May 26, 2019, 06:29:34 AM

Author Topic: Earl Thomas  (Read 2374 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Earl Thomas
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 08:49:06 AM »

@TomSilverstein
 Feb 18

More
Pettine said his vision this year is to make a big jump. We spent so much time on what to do and not on how to do it. We know better what our skill set is and what we want to get done.

To me the safety position is an interesting one to watch play out. This time of year fans just want to see as much shuffling of the deck as possible because that makes them feel like their team is really trying hard to improve, the above comment from Pettine leads me to believe that a second year in his system is far more important to him than shuffling in a new group and starting from square one again. Probably the first telling move from the front office will be if they tender Kendrell Brice as a RFA, if they do, that probably tells us that they still view him as an ascending player and part of the future of the defense moving forward.

Adding a player that fits well in their scheme and improves the defense is and always will be welcome additions, but just adding another teams cast-off warm body like what has been done a handful of time the past couple of years does no good for the short term or long term of the team.

Free agency and the draft may playout with the Packers adding 2 or 3 new safeties to the opening day 53. But it could also playout that 5 of the safeties currently under contract are the 5 opening day safeties. If  Tramon Williams, Josh Jones, Kentrell Brice,  Raven Greene and Natrell Jamerson end up the opening day safeties is that a doable group? Maybe Josh Jackson is moved to safety this off season. The Packers will add players to every position group this off season including the safeties, but the position is not as dire as some people in Packer nation suggest.

To that end................Remember that S/Ibraheim Campbell (IR) was drafted by Pettine in 2015 at Cleveland. Picking him up last year may be an interesting thing to watch this off season as well.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 08:58:43 AM »
Agree that he is worth watching and he should be a cheap re-sign if they do like him as an option for next season. As of right now he is a free agent and not a member of the Packers. But yes, it would not be a surprise in the least if he was on the opening day roster. Knows the system, plus one for him.

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 10:35:13 AM »
 Don't forget about Tony Brown, tough guy with a ton of intensity. Total theft by Gute on that acquisition.

Offline croquet

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 09:49:15 AM »
Agree on Tony Brown.  Intensity but a bit of a loose cannon.  If the coaching staff can channel that energy along with a jump in maturity he could be a force.  Stupid penalties after plays can kill a stop.

Offline davekenya

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 07:41:12 AM »
Haven't analysts said that Mathieu would better fit GB's defensive scheme and match well with his talents; with Collins next up?  I've heard for a year in the Seattle media that Thomas would like to return to Texas (acknowledging that could be Thomas trying to leverage a better 'Hawks contract).

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2019, 10:22:24 AM »
Haven't analysts said that Mathieu would better fit GB's defensive scheme and match well with his talents; with Collins next up?  I've heard for a year in the Seattle media that Thomas would like to return to Texas (acknowledging that could be Thomas trying to leverage a better 'Hawks contract).

I haven't read anything from analysts on the best fits for the Packers in FA, but don't agree with those assessments. Mathieu would be fine because he is a player with a broad range of skills, but don't believe he is worth the high end contract that he is probably going to receive. Collins skillset is not a fit at all, not great in coverage and best when playing close to the line/in the box. Pettine seems to love his 3 safety package and in that package safeties need to be able to have some coverage skills. I have stated this earlier in this thread that I don't think there is much of a chance of Thomas coming to GB, but he is the ideal safety for Pettine's defense. IMO

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 07:25:25 AM »
I think Mathieu is a fit for Green Bay in two ways, he'll be cheaper than the other top tiers and he should be willing to come to the Packers. I hope they sign him. He's still a very good safety.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2019, 10:27:15 AM »

@TomSilverstein
 Feb 18

More
Pettine said his vision this year is to make a big jump. We spent so much time on what to do and not on how to do it. We know better what our skill set is and what we want to get done.

To me the safety position is an interesting one to watch play out. This time of year fans just want to see as much shuffling of the deck as possible because that makes them feel like their team is really trying hard to improve, the above comment from Pettine leads me to believe that a second year in his system is far more important to him than shuffling in a new group and starting from square one again. Probably the first telling move from the front office will be if they tender Kendrell Brice as a RFA, if they do, that probably tells us that they still view him as an ascending player and part of the future of the defense moving forward.

Adding a player that fits well in their scheme and improves the defense is and always will be welcome additions, but just adding another teams cast-off warm body like what has been done a handful of time the past couple of years does no good for the short term or long term of the team.

Free agency and the draft may playout with the Packers adding 2 or 3 new safeties to the opening day 53. But it could also playout that 5 of the safeties currently under contract are the 5 opening day safeties. If  Tramon Williams, Josh Jones, Kentrell Brice,  Raven Greene and Natrell Jamerson end up the opening day safeties is that a doable group? Maybe Josh Jackson is moved to safety this off season. The Packers will add players to every position group this off season including the safeties, but the position is not as dire as some people in Packer nation suggest.

To that end................Remember that S/Ibraheim Campbell (IR) was drafted by Pettine in 2015 at Cleveland. Picking him up last year may be an interesting thing to watch this off season as well.

Verified account

@TomSilverstein
Follow
Follow @TomSilverstein

More
#Packers still have an interest in bringing back free agent S Ibraheim Campbell. However, he tore his ACL against Arizona, which the team didn't disclose. He was very effective in his short stint after being picked up on waivers. Could be ready by training camp and brought back.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2019, 10:34:56 AM »
It is being floated around the combine that Earl Thomas agent is looking for 13M a year and 78M total with a high signing bonus. This for a guy that couldn't finish the last 2 seasons with injuries and talked about retiring 2 years ago. Sounds like a guy that just wants to stink it to someone on the way out the door.

Verified account

@fishsports
Follow
Follow @fishsports

More
Listen, if Earl Thomas can get a $78M+ contract avg $13M+ a year? More power to him!

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 08:32:04 AM »
Hard pass on Thomas at 13M per, I actually saw a recent tweet that suggested he was looking for 15M per. This guy isn't a team player, has purposely missed team practices in the past, seems to just care about getting paid. Also, he is coming off a major injury, and had also broken a bone (tibia I think?) a couple years back as well I recall running into Kam, I would take caution with paying someone who is definitely becoming injury prone.

I'm all for paying for a free agent, and safety seems like the smart choice, because we definitely could use a veteran presence in our secondary, the problem is that Thomas seems destined for Dallas, Collins while available I feel like could get franchised by New York, so that really leaves two options in Joyner and Mathieu that we would have to fight with a bunch of other teams for.