March 22, 2019, 05:03:52 AM

Author Topic: Edge Rusher  (Read 1033 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Edge Rusher
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 01:05:13 PM »
The kid from LA tech (Ferguson) is intrigueing.  I know folks like Brian Jones from Florida State, but I still have a bitter pain in my stomach when we drafted Jamal Reynolds from Florida State and he proved to be a whole lot of nothing.  Actually, the big kid from Iowa would be a good mix with who we have and who we are getting!  Polite, I'm not sure because I didn't see him or Jones play in alot of games this year, so I'm not a fair observer. I have seen Deondre Baker OLB/edge (Georgia) and he is a player and somewhat crazy.  He's Wayne Simmons crazy.  Zach Allen from Boston College is also pretty darn good.

I checked all the prospects lists I could find and scanned them up and down a couple of time, could find no Brian Jones from Florida State.  And this Deondre Baker OLB/edge (Georgia) you speak of, I did find a Deandre Baker at Georgia who is a 190 pound CB. Is it possible that this some sort of alternate universe or reality that exists with the NFL draft this year? Very puzzling. 

Offline Cheesemaker

• Rookie
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 08:48:57 PM »
Pretty sure Brian Jones = Brian Burns & Deondre Baker = D’Andre Walker

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 06:50:21 AM »
Assuming the Packers go Edge rusher at #12 (and I accept that they might not),  How would you rank these prospects ? N.Bosa and J.Allen are going to be gone, but that leaves several good ones. Rank these 5 guys. Rashaan Gary  (he is sort of an edge guy), Montez Sweat, Clelin Ferrell, Brian Burns, Jachai Polite.

For me (and I expect most people to disagree with me), I'd go Ferrell > Burns > Sweat > Gary > Polite. If you stuck Ed Oliver in the mix (he could play in a lot of places), I'd have him at the top of the list.

The reason I like Ferrell higher than many others might, is that I love the power element to his game. I also love his leadership and intangibles. Burns has elite bend and great production, but lacks a power element. Montez Sweat is a little less fluid than Burns and a little stouter, he has speed too. Ferrell is not the athlete either Burns or Sweat is, but he has great hand use, a very good football brain, attacks with a plan and his only red flag is an ACL tear way back in 2014. It might be that Burns adds power to his game as he gets older and likely bigger, but that is uncertain. Sweat is somewhat between Burns and Ferrell.

Now the Packers probably choose either Sweat or Burns over Ferrell, because they just love high RAS scores and Burns and Sweat have them. here is their mockdraftable site scores (the higher the score, the better).
Burns: Height 71%, Weight 10%, Wingspan 95%, Arm Length 61%, Hand Size 59%, 40yd dash 97%, Vertical jump 81%, Broad Jump 97%, 3 cone 82% Bench not known
Sweat: Height 88%. Weight 33%,  Wingspan 98%, Arm Length 97%, Hand Size 79%, 40yd dash 97%, Vertical jump 96%, Broad jump 90%, Short shuttle 80%, 3 cone  and Bench not known
Ferrell: Height 695, Weight 43%, Wingspan 88%, Arm length 72%, Hand size 92%, 40yd dash not known, 3 cone 42%, Short shuttle 53% Bench 64%
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 07:03:54 AM »
If all are there @12, I would rank as follows:
1) Oliver
2) Gary
3) Ferrell
4) Burns
5) Sweat
6) Polite

First three because of the ability to play both the run and pass. Top 2 because of the versatility they provide, meaning they could be moved inside situationally. Burns and Polite may be the best pure edge rushers, but I have my doubts as to how they would hold up in the run game. Sweat to me is a wildcard. With technique work and good coaching, he may end up as the best of the bunch.

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 07:22:56 AM »

For me (and I expect most people to disagree with me), I'd go Ferrell > Burns > Sweat > Gary > Polite. If you stuck Ed Oliver in the mix (he could play in a lot of places), I'd have him at the top of the list.

The reason I like Ferrell higher than many others might, is that I love the power element to his game. I also love his leadership and intangibles. Burns has elite bend and great production, but lacks a power element. Montez Sweat is a little less fluid than Burns and a little stouter, he has speed too. Ferrell is not the athlete either Burns or Sweat is, but he has great hand use, a very good football brain, attacks with a plan and his only red flag is an ACL tear way back in 2014. It might be that Burns adds power to his game as he gets older and likely bigger, but that is uncertain. Sweat is somewhat between Burns and Ferrell.

After the combine, I am also expecting Sweat to go in the top 10. That athleticism is irresistible  for teams. Still, I would rank very similar to you:

1) Ferrell - For the power game and leadership; athleticism is good enough
2) Gary - Positional flexibility; Can play outside on running downs and slide inside for passing downs
3) Sweat - Agree he is a wildcard. Would not mind if the packers ended up with him
4) Burns - Maybe with a trade down into the 17-22 range?
5) Polite - Is not on my board at all

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 10:02:13 AM »
Assuming the Packers go Edge rusher at #12 (and I accept that they might not),  How would you rank these prospects ? N.Bosa and J.Allen are going to be gone, but that leaves several good ones. Rank these 5 guys. Rashaan Gary  (he is sort of an edge guy), Montez Sweat, Clelin Ferrell, Brian Burns, Jachai Polite.

Now the Packers probably choose either Sweat or Burns over Ferrell, because they just love high RAS scores and Burns and Sweat have them. here is their mockdraftable site scores (the higher the score, the better).
Burns: Height 71%, Weight 10%, Wingspan 95%, Arm Length 61%, Hand Size 59%, 40yd dash 97%, Vertical jump 81%, Broad Jump 97%, 3 cone 82% Bench not known
Sweat: Height 88%. Weight 33%,  Wingspan 98%, Arm Length 97%, Hand Size 79%, 40yd dash 97%, Vertical jump 96%, Broad jump 90%, Short shuttle 80%, 3 cone  and Bench not known
Ferrell: Height 695, Weight 43%, Wingspan 88%, Arm length 72%, Hand size 92%, 40yd dash not known, 3 cone 42%, Short shuttle 53% Bench 64%

Burns is a polished pass rusher. If it weren't for that 4.41 40 by Sweat he would be the talk of the draft at EDGE. I find Sweat to be a lot less fluid than Burns. When it comes to actual on the field, reactionary agility Burns wins by a mile. If he's available at 12 I fully expect Green Bay to draft him. He is on the lean side, but he defends the run well. Personally, I don't think he gets talked about enough and worth trading up for.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 10:14:22 AM »
Both Sweat and Burns are lean with body types capable of adding 10-15 more lbs of functional, maintainable weight over the next couple seasons

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 08:13:06 PM »
That is a very good question, Onetwosixfive. I would love to know the Packers ranking of that group. I'm going to guess they fall in this order,

1.) Gary
2.) Oliver
3.) Burns
4.) Ferrell
5.) Sweat
6.) Polite

If the Packers drafted any one of those six I would be very okay with it. Even Polite, hopefully if it is him it is with the 30th or 44th pick.