May 26, 2019, 07:17:17 AM

Author Topic: Matthews re-signing?  (Read 1369 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Matthews re-signing?
« on: March 01, 2019, 09:42:10 AM »
Verified account

@TomSilverstein
Follow
Follow @TomSilverstein

More
Agent David Dunn and #Packers negotiator Russ Ball meeting at the Westin in Indy. Could they be talking about @ClayMatthews52? Pretty good chance, I would say.

Add in Gute's very positive comments about Clay at the combine and their may well be something there. Where there is smoke, often their is fire.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Matthews re-signing?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 10:17:09 AM »
Id rather pay for production rather than the name.  I hope they dont go overboard for him, and are just getting numbers in case?  IMO, he got off the juice after his last contract, and hes a shell of his former self. Not a popular stance, but JMO.

I wouldnt be opposed to a MUCH smaller contract for him.  No idea what he's looking for.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 10:20:15 AM by The GM »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 10:21:08 AM »
Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow
Follow @RobDemovsky

More
Source close to Packers OLB Nick Perry said he wouldn't be surprised if the Packers declined to pay the $4.8 million roster bonus due on March 15. However, he wasn't sure if the Packers would offer a restructure or just move on.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 10:56:33 AM »
Id rather pay for production rather than the name.  I hope they dont go overboard for him, and are just getting numbers in case?  IMO, he got off the juice after his last contract, and hes a shell of his former self. Not a popular stance, but JMO.

I wouldnt be opposed to a MUCH smaller contract for him.  No idea what he's looking for.

What is interesting about your comment GM is that just about every name that fans throw out there are bigger names with little to no game. High production players seldom reach the open market. If Matthews returns to GB it will be a very team friendly deal, that is a given. Matthews probably very okay with giving the hometown discount to finish his career in the same place he started it. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 03:13:06 PM »

What is interesting about your comment GM is that just about every name that fans throw out there are bigger names with little to no game. High production players seldom reach the open market. If Matthews returns to GB it will be a very team friendly deal, that is a given. Matthews probably very okay with giving the hometown discount to finish his career in the same place he started it.

Just hoping for the best bang for the buck.  Id be surprised if Matthews didnt shop himself, perhaps his agent already has.  Not sure if Matthews is the home discount type but well see.  As you mentioned, looks like the Packers are talking to him, so they must have some initial interest.

Matthews agent David Dunn is also the agent for S Landon Collins, so there may be some of that going on too?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:32:07 PM by The GM »

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 10:03:16 PM »
He can still generate pressure and remains a versatile player on defense. Resigning him may be their best option for the immediate future until they address the position.

Matthews agent David Dunn is also the agent for S Landon Collins, so there may be some of that going on too?

Unlikely, the rules are strict about negotiations between other teams and players, really any sort of communication is put under the microscope and scrutinized. They have to wait until the negotiating period, which begins on March 12 and ends on the first day of Free Agency. They wouldn't be able to have any significant discussions on Collins' situation.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 07:16:20 AM »
He can still generate pressure and remains a versatile player on defense. Resigning him may be their best option for the immediate future until they address the position.

Unlikely, the rules are strict about negotiations between other teams and players, really any sort of communication is put under the microscope and scrutinized. They have to wait until the negotiating period, which begins on March 12 and ends on the first day of Free Agency. They wouldn't be able to have any significant discussions on Collins' situation.

Those are the rules.  Do I think teams talk to agents to gauge interest and get an idea of what they are looking for dollar-wise?  I do.  I dont think offers are made, but I do think everything short of an offer is done there at the combine in many cases.  JMO

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 06:49:07 AM »
Those are the rules.  Do I think teams talk to agents to gauge interest and get an idea of what they are looking for dollar-wise?  I do.  I dont think offers are made, but I do think everything short of an offer is done there at the combine in many cases.  JMO

Yea those are exactly the sort of talks they can't have. Touch base? Yea probably, but anything that might give a team an advantage signing a player is prohibited. Definitely no dollar amounts.

I believe what you're talking about is already done through rumors and isn't worth risking penalty.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 07:01:18 AM »
....What is interesting about your comment GM is that just about every name that fans throw out there are bigger names with little to no game. High production players seldom reach the open market. If Matthews returns to GB it will be a very team friendly deal, that is a given. Matthews probably very okay with giving the hometown discount to finish his career in the same place he started it.

May be right.  I wonder, though?  Not sure that Matthews is necessarily interested or willing to give hometown discount.  He's a pretty proud and competitive guy, and sometimes  guys see the $$ as a reflection of the respect and appreciation they are given. 

2nd, not sure how off-field rooted he is in Green Bay.  Maybe he is, but I'm not sure he has the kind of roots that Jordy had planted, with wife's friends and activities, kids in school, etc..  Perhaps it's a non-factor; or perhaps he'd rather try a different place just for the experience?

3rd, the Packers have been a losing, non-playoff team for the last couple of years, and their QB is aging and hasn't played at an elite level for a couple of years now.  Maybe that hunger to play for a serious SB contender might motivate him to consider other spots, or a team that's on the rise ?

4th, he may have reached a certain frustration with what the Packer front group can do, and he within it.  Maybe he loves playing with Perry, Fackrell, Gilbert, and Donnerson, and with the creative things that can be done with Martinez and Morrison and Burks and Redmond at ILB.  But it may also be possible that he'd like to have a shot playing in a defensive system with a different collection of teammates, maybe some he perceives as being even better than Fackrell or Gilbert?  The "I wonder what it would be like to try...." curiosity can be strong for a lot of men.   As can be "grass is greener...." speculation.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 07:21:03 AM »
.... If Matthews returns to GB it will be a very team friendly deal, that is a given. ...

I'm not sure on that premise, either?  Packers are a team with a losing record and some money to spend.  They will try to spend it as best they can.  I'm not sure that either the losing record, the unknown new coach, or the geographic location make Green Bay a dream FA target, that FA's are going to take team-friendly deals to get to.  Why would they? 

So I suspect that Green Bay is going to do what's perhaps more typical in FA; make market-normal signings, or perhaps make signings that are variably "overpay" signings, as is pretty normal in FA.  Why should a guy ever take a below-market deal, or even a right-at-what-the-other-29-teams-perceive-as-market?

I think all those same factors could apply to Matthews as well. He'll probably get deal that seems market normal, whether here or elsewhere.  A deal where if health and circumstances/fit go right, he might possibly outperform the money; where if healthy he'll likely perform to the money; and if guy ages or gets hurt, good chance he'll underperform to the money.  I guess I'm not sure that calculus would be likely to be any more team-friendly or lower-priced for Packers/Matthews than for other guys they are considering spending their discretionary money on. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 08:27:06 AM »
Matthews has put down roots in Green Bay (don't know why any So-Cal guy would want to stay after this winter though!), but as we have seen (ei. Jordy Nelson) nothing is permanent.

(1) I think GB has met with CM3's agent to ascertain what Matthews/agent think his market value is going to be.

(2) They will let CM3 test the market to see what other teams think his market value is.

(3) If that value is within GB's "budget", they will have an "understanding" with CM3 and his agent that GB will be allowed to match market value to retain his services.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 03:38:36 PM »
I'm not against re-signing Matthews for the right price if we make some other moves to complement him. Maybe trade for Dee Ford? Draft a guy in the 1st round? Sign Shaq Barrett?