May 25, 2019, 01:08:21 PM

Author Topic: Dee Ford  (Read 1056 times)

Offline footballdad

• Starter
Dee Ford
« on: March 05, 2019, 03:18:15 PM »
With KC switching up to a 4-3, the tag would appear to be a way to lock him up and engineer a trade. What would YOU give up, if anything? Nick Perry is a good fit as a 4-3 DE. I would offer Perry and #30 as a start. They would say no, but that is what I would open with.

Online RT

• HOF Member
Re: Dee Ford
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 03:41:27 PM »
This topic was touch on in another thread already, but does a team give up a draft choice AND pay him a blockbuster deal on top of that? I wouldn't pay him period, he was basically considered a bust until his contract year. As I said before, smells like the Perry deal all over again. 

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 03:44:13 PM »
Gutey has GOT to kick the tires on acquiring Ford.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 03:46:48 PM »
With KC switching up to a 4-3, the tag would appear to be a way to lock him up and engineer a trade. What would YOU give up, if anything? Nick Perry is a good fit as a 4-3 DE. I would offer Perry and #30 as a start. They would say no, but that is what I would open with.

Also footballdad, the Chiefs are asking for a second so starting by offering a 1st doesn't sound like good negotiating to me.

Offline footballdad

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 03:50:43 PM »
Was not aware of that RT. I'll consider myself an idiot. Thanks for the correction.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 03:54:06 PM »
Was not aware of that RT. I'll consider myself an idiot. Thanks for the correction.

You're no idiot footballdad, you just didn't know. Keep firing away.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 04:23:49 PM »
Ford's a nice player, but he's pretty much a pure speed rusher. He offers little in converting speed to power.

Agree with RT on Ford.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 06:58:37 PM »
Thats a lot of money for Ford.  Somebody else can teach him how  not to line up in the neutral zone.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 08:58:26 PM »
Why would anyone want to pick up Perry's contract after last year?

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 09:11:37 AM »
Dee Ford has 25 sacks over his last 37 regular season games - including his injury shortened 2017 + another 1.5 in the Pkayiffs this year.  He had double digit sacks in both 2016 and 2018 - so definitely took some time to develop but it’s not like he suddenly showed up in his contract season and was never effective before.

Great article on Dee’s development and success this year with Mike Smith’s help.  Speaks to some of the no-speed-to-power concerns and pass-rush-only concerns being posted above:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2018/10/31/18042642/film-review-why-dee-ford-has-suddenly-become-the-real-deal

Injuries are my concern with Ford - but this is they NFL - everyone has injury concerns.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 09:45:36 AM »
Speed is still his calling card.

Has Ford improved his deficiencies? Yes, a lot.

The speed to power clip was a classic bad technique on the part of the OT. He waited for Ford to initiate contact rather than extend/punch Ford to keep him at arms length rather than get into his body. He did manage to redirect Ford, but the DT rushing inside forced the QB step up and into where the OT had redirected Ford.

Ford will win against poor/average OT's, but against the better OT's his success will be limited.

I just don't see him as someone who will command #20M/yr, which is what I have heard is being floated as what he/agent will be seeking.

twocents)  IMO

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 10:05:24 AM »

The speed to power clip was a classic bad technique on the part of the OT. He waited for Ford to initiate contact rather than extend/punch Ford to keep him at arms length rather than get into his body. He did manage to redirect Ford, but the DT rushing inside forced the QB step up and into where the OT had redirected Ford.

Ford will win against poor/average OT's, but against the better OT's his success will be limited.

I just don't see him as someone who will command #20M/yr, which is what I have heard is being floated as what he/agent will be seeking.

twocents)  IMO

Exactly, if a team is trading away a top pass rusher, you better look hard at why.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 10:10:45 AM »
No problem thinking $20mil/yr is too much — I’m in agreement there.   I think the exception I make is in the thinking he wouldn’t be a great fit or somehow is a deficient player.

Dee Ford was effective against everyone this past year - not just feasting on mediocre tackles.  Ford was a consistent terror all season whether he got to the QB or just disrupted their rhythm.  Beyond the sacks he had an excellent pressure rate and 55 tackles is great for a primary pass-rushing OLB.   

And similar to the Amos argument - probably bodes well for him if Mike Smith is with the Pack now and they may be interested
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 10:17:22 AM by ThatGuy284 »

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 10:12:10 AM »

The speed to power clip was a classic bad technique on the part of the OT. He waited for Ford to initiate contact rather than extend/punch Ford to keep him at arms length rather than get into his body. He did manage to redirect Ford, but the DT rushing inside forced the QB step up and into where the OT had redirected Ford. The

twocents)  IMO

Exactly, if a team is trading away a top pass rusher, you better look hard at why.

Like them transitioning to more of a 4-3 system?   Didn’t even have to look hard