March 22, 2019, 06:14:14 AM

Author Topic: NFL Combine  (Read 1621 times)

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
Re: NFL Combine
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2019, 04:50:51 PM »
 Actually, Slayton is more of a developmental player. McLaurin and Dixon from Ohio St. are a couple more options for slot types. Dixon had some serious injury concerns years back, but looks like he can play.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2019, 05:27:11 PM »

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2019, 06:26:46 PM »
Thanks Danno, good stuff. Hardman sure has jets, would be a good one for us. Looking like a deep draft this year.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2019, 09:23:47 AM »
Also DK Metcalf is a complete freak. Some is going to fall in love with his athleticism and take him top 10, which is good for GB it means a player that maybe GB didn't have a shot at now they might.

Metcalf is an unbelievable athlete, but he is not a top 10 pick. He might not even be a 1st round pick. 40 times are great, but two of the most important testing times for a WR is the 3-cone drill and the 20 yard shuttle. In the 3-cone he was 7.38 (2nd slowest of all WR's) and the 20 yard shuttle 4.5 (4th slowest of all WR's). Add in that his speed and strength seldom translate to the football field. Oh did I mention he broke his neck last season.

Someone said at the combine that he needs to end the love affair with the dumbbell and fall in love with a yoga mat. Right now he is way to stiff to be a great WR. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2019, 10:03:11 AM »
But if Al Davis was still alive...............................?  ;D

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2019, 10:04:37 AM »
Rashon Gary and Montez Sweat most likely cinched top 10 status.

Someone spectacular is going to fall to GB at #12.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 10:05:44 AM by dannobanano »

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2019, 10:50:58 AM »
Rashon Gary and Montez Sweat most likely cinched top 10 status.

Someone spectacular is going to fall to GB at #12.

That is it in a nutshell, one hell of a player will be available at #12.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2019, 11:20:21 AM »
I thought Brian Burns looked very fluid on the field. He isn't crazy lightweight anymore either (in the 240's).

Though the Combine's 'blue ribbon' event is the 40 dash (shades of the Olympics where it is the 100m), it gets way too much coverage. It's usually the 3 cone and shuttle that are more revealing, as others here have suggested. Great cone and shuttle times for players taken deeper in the draft, give you something to hang your hat on in rounds 6 and 7 especially.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline bmaafi

• Second String
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2019, 04:10:53 PM »
Also DK Metcalf is a complete freak. Some is going to fall in love with his athleticism and take him top 10, which is good for GB it means a player that maybe GB didn't have a shot at now they might.

Metcalf is an unbelievable athlete, but he is not a top 10 pick. He might not even be a 1st round pick. 40 times are great, but two of the most important testing times for a WR is the 3-cone drill and the 20 yard shuttle. In the 3-cone he was 7.38 (2nd slowest of all WR's) and the 20 yard shuttle 4.5 (4th slowest of all WR's). Add in that his speed and strength seldom translate to the football field. Oh did I mention he broke his neck last season.

Someone said at the combine that he needs to end the love affair with the dumbbell and fall in love with a yoga mat. Right now he is way to stiff to be a great WR.

Darius Hayward-bey.....it only takes one team to fall in love with the 40, size, strength, and leaping ability.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2019, 07:18:55 PM »
Early alphabetical list of combine WR's that may be Packer types.

Miles Boykon, Notre Dame - This is the guy that is at least 3 inches taller than Packer Joe.
Ashton Dulin, Malone
Emanuel Hall, Missouri
Olabisi Johnson, Colorado State - Packers new WR coach coached him in college.
DaMarkus Lodge, Mississippi
Terry McLaurin, Ohio State
Stanley Morgan, Nebraska
David Sills V, West Virginia
Darious Slayton, Auburn
Cody Thompson, Toledo

There is going to be some very good 3rd day values with WR's again this year.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2019, 09:28:01 AM »
Just reading a bunch of tweets from nation draft guys covering the combine, I think the count I have from them right now is they have 28 different players that are surefire top 10 guys. Must be that new math that I just can't seem to grasp.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2019, 09:54:03 AM »
Of all the safeties in the draft and FA, my number one choice of all of them would be Juan Thornhill from Virginia. I can not think of a more perfect Safety for Pettine's defense, other than maybe a young Earl Thomas. It will be interesting to see where his draft shock shakes out after the combine by the talking heads.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2019, 12:11:04 PM »
I'm in agreement there RT.   Would be extremely happy with Thornhill.     

IMO - would be a great offseason if we could add Landon Collins and Thornhill.

I really like Chauncey Gardner-Johnson too -- very different player than Thornhill though

Offline bmaafi

• Second String
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2019, 12:45:58 PM »
I'm in agreement there RT.   Would be extremely happy with Thornhill.     

IMO - would be a great offseason if we could add Landon Collins and Thornhill.

I really like Chauncey Gardner-Johnson too -- very different player than Thornhill though

I like Thornhill but like CGJ a little better. I see him as a free safety version of Leroy Butler. Guy who can do everything very well and go to multiple pro bowls.

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2019, 01:04:48 PM »
 Darnell Savage is a bit undersized, but has elite speed and can play the position. Safety looks like a deep position group with some of the bigger physical corners that could be converted. May be some good options in round 4.