May 26, 2019, 06:20:06 AM

Author Topic: Earl Thomas  (Read 2373 times)

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Earl Thomas
« on: February 16, 2019, 11:42:54 AM »
I think Thomas will have suitors, but getting the future HOFer to Green Bay would be a huge upgrade
I hope this link works.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/free-agency-2019-green-bay-packers/2019/2/16/18227419/packers-free-agency-2019-earl-thomas-safety-pff-projection
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 12:02:23 PM by The GM »

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Earl Thomas
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 01:46:26 PM »
The link does work. Thank you. Now, landing Thomas could well have a similar impact to the signing of Woodson. An immediate upgrade at a position, and an immediate upgrade to the defense. Depending on the impact on the salary cap, and the team's ability to re-sign players they're interested in keeping, then sure.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 01:01:50 PM »
He is coming back from a major injury plus he is no spring chicken anymore.

This is why I think Ty Mathieu is the better choice.

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 01:40:21 PM »
The reports from last week of him enrolling his kids in an Austin school certainly raise an eye brow. Could mean absolutely nothing as it is where he's from I do believe.

Hopefully it doesn't end up as a situation with the Packers chasing a player that has already made up his mind, and in the mean time the Packers missing out on other potential starting safeties.

You'd have to think the Cowboys are all in for 2019 with guys like Dak, Zeke, Cooper, Jaylon Smith, Byron Jones, and La'el Collins, and Sean Lee having expiring contracts and due for raises. If the Cowboys want him and see a Super Bowl push, he's likely theirs. I'm sure Thomas sees a strong core group there, along with Vander Esch, Zack Martin, Travis Fredrick, Tyron Smith, and possibly a returning Demarcus Lawrence. Can the Packers compete with everything from an appeal standpoint?

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 05:06:48 PM »
I'm fine with Thomas. He's indisputably the best FS in the NFL, and I don't see age changing that. I'm sure his leg will check out fine and as a result his value isn't affected all that much.

The only thing that would give me pause is the money Thomas would want. He will want top dollar and certainly deserves it in my view. IMO all the guys we're talking about will cost 10+, and there's only so much money to go around.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 05:15:06 PM »
Green Bay is one of the least desirable FA destinations.  You are going to have to overpay for just about any top FA to get them to GB.  Thats why its important to make wise choices in the market.  Most FAs will choose somewhere else if its market value.  Its a reason TT didnt venture into it very often.  Gute may be willing to take some risks but when you are overpaying, you cant afford bad investments. You gotta be right.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 07:24:01 PM »
I think after a couple of losing seasons, it's also now harder to sell Green Bay as the place to go to win.  If winning is a guy's top priority, a guy should probably choose someplace else?  We've got a chance for sure, but that's kinda true for 2/3 of the teams, our chance isn't probably unusually high. 

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 11:39:07 PM »
I think after a couple of losing seasons, it's also now harder to sell Green Bay as the place to go to win.  If winning is a guy's top priority, a guy should probably choose someplace else?  We've got a chance for sure, but that's kinda true for 2/3 of the teams, our chance isn't probably unusually high.

I think it's definitely a tougher sell this year. Not speaking of this forum, just generalizing really, I think many people have a tough time accepting there isn't much appeal after watching Favre and Rodgers QB this team for the past 27 years and be predicted contenders virtually year in and year out. We love the team and everything about it, but at times, struggle to see that others just don't get it or care.

Over the years, I've periodically done work throughout the country, living in hotels and away from home for long periods of time. The majority of the guys just love the city life. All the things to do, all the things to see...especially the young guys. Recently a job came up very close to home here in nowhere WI. The guys hated it, constant complaining of absolutely nothing to do, the cold, the snow. First chance guys saw to take on another job in a different part of the country and they were out of here. I think it'd be hard pressed to say football players with money to burn and a life to live would see things any different.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 02:10:28 AM »
No matter how much we would like to see Thomas in GB, it's not going to happen. He wants to play for Dallas. Period. Should set our sights a little lower.
Adrian Amos or Tre Boston. Good draft for the safety position as well. Adderley, Thompson, Abrams, Thornhill, Rapp. No reason to break the bank for someone who would much rather be elsewhere.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 06:33:48 AM »
Thomas isn't coming to Green Bay. Now that doesn't mean Gutsy won't find another safety to sign. Just like footballdad said...sign a vet and draft a safety as well. Secure that position that has been an area of weakness for years.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 07:23:42 AM »
If Thomas is happy with his contract, he will come to Green Bay and do well.  His issue in Seattle was the Seahawks failure to negotiate a new deal.  The question about Thomas is his health and are you willing to overpay him to come to Green Bay?  Pay him and you will get his best.  Gute will have to determine what and if that price is worth it versus going after someone else.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 08:21:03 AM »
It wouldn’t surprise me that Gute has already discussed Thomas with MLF AND Pettine.

My guess (and that’s all it is), is that Pettine/MLF May think spending big FA money should be directed at a different position.

Dallas May be “all in” on bringing ET to Big D in an all out effort to “win now”, and with ET being from Texas, Gute would have to grossly overpay him to win his services and that could financially hamstring GB for years.

No thanks!

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 09:51:48 AM »
I would think that Thomas is the perfect centerfielder type safety that would help Pettine's defense, but I also think it is a longshot that he would end up in GB. Both Dallas and KC showed interest in trading for him last year and both look to be closer to a championship on paper than GB. If all things are equal he will probably end up in one of those two places.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 10:44:20 AM »

@TomSilverstein
 Feb 18

More
Pettine said his vision this year is to make a big jump. We spent so much time on what to do and not on how to do it. We know better what our skill set is and what we want to get done.

To me the safety position is an interesting one to watch play out. This time of year fans just want to see as much shuffling of the deck as possible because that makes them feel like their team is really trying hard to improve, the above comment from Pettine leads me to believe that a second year in his system is far more important to him than shuffling in a new group and starting from square one again. Probably the first telling move from the front office will be if they tender Kendrell Brice as a RFA, if they do, that probably tells us that they still view him as an ascending player and part of the future of the defense moving forward.

Adding a player that fits well in their scheme and improves the defense is and always will be welcome additions, but just adding another teams cast-off warm body like what has been done a handful of time the past couple of years does no good for the short term or long term of the team.

Free agency and the draft may playout with the Packers adding 2 or 3 new safeties to the opening day 53. But it could also playout that 5 of the safeties currently under contract are the 5 opening day safeties. If  Tramon Williams, Josh Jones, Kentrell Brice,  Raven Greene and Natrell Jamerson end up the opening day safeties is that a doable group? Maybe Josh Jackson is moved to safety this off season. The Packers will add players to every position group this off season including the safeties, but the position is not as dire as some people in Packer nation suggest.