guy who took his team to a SB, and almost won, cannot get a job?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/19/colin-kaepernick-eric-reid-collusion-settlement
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 07:19:55 PM by Gregg »

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 09:33:54 AM »
The problem was that how can you defend Blake Bortles making 7 million a year, and he was benched for Cody Kessler.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/19/colin-kaepernick-eric-reid-collusion-settlement

Which is why the NFL settled. And also because during the "discovery process", the attorneys for Kaepernick and Reid could have asked to look at all sorts of stuff the NFL wants to keep secret. Looking at some of the guys who were/are backups in the NFL, it was glaringly obvious that CK was better. And when the Ravens said the reason they didn't sign him was the expected backlash, well...
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 05:01:57 PM »

Which is why the NFL settled. And also because during the "discovery process", the attorneys for Kaepernick and Reid could have asked to look at all sorts of stuff the NFL wants to keep secret. Looking at some of the guys who were/are backups in the NFL, it was glaringly obvious that CK was better. And when the Ravens said the reason they didn't sign him was the expected backlash, well...

I can't blame teams for not wanting the backlash, and I really dont think each NFL owner cared if another NFL team signed him. I never though it was a conspiracy to keep him out. I just think each team didnt want to deal with it. JMO 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 05:06:35 PM by The GM »

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 04:57:45 AM »

I can't blame teams for not wanting the backlash, and I really dont think each NFL owner cared if another NFL team signed him. I never though it was a conspiracy to keep him out. I just think each team didnt want to deal with it. JMO

I agree with you. Nobody wanted the headaches.
“What’s going on out there”

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 01:32:08 PM »

But, Reid was signed. Because he was not the "protester in chief". He knelt as much as CK, but it was Kaepernick who became the symbol of the protests. And as far as not wanting the headaches, Kareem Hunt signed by Cleveland after video evidence of abuse. Greg Hardy signed by Dallas after multiple accusations of abuse. Ben Roethlisberger retained by the Steelers after multiple accusations of severe abuse. Mike Vick signed after serving prison time for multiple abuses of animals. There are more examples, but it seems clear that teams are willing to take on "headaches" if they're talented enough. Except for Kaepernick. Was there a written agreement between all teams not to sign him? No. But was there an overall understanding that he was "damaged goods", that the NFL feared the resurgence of the outrage that affected TV ratings for a year or two? That time had apparently allowed the situation to cool down, and the NFL didn't want to stir the pot?

Now that a settlement has been reached, will some team sign him? If so, as stated earlier, the sooner the better. Though with the recent troubles of Kraft in Florida, it would seem the Patriots would be less likely to add another controversy at this time. So, Miami or Carolina are still possible landing spots for him as a backup.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 02:00:11 PM »

But, Reid was signed. Because he was not the "protester in chief". He knelt as much as CK, but it was Kaepernick who became the symbol of the protests. And as far as not wanting the headaches, Kareem Hunt signed by Cleveland after video evidence of abuse. Greg Hardy signed by Dallas after multiple accusations of abuse. Ben Roethlisberger retained by the Steelers after multiple accusations of severe abuse. Mike Vick signed after serving prison time for multiple abuses of animals. There are more examples, but it seems clear that teams are willing to take on "headaches" if they're talented enough. Except for Kaepernick. Was there a written agreement between all teams not to sign him? No. But was there an overall understanding that he was "damaged goods", that the NFL feared the resurgence of the outrage that affected TV ratings for a year or two? That time had apparently allowed the situation to cool down, and the NFL didn't want to stir the pot?

Now that a settlement has been reached, will some team sign him? If so, as stated earlier, the sooner the better. Though with the recent troubles of Kraft in Florida, it would seem the Patriots would be less likely to add another controversy at this time. So, Miami or Carolina are still possible landing spots for him as a backup.

I dont think the settlement with the league is going to stop the public backlash and PR problems he'll bring with him.  For many,  his playing days are forgotten, and he'll always be the kneeling guy.

Offline BartyorBarrySmith

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2019, 05:28:09 AM »
I'd like to go on record that I will kneel in front of the bench for half whatever Keapernick agrees to. When asked, I'll say I'm kneeling to protest my white privilege.

You can celebrate every time a police officer doesn't shoot you for a tail light violation.

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 05:53:57 AM »
My own personal philosophy resents what he did and continues to do because it promotes and blinds people a very big problem in society today, narcissism.

Complaining about narcissism because of your "own personal philosophy" sounds a bit narcissistic?  Would it ease your mind to know that the quiet act of taking a knee in concern for others is a demonstration of empathy and it is a lack of empathy that is a core symptom of narcissism?

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 07:56:01 AM »

You can celebrate every time a police officer doesn't shoot you for a tail light violation.

But we first must go through the mass hysteria, looting and rioting through the community.  Only then, can we find out what ACTUALLY happened and caused it.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2019, 09:05:34 AM »
My own personal philosophy resents what he did and continues to do because it promotes and blinds people a very big problem in society today, narcissism.

Complaining about narcissism because of your "own personal philosophy" sounds a bit narcissistic?  Would it ease your mind to know that the quiet act of taking a knee in concern for others is a demonstration of empathy and it is a lack of empathy that is a core symptom of narcissism?

The quiet act of taking a knee resulted in one the most divisive and toxic societal topics. We're not talking about racial inequalities or police brutality are we? The discussion ended up being about Colin Krapernick and free speech. In what way has it positively affected the underlying issue it was supposed to be about? What about taking a knee in front of cameras for millions to see is quiet? That is as grandiose as you could possibly get. What you've wrote is an opinion not a fact. What I've done is used my opinion to point out what I believe to be the cause and correlation to the issue and explain my disdain for Krapernick. Free speech is a core value within everyone, and when it is obstructed and even manipulated by others it doesn't feel good. I'm criticizing what he did, not saying he shouldn't have done it. The rift it created prevented people with other valid opinions to speak up and we ended up with a totalitarian regime running the show.

Again, I'm simply stating my opinion, but what he did subverted free speech under the guise of racial inequalities, which are mostly discussed with false narratives unfortunately. The immediate problem, much like the climate change topic, lies within the inability to be skeptical about the dogmas and hopefully solve the problem in a real way.

A narcissist can still fake empathy. It all comes down to "narcissistic supply."  Malignant Self-Love: Narcissism Revisited is a great book to read if you're interested. The author, Sam Vaknin, also has a series of videos and podcasts about the subject, definitely worth watching.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 09:23:02 AM by claymaker »

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2019, 12:14:18 PM »
Minus all the off-field stuff, Kaepernick was dreadful in his final two years in the league. Combine that with the negativing he was creating off the field, it would have been shocking had anyone signed him. Lost 16 of 19 starts over his final 2 years, 59% completion rate, sacked 64 times, less than 200 ypg, and just 22 TD's. His play had already fallen off heavily in 2014. Once he got paid and the NFL defenses figured out the zone read, he was finished.

If anything, him getting ignored by NFL teams saved his "career" and kept him relevant. He was destined to be out of the league in no time. It's an absolute disgrace that he's been paid nicely for sucking at being an NFL QB post zone read era.

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2019, 10:46:19 PM »

But we first must go through the mass hysteria, looting and rioting through the community.  Only then, can we find out what ACTUALLY happened and caused it.

This year marks the 300th anniversary of the first African slaves forcefully brought to this country.  There's an enormously longer and fuller history of whites being hysterical when a black did any simple thing like -- tried to vote, looked at white woman, drank from a water fountain, sat at a lunch counter, kneeled during the national anthem or simply claimed their full human rights and dignity.  When an integrated group of college students road buses through the south, they were dragged off the bus and beaten with clubs. Standing up against 300 years of racial discrimination just doesn't sound hysterical to me but seeing the white respond to a player sit or kneel during the national anthem was loaded with self-righteous hysteria.