May 25, 2019, 12:08:42 PM

Author Topic: NFL Combine  (Read 2163 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: NFL Combine
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2019, 06:36:23 AM »
Same could be said for Erik McCoy (Walterfootball has him pegged as a 2nd-3rd round pick), who at 6-4/303 ran a blistering 4.89 "40" and put up 29 reps on the bench.

But his 3-cone was a disastrous 8.28 and 4.62 20-shuttle.

No thanks

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 07:28:44 AM »
Rob Havenstein put up some absolutely terrible combine stats a couple years ago.  I remember thinking this guy can’t be an NFL caliber player while I watched.  He may have been the best player on the Rams OL - should have been a Pro-Bowler if not an All-Pro.  Combine numbers aren’t everything.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 07:30:05 AM by ThatGuy284 »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 08:05:21 AM »
Rob Havenstein put up some absolutely terrible combine stats a couple years ago.  I remember thinking this guy can’t be an NFL caliber player while I watched.  He may have been the best player on the Rams OL - should have been a Pro-Bowler if not an All-Pro.  Combine numbers aren’t everything.

But they need to start somewhere and their needs to be a process for paring down the resumes. Their will always be the outliers, but quickest way to the unemployment line for NFL GM's would be trying to live by the exception to the rule. For some of us fans who we are not allowed in the Generals Quarters, we are just attempting to connect some of the dots and history tells us that their is a Packers type for each position. And the guessing begins for all of us.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2019, 08:13:01 AM »
Same could be said for Erik McCoy (Walterfootball has him pegged as a 2nd-3rd round pick), who at 6-4/303 ran a blistering 4.89 "40" and put up 29 reps on the bench.

No thanks

Interesting thing here danno is that he checks all the Packers boxes except the 3-cone and that was oddly awful compared to the other numbers. I noted last night in going though the combine numbers to watch for his pro day and see if he does another 3-cone there. Did he stumble in the drill or was he just that bad? I curious to see a second attempt.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 08:31:48 AM »
Early alphabetical list of combine OL's that may be Packer types.

Paul Adams, Missouri
Ryan Bates, Penn State
Garrett Bradbury, NC State
Andre Dillard, Washington State
Hjolte Froholte, Arkansas
Mitch Hyatt, Clemson
Michael Jordon, Ohio State
Chris Lindstrom, Boston College
Kaleb McGary, Washington
Connor McGovern, Penn State
Trey Pipkins, Sioux Falls
Dalton Risner, Kansas State
Tyler Roemer, San Diego State

Offline bmaafi

• Second String
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2019, 08:46:11 AM »
Noah fant killing it. He showed up at 250 and ran a 4.5, did 20 reps on the bench and his arms are actually almost an inch longer than TJ's. He might not even be there at 30.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2019, 10:02:45 AM »
Yeah, I agree.

Right now, with what he is doing, I do not think he will be there at 30.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2019, 10:21:06 AM »

No thanks

Interesting thing here danno is that he checks all the Packers boxes except the 3-cone and that was oddly awful compared to the other numbers. I noted last night in going though the combine numbers to watch for his pro day and see if he does another 3-cone there. Did he stumble in the drill or was he just that bad? I curious to see a second attempt.

Lindstrom has checked all the boxes.

Day 1 starter at RG.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2019, 10:27:37 AM »
Noah fant killing it. He showed up at 250 and ran a 4.5, did 20 reps on the bench and his arms are actually almost an inch longer than TJ's. He might not even be there at 30.

Irv Smith with a nice showing as well, and Josh Oliver has improved his draft stock too. I think GB wants Hockenson, but are digging in to Smith as a 2nd option if Hockenson is gone.

Maybe people become more enamored with Fant and it pushes Hockenson down a little bit.

I've been worried Hockenson might be gone by #12 even.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2019, 10:50:22 AM »
This is a very nice group of TE's this year. After Hockenson, Fant and Smith, I'm really warming to the trio of Dawson Knox, Josh Oliver and Kahale Warring. If a Plan B was to add one of those 3 in the 3rd round, I think I would be okay with that outcome.   

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2019, 11:43:52 AM »
Very telling drill for TE's.

@NFLDraft
Follow
Follow @NFLDraft

More
Top official short shuttles for tight ends at #NFLCombine:

1. Foster Moreau, @LSUfootball, 4.11
2. TJ Hockenson, @HawkeyeFootball, 4.18
3. Noah Fant, @HawkeyeFootball, 4.22
4. Kahale Warring, @GoAztecs, 4.25
5. Dawson Knox, @OleMissFB, 4.27

Offline bmaafi

• Second String
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2019, 12:24:00 PM »

Irv Smith with a nice showing as well, and Josh Oliver has improved his draft stock too. I think GB wants Hockenson, but are digging in to Smith as a 2nd option if Hockenson is gone.

Maybe people become more enamored with Fant and it pushes Hockenson down a little bit.

I kind of disagree about Smith. He showed up at 6'2, which is a bit of a red flag for a TE, he had the second shortest arms of all the TE's. He  ran well but the rest of his numbers were either 'eh' or not good. He had a terrible 3 cone time, 3rd slowest which might mean hes more of a linear athlete that lacks quickness I.E. stiff. To me he has slipped on my board and I see him as a 3rd or 4th rounder now.

Offline bmaafi

• Second String
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2019, 12:35:33 PM »
Also DK Metcalf is a complete freak. Some is going to fall in love with his athleticism and take him top 10, which is good for GB it means a player that maybe GB didn't have a shot at now they might.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2019, 02:21:51 PM »

I kind of disagree about Smith. He showed up at 6'2, which is a bit of a red flag for a TE, he had the second shortest arms of all the TE's. He  ran well but the rest of his numbers were either 'eh' or not good. He had a terrible 3 cone time, 3rd slowest which might mean hes more of a linear athlete that lacks quickness I.E. stiff. To me he has slipped on my board and I see him as a 3rd or 4th rounder now.

I think the question is........Does he fit what MLF wants a TE to be able to do in the new offense to be installed?

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/01/packers-meet-with-alabama-te-irv-smith-jr-expect-to-set-up-official-visit/

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2019, 04:33:47 PM »
 The WR group looks strong this year. Parris Campbell, A J Brown, Deebo Samuel, Darius Slayton, Emanuel Hall and Mecole Hardman look to be good additions for slot type players.