May 26, 2019, 06:05:57 AM

Author Topic: Edge Rusher  (Read 1409 times)

Offline morango

• HOF Member
Edge Rusher
« on: March 03, 2019, 07:10:57 AM »
There are some rumors floating around that Gute might be looking at Edge in free agency, despite the premium prices often seen there. The names mentioned are second-tier guys like Preston Smith (Wash) and Zadarius Smith (Balt). They are both young (25 yrs and 26 yrs respectively I think), talented, high-effort guys who are unlikely to be franchised and will be in the packers' price range (ie they won't totally break the bank).

So... thoughts on these guys? And also thoughts on how it would affect the draft?

IMO, I am all in favor of signing one of them if they want to come to GB and play. It takes some of the pressure off signing a pass rusher at all costs with a first round pick, but still allowing that option if thats how the draft falls. Since both of these guys are bigger (265 lbs) they can function as the elephant LBer and make it easier for Gute to consider one of the speed guys in the draft such as Brian Burns and/or Polite. Would also allow packers to go for edge rusher later in the draft and focus on OL, TE, DL, WR etc, earlier.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Edge Rusher
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 08:52:22 AM »
Can't forget that while Preston Smith played his entire career (so far) at WASH, he was coached by current Packers LB coach, Kirk Olivadotti.

Could that connection play a role in GB making a strong bid for his services in FA?
Stay tuned.

I like Za'Darius Smith as well, and also Shaq Barrett of DEN.

Taking Edge/OLB off the table as the "must have" pick at #12, gives Gute a lot more flexibility in letting a BPA pick fall to him.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 10:01:52 AM »
I don't believe it will affect the draft much. It might affect their first pick if they don't sign a pass rusher in FA.

Not sure we are considering Polite to be a speed rusher anymore. He put on weight for the combine and didn't respond well to the added weight, ran a fairly abysmal 4.84.

Burns and Sweat are the speed rushers of this class. Winovich impressed as well with a 4.6 40 and what looks to be about a 1.65 10 yard split. Sweat really surprised everyone but his lack of agility is apparent on tape, so I don't believe it helps him that much.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 11:16:02 AM »
Sweat was supposed to only weigh about 245-250, but came in at 260 lbs and still ran a stupid fast time.

He's not going to need the 3-cone/20 shuttle to impress someone as a hand-in-the-dirt DE.

Someone will draft him as a 4-3 DE now, and he will be possible top 10.

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 01:42:51 PM »
 Looks like Ferrel, Burns and Polite will be the last available of the top group of pass rushers at #12. Out of that group I would prefer Burns, but is he the better prospect over Hockenson?

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 01:48:30 PM »
Looks like Ferrel, Burns and Polite will be the last available of the top group of pass rushers at #12. Out of that group I would prefer Burns, but is he the better prospect over Hockenson?

I really liked the look of Burns at the combine. Very agile, very in control, good enough weight now (over 240), great production in college. He'd be my top pick. I like Hockenson as well, but I think there are decent TEs later, not as good as him, but good enough as (imo) the dropoff at Edge is faster than at TE.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline SET4YRS

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 02:07:43 PM »

I really liked the look of Burns at the combine. Very agile, very in control, good enough weight now (over 240), great production in college. He'd be my top pick. I like Hockenson as well, but I think there are decent TEs later, not as good as him, but good enough as (imo) the dropoff at Edge is faster than at TE.

It was shocking how many pass rushers that decided not to participate after accepting the invite. Winovich was the only one that vastly improved his stock and some developmental athletes showed up worthy of being drafted later. I guess we finally saw a position group that was overhyped. Big drop off for the pass rush group where we pick, but also a big drop off after Hockenson. Potential All-Pro TE vs potential elite pass rusher. Good problem to have i guess thumbsup)
    [/list]

Online RT

• HOF Member
    « Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 03:36:12 PM »

In listening to Tony Pauline last night, he stated that in his conversations with NFL scouts that their were only 5 elite pass rushing Edge players in this draft. The order he gave I believe was Burns, Polite, Bosa, Allen and Sweat. Bosa is the better all around player and will be drafted higher, but as for pure pass rushing that was the order. Ferrell is not considered one of the players in that first group from what Pauline said he is hearing. 

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
    « Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 03:47:05 PM »
    At this rate I feel like we've got to sign a guy AND draft a guy early to get this pass rush back into shape.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
    « Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 04:32:41 PM »
    If they sign a young Edge guy, like a Preston Smith-Shaq Barrett-Za'Darius Smith, then I don't think they need to burn a real high pick on one in the draft.

Middle rounds will offer some nice value with guys like Shareef Miller, Ben Banagu, Gerri Green, or Justin Hollins, just to name a few. These are some players that we could keep an eye on.

Online RT

• HOF Member
    « Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 11:24:52 AM »
    I think that the Packers may well be more interested in guys about to be released like Justin Houston and Jamie Collins.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
    « Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »
    I think that the Packers may well be more interested in guys about to be released like Justin Houston and Jamie Collins.

Not that I'd be against Houston, but isn't he getting a little long in the tooth?

Collins could be interesting.

A lot of scuttle-butt out there suggesting Gute goes after multiple Edge guys in FA.

Smith & Smith are getting a lot of ink, while several of us here have also advocated for Shaq Barrett.

Remember Shane Ray and Aaron Lynch (who lost his starting spot to Kahlil Mack) as well.

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
    « Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 11:00:08 AM »
    Sweat really showed well.  I liked Ferrell all along.  He manhandled the Alabama OL!  He threw their all american tackle about three yards into a running back carrying the ball in the title game!  He'd be an offally good DE.  He'd be about 100 times better that that ass clown we have now!  (IE Perry)

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
      • Uncover
    « Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 11:36:37 AM »
    Edge rusher verses DE, you know it may not be much of a difference, but when I see Ferrell, I see a faster, more athletic ZaDarious Smith. Smith has him by 10-15 pounds, but both guys are that nebulous DE/Edge players. I would love for Green Bay to pick up both of those guys.
    In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
    « Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 12:40:13 PM »
    The kid from LA tech (Ferguson) is intrigueing.  I know folks like Brian Jones from Florida State, but I still have a bitter pain in my stomach when we drafted Jamal Reynolds from Florida State and he proved to be a whole lot of nothing.  Actually, the big kid from Iowa would be a good mix with who we have and who we are getting!  Polite, I'm not sure because I didn't see him or Jones play in alot of games this year, so I'm not a fair observer. I have seen Deondre Baker OLB/edge (Georgia) and he is a player and somewhat crazy.  He's Wayne Simmons crazy.  Zach Allen from Boston College is also pretty darn good.